January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 295.3K views

Replies

• I haven't checked in here much this month as I have been really busy BUT I have to declare this month at over my budget by £2.30. I was very ambitious to try to feed all of us for such a small amount and I hadn't figured in the bread and milk DH buys every week from the post office. We have lived on the contents of freezer and cupboards until there was virtually nothing left.

For February I aim to try to manage on £100 I have already spent £26
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Mothership wrote: »
    Before you even begin, go for a wee, if you don't need, wait till you do. Then start. Make sure your family are not going to be under your feet. DONT answer the phone.
    I did none of the above and disaster struck.

I don't think this is one for the recipe collection eh? ROTFLMAO! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I forgot to tell you I had to throw my slippers out, one was soaking wet and the other all sticky, they were on their last legs anyway.

I just LOVE your posts! Keep it up! You can ask me for tea and toast any day-we would def need a wee wee(excuse the wee pun):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • edited 25 January 2011 at 10:51PM
    angelatgracelandangelatgraceland Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    edited 25 January 2011 at 10:51PM
    martafdz wrote: »
    I used to throw a few every now and them because they were wet, black inside, funny soft and brown or with too many "white legs" lol. Now I take them out of the plastic bag (it keeps the moisture and eventually wets the potatoes) and put them in newspapers then chuck them in the veggie draw inside the fridge. It is a trick that people here told me and it has made a huge difference.

Mothership your post was just hylarious! OMG! :rotfl:

I went to MrM and HB without a calculator :mad: So I ended spending far too much and in things not needed and for a total of £38.76 . I will update my sig in a sec and include also tomorrow's delivery of A&C for £16.78 (small fruit & veg box, bananas and eggs).

Total for January (SO FAR, still a few days to go): £218.67 / £250

Target for February: £210

I am going to try to reduce £10 more a week, see if I can manage.:T
    I never bother with a calculator-I add it up as I go around, rounding it up or down to the nearest 50p. Don't forget that your mobile phone usually has a built in calc too. You can also use the memo facility on it to make notes of spends or shopping lists or you can text yourself(if included on contract)with prices, spends etc. :DYes-I am sad0-I have sent myself a few messages! They don't get lost so easily either. Also a good way of noting where you parked in large carparks such as bay E1 or level 5 facing the church or whatever. Before this I used to "lose" my car in carparks!!!:eek:

Motherships posts-

Purse/Bank
    Things you’ll need to get started…

Now pasted into Word and saved on my desktop for REAL study!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • According to my receipts I have spent €139.50, but am almost certain that there is another €20 gone somewhere else, as I am sure that the last time I spent money I mentally added it all up to €160/70...will see what I can remember or find, am really annoyed at getting so confused at this stage of the year!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • 2joanne2joanne Forumite
    134 Posts
    Budget of £4680 for the year (£390 per month).........

Happy to declare that I've just had Mr T delivery and when added to the total, we're currently under budget by £12.25!:T

Yipee!

Total Spend £377.75/£390

Would like to change my budget to monthly from annually and reduce my my budget to £300 for Feb!

Many thanks!
    LBM 8/6/12
    Tesco:gone Wardrobe credit: gone
    Barclays £3669.71; Car £8820; 1st D £15000; Total:£9135.21/£36692 25%
    DFD Nov 2015
  • edited 25 January 2011 at 11:27PM
    martafdzmartafdz Forumite
    1K Posts
    edited 25 January 2011 at 11:27PM
    I never bother with a calculator-I add it up as I go around, rounding it up or down to the nearest 50p. Don't forget that your mobile phone usually has a built in calc too. You can also use the memo facility on it to make notes of spends or shopping lists or you can text yourself(if included on contract)with prices, spends etc. :DYes-I am sad0-I have sent myself a few messages! They don't get lost so easily either. Also a good way of noting where you parked in large carparks such as bay E1 or level 5 facing the church or whatever. Before this I used to "lose" my car in carparks!!!:eek:

Motherships posts-

Purse/Bank
    Things you’ll need to get started…

Now pasted into Word and saved on my desktop for REAL study!

Oh, yeah, sorry, I use the calculator from my mobile but it had ran out of battery!! I just typed "calculator" instead of "calculator from my mobile" out of lazyness :o I use the notepad to make notes of presents, offers or wish lists! Lol It is useful for pressies though, when my OH says "i like that" at whatever thing he's looking at, I just make a note immediately so I do not forget for the next b-day/aniversary/xmas... :D I have a program called "Handy Expense" on it, I have created several categories of expenses (groceries, transport, entertainment, toiletries, lunch...) so I now just open it select the category and add the expenses as I go. The program gives me a report instantly on how much I have spent in what, or a total of everything. It is really good. My phone is just a Nokia, btw, not an iPhone, this program can be downloaded for several phones. It's easy, simple but brilliant! :D

EDIT: on receipts, I have a big 2011 diary (big one, like almost A4 size) and I now staple or celo-tape all the receipts from the day. That way I keep the receipts easily accesible.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • TheBeesTheBees Forumite
    601 Posts
    We're still working on January (already £10 over) but would like to be put down for

February £380 please

Planning a chicken casserole cooked in the slow cooker tomorrow while I'm out at work all day. We have a parents evening tomorrow night for DD14 so something needs to be ready to eat before we go out. Might need to get up 15 minutes early to get the veg peeled and sliced!

Has anyone managed to buy fresh coley fillets lately. I want to make Jamie Oliver's coley curry.
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • edited 25 January 2011 at 11:37PM
    Missus_AkaMissus_Aka Forumite
    285 Posts
    edited 25 January 2011 at 11:37PM
    minnie2 i kept track for 3 months last year keeping notes on how much we used and then x4 for the whole year, its not for everyone but im just really into being organised, love my home planner i made it helps with these things, but i only buy these items when on a good offer i will probably spend my yearly stock up budget by the end of the month maybe next but by then i will have all the items i need for the year and then my monthly grocery spend will have very few if any non food items. doing it this way will keep my monthly budget at the same level every month otherwise one month i may need washing powder (50 wash) and softener (85 wash) which will give me a tight budget for that month, but then the next month i wont need it and will have extra money for the food, this way i even out the costs over the entire year by taking £15 of my grocery spend every month (it was £150 now £135) and just having a separate £180 budget for this (it also helps because these items are not always at such good prices so it will save me in the long run, i had savings of £54.22 so it only cost me £88.42 inc 2 delivery charges for 4 50 wash persil powders, 10 bottles bleach, 10 shower gels, 10 boxes crunchy nut, 6 toothpastes, 2 85 wash comfort softeners, 4 fairy liquids and some other bits)
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • Mothership you are amazing. You have such brilliant ideas and are so organised have you considered running the world? I know you would get trillions of votes! I'm sure we would all be better off. Made my OH come in and ready the marmalade story as it made me laugh so much. What would we do without you?

I love these boards; I always go away feeling happier and more able to 'do things'. Boy do I wish I'd found this site years ago.

I think, as well as the 'thank you' 'quote' etc bits at the bottom of each post we should have a 'sending you lots of hugs and kisses' to all those fantastic board organisers and for when the rest of us feeling a bit low.
  • Hi all, just checking in. NSD today, haven't actually counted them this month, as when I try to count them, I either get confused or don't have many! Will maybe count them next month.

Still have £6.60 left til the 31st, which I'm hanging on to for dear life!! Will end up buying minimal amounts of fruit at the weekend, unless school has some bananas left over. I love the fact that infants have free fruit! Can't be thrown away on a Friday, think of the environment... ;)

Went to my quiz today, and actually knew some of the answers! I'm quite an intelligent person, but don't really know much (!?!) so that was quite nice. We got fed as part of the evening, so I had seconds too, nice!

Will have sage and onion wedges for dinner tom with lashings of mayonnaise, yummy! Prob won't shop tom, famous last words!

Night all
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum