January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 294.6K views

Replies

• PennyGrabberPennyGrabber Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

NSD for me today as planned (woop woop!). Quite impressed, as before when I've planned a NSD I go and wreck it! I did go to tesco, however, but didn't buy any bits from downstairs. I went straight upstairs to the clothes, got what I went for and nothing else, paid and then left. It felt really weird. Reason for going in the first place was that I needed some of those hold-you-in-and-smooth-you-out pants. Going to a RAF mess function in 2 weeks, and girls have to wear cocktail dresses or ball gowns. [The last time I wore a dress was in 2001 when I got married!!] Anyway, the reason I'm telling you all this is because the dress cost £150 - OH paid for it, but it struck me as he was typing his PIN, that that is my budget for a whole month's food, blown on 1 dress!! A very nice dress (and I don't like dresses!), but still, just a dress!

MADNESS!!!!

PG x

PS thanks peeps for the links to the other forums I asked for - off to investigate now!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Hi everyone, did my weekly shop today. Went to three different shops to get the best deals! Got 1kg of brittish mince for £2.50 in al*i. Spent £47 but got a big shop including nappies etc.

P.S Do we have to use code words for supermarkets and what are they??
    June Grocery Challenge - £???/£230
    Credit card debt - Start - £10,613 Now - £10613
    Personal loan - Start - £10,116 Now - £10116

DFD - October 2015
    :T

• Gracious me. Misread this as £561 !!:beer:

Yes I had read it as that too!

Forgot to say earlier that I used up half of my sweet potato last night that I bought a fortnight ago & it was fine. I cooked it the way that Hippeechiq suggested with red & yellow pepper & red onion, roasted in olive oil with sausages on top & it was lovely so thanks Hippeechiq! Will probably use the rest up tomorrow as we are having roast turkey - one of the £8 Morrisons turkey crowns they were selling before xmas. So no waste of that afterall!
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Lola76Lola76 Forumite
    15 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello Everyone!

i would like to thank everyone for their posts they are great support and keep me on track.

2 nd week is nearly over. updated my signature
    I have budgeted for 40 pounds a week and stuck to it so far, even managed a bunch of flowers this week :j. not easy but possible... around 4 pounds over at the moment but after auditing my receipt after today's shopping at Mr M i fund 3 items i have been overcharged for - 2 reduced things charged at full price and jonagold apples charged as Royal Gala :(. this comes to 4+ pounds!
    will get these refunded.
    Weekly menu planned ahead helps me to make my shopping list and STICK :eek: to it.

Good luck everyone for the rest of the month
    January grocery challenge 300/278.57 declared
    February grocery challenge 300/7.75
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emily87 wrote: »
    ... P.S Do we have to use code words for supermarkets and what are they??

the reason some of us don't use supermarkets proper names is that it would improve their search rating! :D

you can call them what you like - I frequently call them things that I couldn't repeat on this thread :rotfl:but usually I call them MrT and sainsbugs, other people have their own specials, just use what you prefer ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • LOL Should read £56 will edit now
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    the reason some of us don't use supermarkets proper names is that it would improve their search rating! :D
    ;)

I never knew that. Learn something new every day here...
  • CatslovelycatsCatslovelycats Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    LOL Should read £56 will edit now

No don't. It'll give other readers a laugh too:rotfl:! Once they've picked themselves off the floor from the shock :D!
  • Hi just updated sig.
    Did a big shop today totally unprepared :o hadn't done a meal plan or list as I said I would,but visited a great market where i bought alot of meat and fish that should last me a month then picked up. F+V ,tinned stuff and flour etc at Mr T's so pleased with what I spent and hopefully will only have to pick up milk and bread now. I will defo do a meal plan and list for next month. I have always loved baking but let it slip but tonight I've made some bread (well the machine did) and plan to have a big bake and cook day tomorrow so I have meals ready for in the week and can do extra portions to send with OH and DS for their lunches.

TCCIC
    Cathy
  • SparklyfairySparklyfairy Forumite
    758 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I never knew that. Learn something new every day here...

I always wondered that as well - thanks for clearing that one up for me!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals