January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 295.3K views

Replies

• MummyEmMummyEm Forumite
    574 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    A*** have refunded me the items that weren't delivered and also delivery charge so that's £5.32 back in the pot. Added to the 33p I have left that leaves me with £5.65 for any emergency spends so quite pleased with that. Also have £3.50 from price guarantee. Not sure how this works exactly as they've always been cheaper in the past. They said it would be sent to my online account so guess it's a voucher to use on future online spend, we will see.

Regarding L*** bread flour. I used it for the first time this week and will be switching. I was much more expensive organic flour but this gave a much lighter loaf which rose much more too.

NSD today. Plan another NSD tomorrow. Home with the children so plan a walk / trip to park if not too wet. Will be cooking shepherds pies for dinner and freezer, maybe also banana cake as running out of snacky bits and have bananas in the freezer. If we get really bored, we'll be cleaning and ironing to avoid going near shops!!

Need to start thinking about budget for next month. Want to further stock the freezer. Would love to do more storecupboard bits but don't have any free space. Thinking I may change to very large shop may split over Mr T / L*** / £Land at beginning of month, then small top ups of fruit and veg for the rest. This might mean one very difficult day at the beginning of the month but then much easier, child friendly shops later on. It would require a monthly meal plan which in the past hasn't worked as well as a weekly for us. Perhaps if I make it monthly but keep it fairly flexible ... more to think about!! It think it would mean I use more from freezer rather than thinking 'I'll try that next week' with new meat cuts or whoopsies.
  • OK I NEED TO JOIN totally new to this but after reading everyone's posts decided to add up what I spent in supermarkets in November (didn't do last months cause it was Xmas) and was shocked to see I spent £562.18 :eek:

So I'm going food shopping tomorrow so please put me down for feb - £200 wish me luck!!! I'm going to need it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• Happy birthday Gracie :bdaycake:

Mothership, I've added the Lamb stew and Pearl Barley Broth to the index :beer:
    Hippeechiq, I've added your Bacon Roast Chicken recipe too :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • NSD today. Going to do an inventory of my freezers, and maybe my pantry tonight once the children are in bed. Then I'll do a Feb meal plan from that, then I'll post a budget for Feb. Seems fairly sensible so far...

Ok all, are you ready for what I discovered today? I always knew this, but I never really knew this. If you don't go to a sm, you don't spend any money there!!! Sounds stupid, but there you go! I was, before this month, forever 'popping in' to a sm to have a mooch around (sad, but I enjoy it!), but ended up spending up to £50, instead of just getting the one or two things i should've got. I'm so stupid!

Have tried really hard this month, and have resisted nearly all of the time, which for me is some kind of miracle, so that is my success for this month.

Still have my £6.60 left, looking forward to spending as little of that as possible at the weekend! Don't really know what we're having for dinner tom, so I'll get something out of the freezer when I do the inventory tonight. Really like the look of that bacon roast chicken thing - will def put that on the list for next month!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • nsd today because of bad leg, will just make some plain cheese/onion/parsley spicy borek tonight....have little left in the way of dinners till the 31st but still have £3 odd left till then...will make it/just about
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 Posts
    buried a gorgeous boy today - so big spend today on clothes and things at the wake drinks etc - but not part of grocery challenge - so still got £8.66 i think it is till 31st Jan so please about that!! will probably consider the stocking up idea!!! toilet rolls seem to get eaten in my house and theres only two of us!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    513 Posts
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    minnie2 i kept track for 3 months last year keeping notes on how much we used and then x4 for the whole year, its not for everyone but im just really into being organised, love my home planner i made it helps with these things, but i only buy these items when on a good offer i will probably spend my yearly stock up budget by the end of the month maybe next but by then i will have all the items i need for the year and then my monthly grocery spend will have very few if any non food items. doing it this way will keep my monthly budget at the same level every month otherwise one month i may need washing powder (50 wash) and softener (85 wash) which will give me a tight budget for that month, but then the next month i wont need it and will have extra money for the food, this way i even out the costs over the entire year by taking £15 of my grocery spend every month (it was £150 now £135) and just having a separate £180 budget for this (it also helps because these items are not always at such good prices so it will save me in the long run, i had savings of £54.22 so it only cost me £88.42 inc 2 delivery charges for 4 50 wash persil powders, 10 bottles bleach, 10 shower gels, 10 boxes crunchy nut, 6 toothpastes, 2 85 wash comfort softeners, 4 fairy liquids and some other bits)

we seem to go through toilet rolls like anything! thats a big spend but not sure how many id need!!! hubby uses them like they are going out of fashion - but mostly not for their usual purpose!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    513 Posts
    need to actually work out what i did spend today - but not today - hoping its not as bad as i thought - tesco was 25% off clothes and got given a £10 for giving a friend a lift.
  • minnie2 we usually use about 9 a month so x12 but i always get an extra pack just in case, dh the same so told him i would start buying tesco value if he didnt stop i buy 18 for £3.99 @ home [email protected] i was going to get 18 for £3.59 but the £3.99 was so much softer & i figured i could spend an extra 20p per month instead of using sandpaper
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • PennyGrabber - Well done on resisting the evil SM's - could you teach my DH about it please hehe

Gracie - Happy Birthday - hope you are having a lovely day

Minnie2 - sorry to hear about the funeral

Off to try a plain white loaf in the BM using L!dl flour and a Carrs recipe [doing the kids sarnies with it tomorrow] but not telling them its BM Bread - type of kiddies that will object to it without even trying it!!

Have a good evening everyone

Helen x

PS Mothership - I've got my 2nd purse with £10 in it, just need a tiny notepad now, also going to use it to buy the "bought on offer" stocks we already have as well as future ones
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK