February 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 January 2011 at 10:44PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.7K replies 186.8K views

Replies

• edited 2 February 2011 at 6:43PM
    HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K posts
    edited 2 February 2011 at 6:43PM
    I don't think any of us on here start each new GC month with nothing in our cupboards or our freezers, so unless we're all cheating no, I don't think already having stock in both at the beginning of a month is cheating.
    RachelS wrote: »
    Hippeechiq, sorry that happened to you. By all means, email your rant to Asda, but I wouldn't expect anything back. I have complained to them twice and never received any kind of acknowledgement. It seems you get what you pay for! I still shop there as it's cheapest, but I hate it!
    I was incensed about the whole microwave incident, and after having stayed in 3 days without them turning up or phoning me to explain why they hadn't, I rang them for the umpteenth time and told them if it wasn't collected the following day, I would approaching Watchd0g & the local press about their appalling, sub-standard service. Like I told them. I ordered a Microwave from them because mine had broken - not because I was bored and looking for something to do! As a result, I was sent 2 x£15 vouchers to use in store. It should have been more, as it left me totally stressed out, and the best part was, they wouldn't refund me until they had collected it! So it was almost a month from date of order to refund before I could buy one from somewhere else!

Also, just remembered, when I first started grocery shopping online with them a couple of years back, my second order had use by dates of the day it was delivered, I'd had substitutions, when I'd clearly stated I didn't want any, and several items were missing. I rang them up and let them have both barrels, and they refunded the cost of the complete order - some 90 odd quid!! (in the pre GC days ;) ) So it's worth a shot. Actually, as a nation, I don't think we complain enough about shoddy customer service.
    Im trying to have a few more days of no meat meals, can anyone suggest anything they have tried and loved ?
    xx

Hi Equilibrium
    I tried this on Monday, VEGGIE SHEPHERDS PIE WITH SWEET POTATO MASH
    and it was very nice, although, as much as I love Sweet Potato, I think next time I make it, I'll use normal white ones.
    I also added 1Tsp Smoked Paprika, 1 Tsp Mild Chilli Powder, ½ Tsp Lazy Garlic, and a tiny extra splash of Red Wine before putting it in the dish and adding the mash

Also these are all on my monthly menu planner too:
    SPICY MUSHROOM & BEAN CHILLI
    VEGETARIAN BEAN CURRY
    and this CHEESE & LENTIL LOAF is divine

Hope some of them appeal to you :)

More spends today. Decided to go for the 1100 Typhoo Tea Bag for £9.99 offer at £idls.....luckily it had a carry handle, cos it wouldn't fit in my backpack! Also a pack of 2 Gammon Steaks. And from Te$co, 3 tins of Chickpeas & 3 tins of Mixed Beans, both on offer at 3 for £1.

Total spend of £13.53 total spend for the 1st two days of Feb £57.90 :o .......strewth!....and I haven't even bought the $limfast yet!

Sorry for the mammoth post by the way :o
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • nattytnattyt Forumite
    431 posts
    I failed miserably in January....i don't really know what happened but February is another month so i won't dwell on it. This month i really intend on keeping a spending diary for everything and making sure i know exactly how much i spend on groceries. My cousin is staying in a couple of weeks but i already have made double the lasagne and frozen it ready for one night. I am making a monthly menu plan. My kids are with their dad this weekend and I'm being fed all weekend so this is good!! I want February to be a tight month to try and put some money aside. xxx
    If music be the food of love then play on
    "No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow". ღ ~Maya Angelou
    Doing it for my kids. For a better secure life. x
  • salskisalski Forumite
    292 posts
    Hello all -
    Got a pork chop casserole in the oven and I am not planning on doing ANY freezer shopping for as long as humanly possible as I couldnt fit anything more in it, even if I tried!
    I got some sprats at Mr M's 1lb for £1.34 so split them in half and froze them, Im not looking for a decent recipe for them, other than frying them in flour lol.
    The only spending I will need to do this month is fresh things, fruit, veg cheese yogs etc but worried about spending lots in bulk then going into hospital as I'll be in for 2 days at least lol
    Keep up the good work ;)
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS £750 now £0! Natwest CC - WAS £1600 now £100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    £2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME :heart:
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    XSpender, I've added the 'Chicken or Quorn with Ginger and Coconut Milk' recipe to the index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hi, I have been reading for a while now and admire all the ideas you come up with, my lot are not good at no meat meals and I seem to be trying to do a full blown home cooked fancy meal from scratch, even the DH has asked for fishfinger! so here I am in a bid for ideas that are quick easy and cheap with enough variety

First month hoping for £350 I know it's a lot but I think I'd better be realistic rather than go mad!
    £112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 £22K /£10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!:shocked:
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here :D
  • salskisalski Forumite
    292 posts
    funnyflipp wrote: »
    Hi, I have been reading for a while now and admire all the ideas you come up with, my lot are not good at no meat meals and I seem to be trying to do a full blown home cooked fancy meal from scratch, even the DH has asked for fishfinger! so here I am in a bid for ideas that are quick easy and cheap with enough variety

First month hoping for £350 I know it's a lot but I think I'd better be realistic rather than go mad!

Welcome hun and good luck :)
    Mince, frozen meat (from supermarket) bangers, butchers for old style meat are all cheaper options x
    Loan finished Sep 2010 - HSBC CC - WAS £750 now £0! Natwest CC - WAS £1600 now £100 - Overdraughts to be worked on! WILL be debt free by mid 2011!!!
    £2000 Saved so far for maternity leave - Our baby girl arrived valentines day! Elsie Ann - WELCOME :heart:
    Sealed pot challenge number 4 - number 1167 - Last day smoking: 8/1/2011
  • IlonaIlona Forumite
    2.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No spend day today. I'm going out tonight to a Ladies Car Care Clinic, organised by a local tyre company. It's a PR excercise to get more customers, but as I already have my tyres from them I might as well go along for the free buffet. Might learn how to do an oil change as well :rotfl:
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    First shop of the month, and it's come to $29.43.
    Grocery Challenge
    September £300/£197.30
    August £300/ £317.15
    July £350/ £332.76
  • Another NSD for me :j

Niece came round after school today just as i was about to make a batch of fairy cakes, she asked could she make them, as her mum doesnt bake, she had a great time as I showed her how to making chocolate fairy cakes with chocolate topping :T She loves coming to mine to have a go, last week we made bread in the BM she thought that was great.

Bear in mind she isnt a toddler but 16, but I love it too :smileyhea: spending time with her as I miss DD as she is way at uni
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Hi all
    this month I am giving the big monthly shop a bash. I have menu planned and shopped around the local s/m for all the best offers and have utilised countless vouchers.
    I have packed cupboards, fridge and stores so should be Ok for the month ahead. I am hoping that this method works for me as I am busy with work for the next couple of months so any time and of course money saved is a bonus. I made excellent use of the M&S vouchers and also staff discount and a shareholder voucher i had had over £200 pounds of foods for £68.(BARGAIN).
    I HAVE £42 of budget left and is too buy milk, bread and fruit as I need it at Aldi.
    I must admit I have never eaten better more fruit and veg and less crisp and junk.and kids have not moaned once. Plan is to eat majority of freezer stuff this month and hopefully give it a good defrost and clean ready for next month. Id really like a chest freezer but dont really have anywhere for it to go. My freezer will hold a months worth of goods but I cant freeze bread or milk which would deffo reduce my shopping to once/twice a month. Maybe if I come in budget this month and next I will purchase one and sweet talk my husband to let me have it down his shed lol.
    does anyone have any tips for purchasing a good chest freezer at a reasonable price.
    Thanks all.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer: