Forum Home» Money Saving Polls

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down? - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search

MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Anne put the animals down?

edited 8 April 2010 at 9:22PM in Money Saving Polls
235 replies 31.8K views
1181920212224»

Replies

• jkc_2jkc_2 Forumite
    44 posts
    harryhound wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't live in fairy land - the self employment and local authority bureaucracy would cost money (and probably building changes) (*). If this was a potentially profitable enterprise; someone would finance it. It isn't, there is no money tree so it won't happen.

(*) The pony has run off and battered my child against a damaged barn door. My child is now in a wheel chair for the rest of its life - who pays?
    (**) Teachers probably spend more time doing the "risk assessment" than they do on the "farm" these days - As a result I think you will find lots of kids have no idea about the countryside and school trips to such "dangerous" environments just don't happen in the numbers they used to.
    and this attitude is what is wrong with this country today folks.
    :A
  • edited 18 April 2010 at 5:41AM
    seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 18 April 2010 at 5:41AM
    I actually can't believe that so many people think their animals are as important as their children.

As to whether she should have them put down, I think that if she has done all she can to get a new job or find them a new home and that if there is a straight choice between her not eating and the animals not eating, then yes, she should have them put down. They have had a better and longer life than if she had not taken them in and they will not know any different.

I do agree she should explore all other options first.

(And yes, I have had pets, I have had cats for over thirty years apart from the last five years. My last little cat had to be put down she had dementia and I cried like a baby. But I still stick to what I have said above.).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Eager_ElephantEager_Elephant Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Read this story recently and thought of this thread, looks like she will have to make some kind of decision very soon:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1340047/How-Sara-Ross-sacrificed-charmed-life-animals-loves.html
  • Her freedom, her choice.............provided she is not claiming benefits.
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she can't afford to look after them properly, is not able to re-home them and has no-one to help her then as far as I can see her only options are to abandon them or have them put down. Putting them down is kinder. It should be an absolutely last resort though.

Whatever people may think, animals are NOT the same as your children. I cried for a day when my cat had to be put down. I'm sure I would cry for more than a day if my son died.

Let's be realistic here.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton