Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread - Page 184

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
3.3K replies 291.9K views

Replies

• As some may remember I left my job a couple of months ago on poor terms (can't say any more!), I've had two years of being told that I'm rubbish and it's knocked my confidence hugely. I never thought that I would ever leave a job without having another to go to yet I have done at a time where there is really no prospect of any work in my profession so that gives an idea of how bad it was!

Anyway, one of our local voluntary organisations has been looking for help and I rang and spoke to them last week, I've been putting off calling for weeks. I was welcomed with opened arms and I've been given a chance to help in a number of different areas. I can't tell you how beneficial it's been to me, after two years of being told I'm rubbish, I feel valued and appreciated.

Sooo...the point of the post is those that don't have work, do really think about volunteering, I know it's difficult to make the first move when you're feeling down in the dumps and unappreciated but there are so many voluntary organisations who would be only too pleased to have your help.

Chin up all and stay strong x
    Piglet
  • charlies-auntcharlies-aunt Forumite
    1.6K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Great news PLP! Restores your faith in people when you're appreciated! :)
    :heartpuls The best things in life aren't things :heartpuls

2017 Grocery challenge £110.00 per week/ £5720 a year

• I'm so happy for you Piglet! :j That's wonderful news as both sides will benefit! It'll remind you of all your strengths and that the problem was purely with the job you left, not you. I was just saying on the Frugal Challenge thread how I want to volunteer in some way as soon as health permits.

Nitha, great news about your OH's job. :T

It is heartbreaking thinking of what's going on in other parts of the world. Really glad you're ok Softstuff.
    Trying to spend less time on MSE so I can get more done ... it's not going great so far! :)
    Sorry if I don't reply to posts - I'm having MAJOR trouble keeping up these days!

Frugal Living Challenge 2011

Sealed Pot #671 :A DFW Nerd #1185
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Re the greengrocery type of food - the vegetables part anyway. Do you have in dried beans and the like you can sprout (which would give you something "green" to eat in a matter of days) and/or vegetable seeds you could grow into microgreens (a bit longer - a couple of weeks-few weeks). I know things like cabbage seeds, for instance, can be grown into microgreens and dried peas can be grown into peashoots (as I've done both things). Not sure about other veggie seeds - but I imagine any vegetable seeds that grow into green, leafy type vegetables (as opposed to root vegetables) would be capable of being grown on into microgreens (rather than leaving them to grow on into full-size standard vegetables). ???

Is that a possibility for you to get a bit of "greenery" into your diet?

No need to worry about me and food guys :)

I've been sneakily growing spinach on my deck (we're not allowed plants on that), and it stayed safe despite the weather - in fact, the deck being about a foot above ground as the rest of our flat is, is probably why we haven't flooded yet.

I have plenty of veggies one way or another, we still have power so I have the ubiquitous frozen peas, carrots for man and beast, and rather an impressive bean and lentil stock!! It's just the way I live normally, the only addition due to current events is a few more tins of the usual - beans, toms etc.

I can see my diet changing as the prices go up, but will figure that out as it happens. Heck, I'd gotten my groceries down to such a low level that my food shopping just wasn't challenging me any more :p

A hidden gem to all this is that having seen the empty loo roll shelves yesterday, hubby will no longer question it when he finds an extra pack stashed somewhere odd.... like under the bed, or in the wardrobe... or behind the sofa (do I have a problem??).

As for permaculture, I don't have a garden here, and I'm not even able to grow much otherwise. My secret spinach occupies the only spot on my deck that gets a bit of sun (they build the flats to be a bit dark and thus cooler). My Grandma in law is a bit of an expert on that though, she's quite a celebrated person for it here.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • SoftstuffSoftstuff Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceridwen wrote: »
    SOFTSTUFF

Further thought:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QizyeEA3mL8

is one thing that came up when I input "bush tucker" into YouTube to see what it came up with.

<goes wandering off to ponder why several people have said they think my ideal job would be a research assistant....:cool:>

I've been looking at all the foraging stuff, thanks Ceridwen and RAS. A lot of the stuff to forage in Australia (well, in my part of it) is pretty low-cal, low interest. I wish I knew more about mushrooms, but that isn't something I dare try out with book-knowledge, if you know what I mean. There are a few things to grab out there, but it's nothing compared to the joys of England hedgerows! I think I'd have to be a fair bit more desperate yet to try some of it too!

Sprouting I haven't tried, since I don't have a nice sunny windowsill, which I thought was a prerequisite, but I might give it a go now.

Guerilla gardening is probably not a great idea exactly where I am. Most of the things I'd plant to eat are non-natives, and they're big in this area about only having native plants in the council maintained areas. A lot of other plants are considered pests, damaging to the Australian flora and fauna. I've tried some of the more Australian things, like bush tomatos and so forth. Let's just say it's a novel meal for a tourist, but a very acquired taste!
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Red Doe and soft stuff glad to see you are both hanging on in there. I find the people on here a great source of support.

Did the weekly shop tonight and when I added it to my new book I am planning out finances in I realised I have worked Jan out as a 4 week month but it is a 5 week month so I actually over spent last week but managed to come in under budget this week. I am aiming to save enough over the first 4 weeks to pay for the groceries in the last week.

Found some 9p woopsie bread in Morrisons tonight for the first time :j, 3 large farmhouse loaves, one chive and onion loaf and a bag of 18 large bread rolls. The whole lot for 45p. The funny thing is that a colleague at work today has given me her mums unwanted Kenwood bread maker today but I figured I could not make bread for 9p a loaf. Still I can't wait to use it, she would not take any money for :A it so I have bought her some flowers as a thank you.

Taught DD1 how to bread fish and make herby wedges. The 3 girls have all had a cooking lesson this week and after I did the meal plan for next week they all chose a night for another lesson each. OH cooks the sunday roast so I am only cooking solo 3 nights a week at the moment.

Bought some King Edward seed potatoes tonight and both red and white onion sets. I'm really looking forward to getting the seeds started in the next couple of weeks. I've still got leeks in the veg plot and hopefully the broccoli will start to sprout in the next few weeks. I'm really looking forward to getting the new veges under way.
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    RAS wrote: »
    Softstuff - glad you are OK

There are reports of suburbs that are not flooded but surrounded by flood waters that have no power and are running out of food and nappies. That is going to need sorting urgently, I suspect. http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/brisbane-suburbs-start-to-count-the-cost-after-flood/story-e6freon6-1225986893883

Do folk remember the Trucker's strike in the UK? About day 5, the supermarket chiefs went to see Blair and co, who were going to stand firm. Almost immediately afterwards, Blair caved in.

That's when the Government learned that supermarkets do not keep stockpiles of goods, most operate on very short inventories.

"Just in time" meant that when the chiefs went to Downing Street, in some cities, there was less than one day's re-supply. Had the truckers continued, we would have seen a lot of supermarkets with no goods, and no good in the depots and limited goods further up the supply chain.

Even if the stores near Brisbane are on re-supply networks that are open, a lot is going to depend on where the central depots were located and whether the hauliers can get fuel to shift the goods. If those were inundated, the inventory is gone. And, as I understand it, those farms up the Lockyer valley etc, were the main suppliers of fresh food?

Just read ceridwen's post - cross posting.

I know we cant see the future but sometimes we have warning signs.
    I remember the original fuel strikes and how we rationed milk and bread.

The news said the next budget plans to put extra 5p a lire ontop of price of petrol which obviously pushes up vat as its 20percent of wahtever the price is per litre plus cost of oil barrels gone up .

Im wondering how much more will uk put up with on taxing the motorist or are we heading for another strike.

April will be worst time as its when some cuts bite and some things increase.

Im wondering between now and april what things I should stock up on if it was to happen as its true most large food retailers do operate just in time policy as sitting on extra stocks costs them money in storage and waste.

Im thinking household stuff maybe, toiliet roll, tinned gooids even dried packet mixes had good old batchelors dried macaroni cheese tonight which hubby says is grim but just like supernoodles theres aplace in my heart for them:rotfl:

I guess it might not happen but think 2011 going to be extreme year and we part of gloabl community show what happens in other countries effects us and the commodities trading not good so heartless really.

watched last part of hughs fishfight-its on 4od nuala if you want to catch up. Inspired to try some new fish next time im in morrisons.
    Right off to watch question time see if anything topical of any use.

We like to think I guess that all governents have contingencies and plan yet seen so many situations over last years handled badly as unprepared no matter which partys in power.

Think its time to reinstill community and help out where we can.
    As the council are not going to make your pavements safe and passable.They dont get things moving when countries at gridlock.
    They dont make the banks lend to businesses that need it.

If only my street was like this board.
    everyones got so many ideas and keen to help.
    cheers me up just reading everyones posts as reminds me whats important and how everyone has something to contribute.

Do hope everyones had good day despite poor weather , got soaked as usual.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)
  • zarazarazarazara Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    2.3K posts
    today i ahave eaten hm bread with hm lentil pate and home bottled blackcurrents for pudding. the satisfaction is immense hg leeks were in the pate , ev en more satisfying/
    i washed clothes with laundry gloop
    the OS life style is just great .
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sprout mung beans - so easy! Have some on the go ready for a stir fry at the weekend!

Softstuff - glad you have the spinach - it is very nourishing and easy to grow. Do you have any info on towns like Kingaroy? My friend says (this morning) they are still cut off and feel that they have been forgotten. I have never been there but believe it is in a mountainous area and that landslides have made the situation worse. The roads have gone! They really need a food drop by air but the helicopters are (quite rightly) busy on rescue missions! Just don't know what can be done! :(

So sad that Brazil and Sri Lanka are also suffering!

I spent this afternoon reading too much depressing stuff online but feel full of fighting spirit after watching Hughs fish fight and have signed up and written to our MP. It is so much better to feel in control and pro active!

Zarazara - I am very impressed! Will have to have a go at the famous laundry gloop!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • edited 14 January 2011 at 12:48AM
    grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January 2011 at 12:48AM
    I have found a how to and charts for sprouting so I hope it will be helpful to some. here.
    Did you know you can sprout wheat? Wheat as in whole grains will keep forever if kept in an airtight container and in the dark and coolish. I buy bags of it in the asian supermarket because I like it for breakfast sometimes and have a lovely recipe somewhere on the computer for a cinnamon almond and sultana concoction (can't remember its name offhand)

On the subject of bread machines. one way to look at it is not just can I make a loaf for less than 9p but I can make a luxury/fancy loaf for a fraction of the shop price.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support