Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

February 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 57

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.5K views

Replies

• Hi All :wave:

Helen, I am so sorry for your sad loss x

Bit late arriving on the Feb thread, but can I aim for £250.00 again this month please.

First spend yesterday in T**o Xpress, just opened opposite Dr's... popped in and loads of reduced goodies. So, £2.35 on cream cakes and brownies :EasterBun

Will update siggy - and start diet next week!
  • Ilona wrote: »
    No spend day today, don't need anything. Still eating reduced price out of date veg I got a week ago from Tes&co. Sprouts every day.
    Ilona

I bought a bag of 1Kg after Christmas because they were reduced. I had them every now and then but they started to go black and a bit wet-green kind of sprout. I used a knife to take out the bad leaves and the black roots. Underneath all that ugly stuff there were perfect and still amazing little sprouts, so that means we had sprouts in every Sunday dinner for January, all from the same batch :D A couple of months ago I would have thrown them, they were mainly brown-black in the outside and some leaves had turned a bit slimey iykwim. I was surprised to find perfect very light green and compact sprouts underneath that. No difference in the taste at all. :)

I lost a quote but thanks for the comment on my "it's like a diet" comparison :o
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • mrsmcawber i love the sound of your "trumpy soup" do you have a recipe for that?

:)
    Sealed pot challenge #310
    :beer:
  • Hello everyone,

I'm a bit late, but since it is my first grocery challenge I thought it would be good to try a short month hehe. Can you add Gigglepig for £250 for February please? Thanks!

This challenge looks pretty useful to me, although I have tried to be good I have already spent £33.10 and it is only the 4th today.
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    martafdz wrote: »
    I bought a bag of 1Kg after Christmas because they were reduced. I had them every now and then but they started to go black and a bit wet-green kind of sprout. I used a knife to take out the bad leaves and the black roots. Underneath all that ugly stuff there were perfect and still amazing little sprouts, so that means we had sprouts in every Sunday dinner for January, all from the same batch :D A couple of months ago I would have thrown them, they were mainly brown-black in the outside and some leaves had turned a bit slimey iykwim. I was surprised to find perfect very light green and compact sprouts underneath that. No difference in the taste at all. :)

dont think i would have had the patience to peel through to the good bit,well done , I bought a couple of bags of reduced sprouts after xmas. I blanched them and froze them in portion sizes and we are still eating them , i love sprouts :D

will pop into l!dl today as i need cucumbers and carrots for the guinea pigs
  • edited 5 February 2011 at 9:31AM
    XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 February 2011 at 9:31AM
    gdyr1945 wrote: »
    Another topic: does anyone use the 'cash back sites'? How do you feel about the companies that offer a large payment (£20-£40) for taking a free month (you must remember to cancel) trial. I haven't tried these yet as feel a bit guilty as I have no intention of continuing after the original period. On the other hand why not if they offer?

I use T0p Cash Back and have made about £200 in the last 10 months from cashback and I don't buy a lot on line as I am out of work at the moment so not much spare cash. I have taken the free trials from cred1t expert and L0ve film both have been hassle free and paid the cash back pretty quickly. £15 for one and about £18 for the other I think when I did them.

Spent £9.26 on a tub of formula and some dishwasher salt last night in Mr S. Very annoyed with myself too. Bought 2 bottles of wine for DH, one for last night and one for next week as they were 2 for a tenner. Didn't check my reciept as we were in a rush and they have gone through as £8.99 and £6.29:eek: I would have taken them back but the cheaper one has been drunk:mad: It really annoys me the way sm are so crafty in displaying offers and labelling items so that they appear to be on offer and are not. I know it is up to me to check but I am sure they do it on purpose to catch people out:mad:

ETA: DMIL gave us 2 packets of R1ngtons yummy biscuits yesterday. They best go in the August holiday box or I will have eaten them by monday:o
    PAYDBX 2020 £3338.68/£10,000 33.4% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 40%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 150 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • edited 5 February 2011 at 9:47AM
    PinwheelPinwheel Forumite
    63 posts
    edited 5 February 2011 at 9:47AM
    Hi I've just updated my signature, only a couple of small spends this week. £1.00 on milk in L**l, and £3.35 on eggs and a couple of other bits in Sai***urys. I have made a shopping list for what we need next week and will be going to L**l today. I've got the slow cooker on with lentil soup in it for lunch and we're having HM pizza for tea.

Have a good day everyone
    PW
    x
    Oct GC £36.72/£220.00
    Sep GC £223.58/£220.00
    Aug GC £200/£200
    Jun GC £192.73/££220 - Jul GC £296.88/£220
    Apr GC £230.40/£200 - May GC £230.40/£220 -
    Feb GC £200.19/£200 - Mar GC £203.37/£200 -
  • Morning all -
    Here you go Maryarm -this is my version of the 12 speed soup, mine is more of a stew as I leave everything in big chunks and you can adapt to use up odds n sods you have lurking
    12 speed/trumpy soup -and if you go on the SW thread its also called "dyno rod soup" :rotfl:
    1. 1 tin tomatoes
    2. 1 box passata
    3. 1 large tin green lentils -or a couple of hands of dried
    4. 1 large tin of cannelini beans
    5. 1 tin red kidney beans
    6. 1 jar/tin carrots
    7. 500g frozen peppers
    8. 2 onions -chopped
    9. 1 tin baked beans
    10. 4 parsnips -peeled n chopped
    11. 1 tin peas -garden are my fave
    12. 2 veg oxo
    13. seasoning
    I simply throw everything into a VERY big pan and cover with a lid and cook until tender -it sounds a bit *eeew* but Im addicted and now have hubby the same :p. ooh if you use fresh peppers instead of frozen you may need to add a tiny drop of water...
    You may want to half the quantities for your first batch as mine made about 4lt last time -but I know we can get through that as I would happily eat it for every lunch ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Morning all, £25.00 at the butchers yesterday for the Sunday roast and some cheap cuts, they will be in the slow cooker for mid week xx
    £112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 £22K /£10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!:shocked:
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here :D
  • Good morning. First venture to the supermarket this month, £42.91 spent in total. More than I would have liked to spend, but it did include some toiletries which were on special offer that I would normally buy in Boots out of a separate budget and some stationery items. So actual food spend was £32.82. This also included ingredients for an edible present which I'm off to make now, but I won't deduct that since it is food and I'm hoping they'll share. ;)