Digital TV Cost Cutting Article - Discuss What You've Been Offered

edited 27 January 2011 at 2:07PM in TV MoneySaving
4.2K replies 1M views

Replies

• I can also confirm I rang today for my Dad and he just got a free HD+Box Free Installation and Free HD channels, he is an existing customer

However you have to go through to the thinking of leaving team as they are the only ones that can offer this, the customer services team are not at all interested

The lovely lady who I spoke to did say that there department are the only ones that can offer this deal!!

Worth a try to anyone who wants it
    I love a Bargain :beer:
  • flyerflyer Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    74jax wrote: »
    Been offered it for £12.50 for a 12 month contract with first 3 months at £7.50.

Can I ask how you got this? I can't even find a phone number for them!
    Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.
  • tamalyn wrote: »
    i rang and threatened to cancel, been with sky for over 10 years, never got any deals before. got a free hd+ box and free install and 6 months free hd subs so dont give up try again. lady i spoke to was lovely and i wasnt forceful at all

Hi, did u call on a Tuesday or Wednesday as advised by the Sky Insider?

Also does anyone know, do u have to ask to be put through to the Cancellations Department? Or are those the people you talk to automatically when you press the option on the automated system to leave Sky?

Thanks!
  • robd831robd831 Forumite
    302 Posts
    Tek Guy,

If you just tell the first person you want to cancel and then you get put through to the cancellations / retentions team who are able to offer you a deal (sometimes) If they take your cancellation it takes 28 days to process, you could always ring up and cancel the cancellation before the 28 days are up .....
  • robd831 wrote: »
    Tek Guy,

If you just tell the first person you want to cancel and then you get put through to the cancellations / retentions team who are able to offer you a deal (sometimes) If they take your cancellation it takes 28 days to process, you could always ring up and cancel the cancellation before the 28 days are up .....

Hi, when I called, and informed the guy that I wanted to cancel, he just kept trying to get me to take a HD+ box, or to drop some packages, but no discount :-(. He did the typical thing of wanting me to take a bundle with phone/broadband, which I don't want. After about 10 mins or so of back and forth haggling, he finally accepted, told me to hold on, then came back saying he had put the cancellation through :-(. Not too fussed about that as I was truly getting fed up of them, and as u say I can always cancel the cancellation, but definitely not the desired outcome at all.

On a side note, I do remember hearing a period beep throughout the call (the first time I have ever heard such calling any Customer service line of any company) so I think the call was actually being recorded... maybe why I didn't get put through to cancellations team? They trying to stop the discounts? :(
  • SystemSystem Forumite, Community Admin
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Best I could get is a free hd+ box & free install.

Person I spoke to said other deals had ended.

Pushed as far as I could but as we don't have any premium channels there wasn't much else I could argue in our favour. Went and checked twice with 'supervisor' but couldn't improve the offer.

At least we got free install :)
  • robd831robd831 Forumite
    302 Posts
    Tek Guy,

When I have rung up to "cancel" I have always been put through from the out of UK operators to a Scottish call centre who are much more willing to help and discuss. Cancel the cancellation and try again in a few days.....
  • Can anyone please tell me what is the best way to get a deal as a new to Sky and Sky Sports subscriber?
  • edited 15 January 2011 at 9:43AM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January 2011 at 9:43AM
    Can anyone please tell me what is the best way to get a deal as a new to Sky and Sky Sports subscriber?
    £85 cashback from Quidco and £25 M&S vouchers from Sky if you go to Sky's online ordering page via Quidco.

http://www.quidco.com/sky-digital/?ac
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion