what luxuries have you cut

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
127 replies 32K views

Replies

• edited 1 March 2011 at 9:55AM
    uolypooluolypool Forumite
    1.2K posts
    edited 1 March 2011 at 9:55AM
    Oooo what have I given up.................................................well here goes
    1)takeaways
    2)going to the corner shop, I use to spend so much money round there so now I dont go as I see it as a luxury
    3) buying stuff from the catalogue as now if I dont have the money outright I dont get it till I have saved for it.
    4)Costa coffee (use to end up here every time I went to town now go maybe once a month as a treat from my son)
    There must be lots more things I have given up as I never saw but now do see them as s a luxury.But my bank balance certainly looks healthier for giving up these few things so now I enjoy and appreciate things so much more and this is being instilled into the children I hope;)
    Paul Walker , in my dreams;)
  • This post is almost addictive! We were talking about it at work today too and I realised just how much we'd cut back. On top of the previous there's this lot!

Haircuts - I now seem to do the family though for wee one that's to save any poor hairdresser the hysterics!:eek:

OH tells me he cancelled the love film (explains the lack of dvd's in the post)

petrolprices.com no filling up without checking!

Wine only on special offer.

Occasional manicure but only as work colleague's daughter is coming in for practice for her college course. :j

Hair for me - dyed at home (stash a few when on offer) and cut at the local college. £6 and very well done.

Christmas toys for wee one in the Sainsburys half price sale. Keep eyes out it was a major bonus but you need sharp elbows! :eek:

Ebay for clothes, jewellery and some shoes. Sainsbury's jewellery nice too. Oxfam online is good too but more expensive. :(

Arguing over every renewal. Direct Line wanted 56% increase for nothing on car insurance. :mad: Now paying less than last year! Always do a separate online quote as they price match :D

And it continues............
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.wr.a.i.n.b.o.w Forumite
    633 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    JenniO wrote: »

Don't 'watch tv' - so don't have a TV license or SKY/freesat, etc. Just watch catup up tv online and haven't missed it a bit! Only use my tv now for DVD's or for the games console.

Don't say that too loud!! If you have a TV or DVD player, or anything that can receive TV signals (will probably include PCs very soon) then you should have a licence, even if it just sits in a cupboard and you just use it once a year for games/DVD!
  • JenniOJenniO Forumite
    547 posts
    Don't say that too loud!! If you have a TV or DVD player, or anything that can receive TV signals (will probably include PCs very soon) then you should have a licence, even if it just sits in a cupboard and you just use it once a year for games/DVD!

I can scream it from the hilltops, my friend. I duly informed them a few years ago. Have a look at this:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15/

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.
    You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.
  • mummysavermummysaver Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Think we have cut down rather than cut out our luxuries, it's always nice to have the odd treat and much more appreciated then!

Magazines aren't something I buy very often now, and the kids pay for any they want from their own pocket money, which has decreased the amount of recycling dramatically!

Takeaways tend to be only eaten at birthdays now, rather than as a regular occurance.

Wine, hugely cut down, despite a quick stock up at M&S the other day, and currently drinking none at all due to pregnancy!

Going out for meals has changed, I now tend to meet friends for lunch (lots of £5 deals locally, and the same food as you'd pay £20 for in the evenings), or treat the children when they're on holiday, rather than going out to eat in the evening.

Books are another thing I've cut down on, Amazon must miss me! I now do a round of the charity shops every so often, generally anything that has been on the bestseller lists, especially in the supermarkets, is in there in bulk a couple of months later!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    JenniO wrote: »
    I can scream it from the hilltops, my friend. I duly informed them a few years ago. Have a look at this:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ15/

What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You do not need a TV Licence if you only use your TV to watch videos and DVDs or as a monitor for your games console.
    You can tell us that you do not need a TV Licence by using our online declaration form. One of our Enforcement Officers may visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence.

you do need a lisence if your watching t.v online tho there was a whole thing about it a few years back, i paid mine this morning :( sometimes i hate doing it anually but there DD were so unreliable (cause theres 3 days either side) we kept getting charges from them taking it early :(
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • roosterpotatoesroosterpotatoes Forumite
    554 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    burge23 wrote: »
    Shoes - Clarks outlet shoe shop in Livingston is a godsend for school shoes and trainers. :D Thrift shop for other uniform. (We have a set and very expensive supplier). Next for basic uniform - better quality and cheaper than Marks and adjustable waist so no embarrassing playground moments. ;)

I have some close friends with older kids in the school my DS attends, I just ask them to save absolutely everything (within reason) They know we don't earn a huge amount so they ask other friends to do the same.

I always do the boys hair myself as well, only a number 4 with the hair clippers, but it looks neat :)

Because our school is just over 2 miles away and I have a 4 year old and 2 year old, we drive most of the time as we live in the sticks but on glorious days like today we would walk to collect him otherwise he would be falling asleep in school.:rotfl:

I have a rule where I never pay full price for toys, games etc and ALWAYS use Top Cash Back.

We very seldom go to the cinema, when we do it's usually a freebie as I won't pay full price and we also take our own drinks and snacks.

We never go to the chip shop or have other take aways, my line of thinking is "how much food could I have gotten with that x amount that I've just spent getting a pizza/burger/chippy"

Most of our clothes are off Ebay, because I then go on to sell previous clothes back on Ebay the money I have in my Paypal account goes on the new clothes, so I don't feel like i'm losing out:T

Re-reading all of this has made me come to realize how stingey I am;)
  • JenniOJenniO Forumite
    547 posts
    quintwins wrote: »
    you do need a lisence if your watching t.v online tho there was a whole thing about it a few years back, i paid mine this morning :( sometimes i hate doing it anually but there DD were so unreliable (cause theres 3 days either side) we kept getting charges from them taking it early :(

Okay, after this I will bow out of excusing my tv watching behaviour. I do not watch any tv 'live' as it is being broadcast because that is a 'no no'. But if I may, take a look at this:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ33/

Do I need a licence if I haven't got a TV and I watch telly on my laptop?

Yes. It doesn't make any difference how you watch TV. If you use any device (such as a laptop, PC or mobile phone) to watch television programmes as they're being shown on TV, the law requires you to have a TV Licence. You can buy a TV Licence online.
    You will not need a licence if you only view video clips on the Internet (via sites such as YouTube), as long as what you are viewing is not being shown on TV at the same time as you are viewing it.
  • greentgreent Forumite
    9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooh

We have far less takeaways (used to be 1 or 2/ wk), now 1/2 month
    Buy more 'value' foods
    Never buy magazines (my mum does and passes them on) except an occasional Xmas one
    Clothes from places like Next etc - far more likely to be Sainsburys in the sale :D
    DS2 & DS3 only get bought new clothes if they have to (eg shoes or things have worn out as passed down) - unless its by relatives for presents.
    DD gets quite a few clothes passed on by friend (thankfully - she is a teen and fussy!) Minimal bought new.
    Freecycle less - I try to sell it on ebay a couple of times first - not a luxury that I've given up, but a change I've made.
    Expensive shirts (work ones) for OH
    Less heating.
    Abel & Cole boxes - more home grown and Aldi bought
    M&S & Waitrose food shopping! :D Still do for deals, but only for deals - not everyday stuff!!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/19 £48986 2020 OPs (#18) £5010/6K
    Net sales 2020 £591.06/£500 Decluttering: 1900/2020
  • edited 1 March 2011 at 1:17PM
    misscousinittmisscousinitt Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 March 2011 at 1:17PM
    The things that we have cut back on haven't been that noticeable really.

The main thing I suppose is that we don't go to the pub very often now - usually just for a quick drink on friends birthdays! (4-5 times a year?) This really helped us save for the wedding.... (DH still goes out once a fortnight, but that is out of his money!)

We buy less bottles of wine per month, alot less takeaways, use vouchers for eating out most of the time (eating out was a really bad thing for us - try to only go out once a month now), down branded and shop at mainly tesco and aldi instead of asda and waitrose all this has saved us loads of money, not sure how much, but probably in the £hundred's per year.

I have less bought lunches at work too - restrict myself to one a week (sometimes less than that) and only a cheap one like sub of the day or jacket potato. Probably saved myself about £50-60 per year.

We don't actually want for anything and we eat very well, I think we are just used to it now.

However, it does mean that if we do want a treat every now and then, we have the means to go and do it without worrying about enjoying ourselves.
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)