edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.3K views

Replies

• edited 23 January 2011 at 12:28AM
    martafdzmartafdz Forumite
    1K posts
    edited 23 January 2011 at 12:28AM
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies......i was thinking because i stock up a lot some months & not others (next month i wont stock up) that i will give myself a yearly stocking up budget of £180 that i can decide to use whenever i want to stock up but reduce my grocery challenge per month from £150 to £135 so i still have the same target overall for the year....what does everyone think please?

Its just because i have bought 6 months comfort softener, 3 months of bleach, 3 boxes of washing powder, 1 month of tuna, 4 cans of mr muscle oven cleaner, 6 months of shower gel, 6 months of shampoo/hair conditioner, 6 months tea bags dont worry all very very good prices....cant believe 85 wash comfort softener is only £3.10!!!!!! I just would like to even it out better, It will mainly be non food items

You could put yourself a yearly budget, instead of a monthly one. That way it does not matter how much you stock one month.

I think that for convenience and clarity (for yourself) it is better to just add the shopping to that month's budget, whether it is for other months or not. However, unless it is really cheap and a really good bargain, I found that I used to stock up too much just for the sake of it or because I thought I should always have 3 items in the reserve, and never looked around for the best deal. Now I am not stocking up because I end up paying much more, it is easier to just spend weekly a set amount and get what it is really needed. If I see an amazing bargain, then I buy enough for a couple of months but that's it. Specially because if we have the cupboard full of stuff we end up overating just because we have loads of things in there. I have been doing much better with less food and I am cooking more from scratch, so everything helped. :)

Let us know how you do!

EDIT: I misread your post, I see you have stocked up on household items, which cannot be consumed impulsively lol!! You could set up yourself maybe quaterly or half a year targets. The idea of separate budgets is good but requires counting and checking tickets... I would not have the patience for that!! Lol
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • edited 23 January 2011 at 2:44AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January 2011 at 2:44AM
    Mothership, your Salmon Brocolli and Potato Pie is in the index :beer:
    Jolaaled wrote: »
    Made the cheese and onion braid recipe today and it was lovely. ... THANK YOU

Glad you enjoyed it, think I'll put one on my menu plan next month ;)
    zcrat41 wrote: »
    ... Hopefully the online shop won't take as long next time - I'm more tired than if I actually go to the supermarket!

Soon after I've checked out one order I start the next one -always with milk bread and eggs :D - its really useful to be able to add things as I think of them; I check it out when I know what date I want but that ongoing list is a great time saver ;)
    Missus_Aka wrote: »
    ... i will give myself a yearly stocking up budget of £180 that i can decide to use whenever i want to stock up but reduce my grocery challenge per month from £150 to £135 so i still have the same target overall for the year....what does everyone think please? ...

I think that's a really good idea and you won't get stressed when you do see a really good offer and want to buy in bulk :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • edited 23 January 2011 at 1:53AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 January 2011 at 1:53AM
    also, has anyone got a carrot cake recipe i could have? its my DH birthday on Monday and would like to make him one.
    ... thankyou

we've a couple of carrot cake recipes in the Complete Cooking Index;

there are several recipes in the Killer recipe for carrot cake wanted thread ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • welshkazwelshkaz Forumite
    288 posts
    Still hanging on in here another £69 for me to go on my list xxx
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mothership wrote: »
    Thats EXACTLY what we are doing LOL. You know its just a great pity we are all spread so far and wide, I bet we would all get on like a house on fire. All like minded folk trying to feed our families and survive this recession.
    I for one am sick to the teeth of having to buy from the big ones, and seeing all the little businesses go under. Six butchers/wet fish shops within a 2 mile radius of have closed down. The lure of cheap supermarket meat drew all of us in, and its just tasteless mush. I still have to go to the supermarket for most stuff, but I'm an utter tart I go to them all, buy the deals and leave.
    I love the whole ethos of this site. The idea of the consumer fighting back really fires me up. If I need inspiration half an hour reading all your posts keeps me focused.

I totally agree with all you write Mothership. We are the same here, we have one local butcher left , one baker ( Gr€ggs) and a couple of F&V shops. Loads of SM's though. Cheap meat just isnt worth the effort, the stuff the SM sell is just awful, esp the "3 for a tenner" type deals. I must confess though, I buy my meat from Co$tco as I find it very good quality. It's not the cheapest, but it cooks well and tastes good. I stock up about every 4mths.
    I also "tart" around th SM's. I'm lucky in that I have time to do it but it saves a lot! Forinstance, last week I did my list on my$UPERMARKET and it came to £25, by the time I'd shopped around I got everything for £19 - £6 which is better in my pocket I think!

Anyway = my Jan finished on the 19th - total £178.84, which was £21.16 under. This included a BIG stock up so I am very happy with that. I'm setting my budget at £180 for February, should be doable as I've got loads in.

Thanks to everyone for all the motivation :A

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • PurpleJayPurpleJay Forumite
    487 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Morning all

Just a little update, spent just under £20 in Lidl this week (got loads for the money - just went in for choc croissants as my lil man loves them and potatoes but stocked up on juices, colslaw and other bits and bobs too) and then about £5 on bread and mags on Friday and £3 at Tesco express yesterday. Exact figures used to update sig. Still on target for Jan!
    'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it's about learning to dance in the rain'
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Onions (Fried in a little butter)
    Mashed potatoes (quite firm, not too much milk)

Breadcrumbs
    Cheese (grated)

Yorkshire pudding tray (4 section one) rings or ramekins.

Spread the onions on the bottom of the trays /rings.

Press some cheese/breadcrumb mix to the sides of the tray.

Pile on the mash.

Mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese and press well into the mash.

Bake at 200 for about 10-15 min or until nicely browned.

The onions go quite crispy, and so does the top. I started off making these with leftover mash, the kids went nuts for them and I ended up making them at least once a week. They had them with everything, sausages /burgers/fish fingers. They look pretty plated up too.

The topping is also good on any potato topped pie or even macaroni cheese/ and Lasagne. I grease my dish and line it with the cheese/breadcrumb mix, pour in the macaroni cheese , then top with more cheese/breadcrumb mix, and a few sliced tomatoes. The cheese /breadcrumbs go all crispy all round the macaroni, my kids used to 'fight ' for the crispy bits.
    They also liked a layer of mashed potatoes on top of the macaroni/cheese topped with the cheese/breadcrumb mix, they called this macaroni dinner pie. Sometimes I put fried onions at the bottom of this. They loved this with salad, dressed with olive oil /balsamic vinegar.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 posts
    ✭✭✭
    Minced beef/chicken/ lamb/turkey (browned then place on sieve and let the fat drain off into a bowl)
    Onions
    Any veg you have , peppers, carrots, brocoli, mushrooms, peas
    A tin of Campbells condensed mushroom or tomato soup. Or chicken if using chicken/turkey mince). + 1 tin milk /water. (not nice with any other brand)
    Cooked pasta or macaroni
    Season to taste

Breadcrumbs
    Cheese
    Mix together to line dish and for topping.

Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and fry onions/ peppers
    Add mince and remaining veg, mix in soup pasta.
    Pour into lined dish and bake in the oven at 200 until nicely browned on top.

I've also made this with tuna with the mushroom soup.

My kids used to go mad for this, they are all fully grown and still ask me to make it, I've not done for a long time.
    My daughters boyfriend is a chef and is horrified at the thought of soup with pasta, she's urging me to make it one night he's coming for dinner. She said of all the food she had as a child this was her favourite, its a great way of getting veg into kids.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Morning-just! When I was doing my shopping I resisted the temptation to buy ready made biscuits,cakes and yorkie puds and have spent the morning making flapjack,chocolate cake ,coconut cake and have a ginger bread in the oven,made the batter for my yorkies for tonight and that's in the fridge! Am feeling quite good with myself as 1.have saved some dosh 2.the kids are eating good things not food industry chemicals 3.my house smells amazing! Think this is the way to go on a Sunday morning :):):)
    Have a good day!
    "Sealed Pot challenge" member No 1099 2011/£26.00:j
    Crazy clothes challenge 2012-Budget £28.90/£100:eek:
    January 2012 Grocery challenge £378.27/£240 :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad:
    14/16 NSD in January:mad::mad:
    2012 Weight loss challenge -5lbs :j
  • JolaaledJolaaled Forumite
    1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Mothership wrote: »
    Onions (Fried in a little butter)
    Mashed potatoes (quite firm, not too much milk)

Breadcrumbs
    Cheese (grated)

Yorkshire pudding tray (4 section one) rings or ramekins.

Spread the onions on the bottom of the trays /rings.

Press some cheese/breadcrumb mix to the sides of the tray.

Pile on the mash.

Mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese and press well into the mash.

Bake at 200 for about 10-15 min or until nicely browned.

The onions go quite crispy, and so does the top. I started off making these with leftover mash, the kids went nuts for them and I ended up making them at least once a week. They had them with everything, sausages /burgers/fish fingers. They look pretty plated up too.

The topping is also good on any potato topped pie or even macaroni cheese/ and Lasagne. I grease my dish and line it with the cheese/breadcrumb mix, pour in the macaroni cheese , then top with more cheese/breadcrumb mix, and a few sliced tomatoes. The cheese /breadcrumbs go all crispy all round the macaroni, my kids used to 'fight ' for the crispy bits.
    They also liked a layer of mashed potatoes on top of the macaroni/cheese topped with the cheese/breadcrumb mix, they called this macaroni dinner pie. Sometimes I put fried onions at the bottom of this. They loved this with salad, dressed with olive oil /balsamic vinegar.

Thanks mothership.
    Last week, I tried to line my basin with breadcrumbs when making potato pie...but the breadcrumbs simply fell off!!! Do you have any tips for making them more 'sticky'??...(I'm assuming that I need to use 'soft' breadcrumbs, rather than the toasted/golden ones??).

THANKS