February 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 47

New Post Advanced Search

February 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.6K views

Replies

• Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    GUNG HEI FAT CHOY - hope I got that right.

Te$co today and spent £26.07 - couldnt find any good reductions today:(
    Have got two of the grand children over the weekend so we will have a 'sort' of Chinese meal then. Going to do some egg fried rice, lemon chicken, beef, onions and broccoli and some salad as they love salad. One will want the chicken and the other will want the beef - typical. :) Will have to get a few bits for this on Saturday morning. Have also been told they want to make some jam and lemon curd tarts. They also want sausage, mash and veg for Sunday - all of this is in thankfully, so thats the weekend taken care of. We try to give them things they can help with as they both enjoy it and their mum doesnt have a lot of time to let them help, nor has she got a lot of patience either but thats another story!!! :D

Fish for tea tonight for us and I had better go and start it. Will update totals in a while and will catch up on the posts then.
    Good luck everyone with Feb's challenge.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was out and about buying birthday presents, one of which was from Mr S so I decided to do my weekly shop a day early. Had to be Mr S this week cos I had £40 of vouchers. Spent £89 but this included 2 bottles of wine and 2 gifts not included in the GC. One was a rubic cube for DH birthday which was half price. He will be dead chuffed as he wore his last one out:eek:. I am hoping it will relieve a bit of stress for him too.

The shopping bit came to £65.83 but cost me £25.83 with my vouchers. :D I am going to count the whole amount in my total though as I am trying to learn to stick to a budget. Got a couple of treats for DH birthday, a month of snacks for DS (1/2 price), enough dog food for the month and stocked up on some other stuff. I have all but fresh stuff in to cover my meal plan for the next 2 weeks:D

I have a veg box and a fruit box coming tomorrow so I have included this in my total.

I must have done something stupid with the ingredients in the breadmaker earlier in the week as every loaf had come out perfect since. I am wondering if I forgot the yeast:o

When I was in Mr S they made an announcement that they were doing free cholesterol tests so I thought I would take them up on it and I am 3.2 which is good, I think:D

Mothership I had a good laugh at that cheeky moo stealing the bargains from your trolley.

We were supposed to be having quorn with ginger and coconut but DH said he wasnt feeling great this afternoon so I said I would just do JPs with cheese and now he is starving:mad: It will have to be an omlette, JP and HM curried beans.

Have a good night all, its blowing a gale here:(
    PAYDBX 2020 £6,339.44/£10,000 63.4%
    Target CC - £0/£1030 SIF by Nov 2020
    Target Loan - £0/£493.43 by Nov 2020
    Big Emergency Fund Part 1 - 52%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 189 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • ChocClareChocClare Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    cat_smith wrote: »
    ChocClare can I have the recipe for the Sweet and Sour Sauce? I spend a fortune on Uncle Ben's.
    Of course!

Easy Peasy Sweet & Sour Sauce

9 tblsps tomato ketchup; 3tblsps malt vinegar; 4tblsps muscovado sugar (or "brown" sugar if you haven't got that)

Mix together in a bowl and bung in the microwave to heat through and dissolve the sugar.

Meanwhile, fry off some eg chicken (or pork or veg, depending on your tastes) with some chopped onion and sliced peppers if liked. Pour sauce over top and simmer. If you have a tin of pineapple languishing, then some chopped pineapple and pineapple juice also gives it a nice flavour (and increases the amount of sauce if you're making for more than four). Of course you don't have to be a veggie to pad this out with more veg - french beans, julienne carrots, broccoli florets or even shredded cabbage all go well with this.

This is a very "fresh"-tasting sauce - not gloopy, like Uncle Ben's (other brand names are available). Most sweet and sour recipes call for cornflour, but this doesn't need it and I think it's why it tastes so much fresher. My very fussy family loved it - with chicken for us carnivores and a mix of veg for DD.
  • cookie9cookie9 Forumite
    762 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Have wriiten off Januarry as was terribly ill and OH was in charge of shopping. Now I am feeling better and ready to get through February with a taarget of £200.

Freezer has mince and sausages and have reasonable amounts of rice. pasta and couscous so fingers crossed can have a cheap month. Have spinach so could do a chick pea and spinach curry this weekend. C* *p had Chinese sauces half price so treated myself to a couple of those for when we have stir fry.
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • £11.96 spent today.

Got some frozen salmon fillets that are on offer (6 for £5), as well as tinned beans/chickpeas (3 for £1), a pineapple, spread and eggs.

I noticed some big bags of Doritos reduced to 50p, but didn't realise until I got home that I picked up the wrong bag and they're a flavour I really don't like!! It's only 50p, but still annoying :p

Need to get some toilet rolls, so will pop into Farmfoods tomorrow as i'm passing. Also going to go into Lidl on Saturday for the weekend offers as I am almost out of olive oil and the pork always seems to be really good from there. Oh dear...just spotted they have crisps on offer too. I must try and resist!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    XSpender wrote: »

When I was in Mr S they made an announcement that they were doing free cholesterol tests so I thought I would take them up on it and I am 3.2 which is good, I think:D

Good ? Amazing more like, I think thats the lowest I've ever heard of . Well done lass!

Took a leg of lamb out of the freezer for tomorrows dinner, its the OH birthday and all the family are coming round. Going to make Tart Tatin for desert tomorrow, found a wee lonely pack of frozen puff pastry in the freezer, no one will notice if I cheat.

I had to pop into the local fruit shop for some rosemary and red onions £1.16 for two small onions and 20g of rosemary. I wiz robbed!!!! .:eek:

I heard my OH telling my daughter he enjoyed his chicken and chorizo pasta, so I'm all chuffed. We just finished off the rest of it.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Just had 2 NSD's so far and no more GC spends yet - may be tomorrow or might wait until Sat

Thanks for the veggie recipies, I've got loads of lentils that need eating at some point and the loaf sounds lovely for a meat free meal!

Just one slice of marmalade cake left - will have to make some more then!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    786 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Could you put me down for £200 again this month please.
    £23356.04£44348.32/[COLOR="Red£1985.16[/COLOR]Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • Cmdr_BondCmdr_Bond Forumite
    592 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Can you put me down for £200 please - this will be my first month, so no idea how well I will do.

Cheers.
    Not as green as I am cabbage looking
  • Felt great going with my lists and doing 'big shop' today. Managed to spend £35 in Asda and then went to Lidl and managed another £45!!!!!!
    There is a lot of that that is for the month, should only need to add any 'whoopsied' fish that I can find and fresh fruit and veg.
    I treated myself to the Good Food mag that was mentioned in OS forum. Haven't bought a magazine for years!!! Can't wait til the kids are in bed and I can sit down for a good nosy at the recipes!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D