Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

February 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 104

New Post Advanced Search

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.6K views

Replies

• Hurrah NSD yesterday!!!! but I do need some bits today however having gone through the fridge and freezer I have enough to make main meals to the end of the month!!!
    Quite an eye opener for me
    So on Fri & Sat I needed bits for baking and well just topping up :cool:
    Although I then seem to go mad and try to buy laods
    So as it stands I have spent 344.44 so to stay on track I have £5.56 to last until the 25th :D
    Must do better next month
    £112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 £22K /£10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!:shocked:
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here :D
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    980 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Went to Mr T's on Saturday and spent £14.08.
    Weight loss challenge 6/12lbs

• Afternoon all

Thoughts are with those having tough times right now....

I had a tiddly spend on Saturday (€2.20) -we had to nip to the naafi on Saturday as hubby won €500 on a slot machine last weekend and it short paid him €164 -so we went to pick that up, and well it would have been rude not to at least have a look wouldn't it :p
    So I picked up :-
    Tesco 10 slices ham -whoopsed to 20c a pack :j -so I got 6 and then 4 chicken breast whoopsed to €1... and whilst I was doing that hubby won another €150 :rotfl:....
    Anyhoo Im at 16nsds out of 20 so far this month :T and I shouldn't need a deal of anything -I have my meal plan sorted for the week and the freezers are still packed,,,

On the "meat free" night front, I have now found that hubby quite often requests things that are meat free (and he was a Mr. Carnivore:p) .... his ultimate fave is Jacket potato with cottage cheese and salad -and if it doesn't feature at least twice a week he goes all :( :rotfl:-luckily its one of my faves too....... easy cheesy veg pasta is also another fave (and SW friendly ;)),
    Tonight is the jacket, cottage cheese n salad mmmm and I have just taken the chicken n bacon out of the freezer for the SW coq au vin tomorrow...it is stunning...ooohh and another 1lb off for me this week meaning I have lost 110lb -so 1/3 of my body weight :j
    rigth enough waffle ..... have a lovely day all..
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Nice quiet weekend - 2 NSD's although I could have done with a bottle of wine to drown my sorrows over Scotland's rugby performance.

Need to go to Mr A to get bits for Valentine's dinner. Will be trying the first of my Donald Russell delivery tonight - Steak and chips here we come. Will have to see what Mr A has in the way of seafood for a starter. Think Lobster Thermidor might be a bit heavy.:rotfl: Scallops with ginger and chilli?

Don't want to pick up too much as DH won't cook while I'm away. Need to do a fridge empty tonight. Rubberised chicken going into pie for tomorrow night. Carcass in SC overnight for stock. I will NOT waste any food.:T
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • I know its halfway through the month but can I join in? I will do it weekly for this month and then monthly starting next month? My budget for this week (through till Sunday) is £60 thats for 2 adults and 3 children (one of whom is still on formula and in nappies).

Is this possible do you think??

Hope its ok to join now.

Lyns
    xxxx
    Competition wins...
    2 Books, Motorbike jacket
  • Spent quite a bit in Mr T today getting loads of dog food, cat food and cereal :o

Am adding only £8.59 to my total and taking off the money that I have spent for the food over the next few months as I need them (I don't need them now and only got it because it was on offer)

What a beautiful day it is outside :) I think I will actually enjoy being out in the garden doing poo patrol today!!! Have a good day everyone x
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P :)), DSE141 (D :j), DSE212 (P :)), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • Fab news on the weight loss MRSMCAWBER!

Oh very dear for the House of Pimms budget so far this month!

Went to Mr T's on Saturday to take advantage of the 3for2 on Dog Chow - so got 3 months worth of tins for the boys. Also treated myself to a quiche dish, and [STRIKE]needed[/STRIKE] did not need but bought without thinking a few other bits.

Dog kibble also delivered this week so spends to date are -
    Dawgs - £44.10/20
    Me - £33.14/40
    Total - £77.24/60

Hopefully will only need milk, lentils, eggs and cheese for the rest of the month. Hopefully! At least dog chow spends should be down for the next couple of months :)
  • I hope everyone is having a good day. I had to buy some oranges today. I am working the next 2 days so I am steering clear of supermarkets.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    123budget, your Spicy Lentil Soup and TheBees, your Vegetable Soup, now in the index ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi Everyone! Not sure where this weekends gone again!! doesn't help that i worked 12 hours in the pub yesterday!! My feet were killing me!:( anyway todays been lovely.....made 6 portions of carrot and coriander soup....defo need to have a look at making another one before i get sick of it, if anyone ones got a favourite let me know and i'll give it a go!! :D signature updated , had a mid week shop for meat and other essentials....cupboards and freezer looking more healthy now spent £22.38 in sainsbugs, my highlight being the persil washing liquid 85 washes for 8 quid it'll do little old me for a least 3 months! :T. Been to mr a's today for fresh stuff and so i dont need to pop in and be tempted during the week!! haha spent another £24.93 so getting abit too close to my total but i'm stocked up and meal plan is in place for the 1st week!! yayy:rotfl:2 Weeks to go i can do this!!!!

Here's a favorite of mine (made up by my DM):
    Leek and Lentil Soup

1 onion, chopped
    6 leeks, washed trimmed and chopped (half moons or disks)
    3 carrots chopped (half moons or disks)
    6 rashers smoked streaky bacon
    Couple handfuls of lentils (red or green)
    2 pts (I think from memory) of stock

Gently fry the onion, leeks and bacon in butter and oil until the vegetables are soft. Add the stock and lentils. Cook for 30-40min until the carrots are tender.

It's a broothy soup rather than a thick one, so the 2pt of stock is a guide, but enough to cover and allow all the bits to float freely! (if that makes sense). Often I don't bother using stock too, just water, particualrly if the streaky bacon is good.
    Total debt: [STRIKE]£9473.62[/STRIKE] £7,384.87 22% PAID
    TAF #25 NSD 8/12 | Food £43.45/£50 | eBay 0/20 | Exercise 5/18
    :T Proud to be Dealing with my Debt :T
    DFD: June 2015