Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread - Page 152

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

It may be tough for 6 years. The survival thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in The Money Savers Arms
3.3K replies 292.1K views

Replies

• have had our car up for sale for months now only one test drive , i think its the insurance costs thats the problem as i now have the same problem in april too the insurance will be triple as the insurance group is way high / hubbys choice of car . but its got to go and never even considered part exchanging it but that may be a better option.:j
  • Been to town and transfered money into current account. Feel much happier now I know there is enough in there for the bills etc this month.

OH at Doc's this morning. The examination had made his back much worse. GP was lovely though. OH now on tramadol, brufen paracetamol and gabapentin for his pain. Not bad for a man who won't usually take tablets. Unfortunatly he can not get out of the chair on his own now. Really not sure if he can physically make it into work on Mon. Will wait and see.

v8monkey boy. Hope the new job goes well and good luck with the signing.

Chococlaire and ceridwen thanks for the suggestions. I am going for a chocolate/danish bread and butter pudding type affair (without the bread)

Nulabula. OH is verymuch on board although he finds some of my OS/MSE ways a little odd. On of the things he has done is learn how to make breadcrumbs the Jamie O way so that we don't wast any stale bread.
    We are definatly much more organised (although making the odd mistake as we learn). Actually go through bank statements now. Yes I know I should have done that anyway but at leat we are doing it now.

kidkat hope you are feeling better. Next time ask your friend to pitch in.

Gailey do you ever slow down?

Tea tonight is a salad baked spud and frozen chicken satay skewers and tempura prawns a friend brought around on NYE that did not get used.

Does anyone know if veg suet looks any different from animal fat suet? DD2 making veg casserole with dumplings at school and I only have animal suet. No vegetarians will be eating it and I figure if she takes it out of the box the teacher will be non the wiser. It will save me having to buy any if I can get away with it.:question:
    I am playing all of the right notes just not necessarily in the right order :D.
  • gailey_2gailey_2 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    you wont get the best price part exchange . look at something called glasses guide for make/model and reg and will give you garage guideprice.
    Normally you got better negociating power with garage if you pay cash no part exc but think it would cost us a lot to get ours ready for sale dent in door thanks to dshonest neighbour who drove off other week, faulty window, needs new tyre and faulty warning light.

I think check your local freeads see if some of smaller garages advertise in there like ours.

I know im trying to be positive but failing.
    hubbys worked so many hours this week just feel a bit alone.
    struggling with balancing house and kids this week.
    4year olds just given me guilt trip that I not spent enough time with her shes been very clingy and attention seeking since bing back at school yet took them out for couple of hours to park and shops just feel not enough of me to go around.
    she wants to watch tv and cuddle up on sofa in a minute.
    shes gets bit jealous of her baby sister at times.

I think its fact im so tired as not sleeping and still run down poorly thats making things worse. family in wales so cant support.

Its trying to get balance between kids and housework as hubby expects both done and doesnt always appreciate how hard 2kids are as he rarly as both by himself.

Hopefully hubby being home tommorow will help but im sure he be glued to his emails and phone as hes under so much pressure right now so doesnt want to hear me moaning.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000::beer:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000:j

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON:D,Onwards and upward2013:)

• Does anyone know if veg suet looks any different from animal fat suet? DD2 making veg casserole with dumplings at school and I only have animal suet. No vegetarians will be eating it and I figure if she takes it out of the box the teacher will be non the wiser. It will save me having to buy any if I can get away with it.:question:

Veg suet looks no diffrent to beef suet :D
  • frugalbrunettefrugalbrunette Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    120 posts
    Hello everyone. It looks like I have stumbled upon the very place I need to be. I don't know what to say really other than to let out all of what is circling my head at the minute.

I guess I'm scared of all the costs spirralling. Just living costs. We have no debt at all but with me being a stay at home Mum, my husband is the breadwinner and I'm so worried that money will not stretch now.

I am frugal. I always have been but not to the point of living frugally as a lifestyle choice an not dare I say it, because it was fashionable or fit in with the stereotype of being a housewife.

I've embraced homecooking, making things for my home even but I feel I have so much more to learn if we're going to get through this tough time. I know I can do it it's just reading and learning so much stuff when really I need to know it now!

We have been shopping today, basket full of fresh fruit, veg, meat, bread, milk cheese ham, yoghurts, eggs, toilet rolls, beans, pasta and spaghetti, washing powder, nappies, deoderant, no biscuits or crisps, alchohol or juices. Just what I would call basics. £75 it cost. I was mortified. We were supposed to be cutting back this week. I just don't know how we can sustain living normally, healthily even.

I worry that I'm going to be be mocked by writing how much we spent so hope I'm not. I'm here to learn and will be searching the forum for ways of improving my budgeting skills and frugal skills.

I just wanted to use this thread to help myself rid some of the worry. It hasn't really worked. Just made me worse to be honest but I've been told that on this forum there is so much to learn and take in. I have also been told I may become quite addicted. I hope so as I'm eager to learn. Knowledge is power and that is what I want. To take control of what happens not because some people in a suit decide on something that effects my household.

I bought some basil seeds yesterday. I'm off to plant them as a symbol that it begins now. Me, providing and taking control.

Sorry to have bored you all. Saturday nights aren't what they used to be huh? lol
    weight loss so far: 6lbs
    clothes neutral in £2011: fund.. £13.23
    virtual sealed pot member # 99: £5.03
  • rosieben wrote: »
    Please post the recipe FTM and then I can link into the Grocery challenge thread recipe list :D or you could just post it on the Grocery challenge thread

OK here it is..get ready to forget the diets ladies:D

Half a pound of all butter puff pastry,i used a packet
    1 and a half ounces of granulated sugar
    1 tbsp of icing sugar
    400 ml double cream
    strawberry jam
    Warm up the oven gas mark 7
    Dampen a baking tray
    Dust work surface with half of the granulated sugar
    Roll out the pastry on the sugared surface to a rectangle of 10"x12".
    Sprinkle evenly with the rest of the sugar and then roll it in gently with the rolling pin.
    Start at the short sides and roll the pastry towards the middle from both edges,to the centre until they meet,press together gently.
    Should look like rolls.
    Cut across the rolls into 16 slices.
    Put on your baking tray and flatten slightly.
    Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until crisp and golden,turn them over halfway through baking so they cook evenly on both sides.
    Let them cool on wire rack.
    Whip the double cream with the icing sugar until it forms soft peaks.
    Sandwich together pairs of palmiers with jam and cream...
    ENJOY....no responsibility is taken by me if you eat them all..:rotfl:
    Great treat..nice with fresh fruit and cream too...
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • kidcatkidcat Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Selling cars - have you considered ebay - set a reserve at price you expect part ex, then list all faults and damage and try selling it. I managed to sell a car that had been nothing but bother and had constantly been breaking down, had ended up parking it up for six months before selling as had originally been trying to P/X it, but found out how little they would give (garages usually off load p/x at auction so will only get pittance for it) and decided to sell it myself. I was totally honest and was amazed it sold for a lot more than p/x price. Expected guy to come back and complain but never had any bother at all. If you have cash to pay garage you will get a much better deal off them and it does bring the price down so much. My dad looked at p/x his last car as my mum didnt want the old one sitting on drive for 18 months (he did that the last two cars) and when he looked at price for p/x and price for cash, he actually would have ended up paying more!!
    If you want a guide price for car value you can look at autotrader online and they have a section to input your car details and they give you its value.
    Also last resort is to check how much your car would raise from a we buy cars type place - again if you look at p/x price v cash it may work out more effective. :)

Mrs veg plot - if the teacher is as poor as my DD cookery teacher she probably wouldnt notice if you sent cereal instead!!:) but both suets look identical - I made the mistake of trying to make veg dumplings and non veg dumplings for a dinner party and ended up not serving them as I got the two bowls mixed up and couldnt tell the difference.

• FruballFruball Forumite
    5.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. It looks like I have stumbled upon the very place I need to be. I don't know what to say really other than to let out all of what is circling my head at the minute.

I guess I'm scared of all the costs spirralling. Just living costs. We have no debt at all but with me being a stay at home Mum, my husband is the breadwinner and I'm so worried that money will not stretch now.

I am frugal. I always have been but not to the point of living frugally as a lifestyle choice an not dare I say it, because it was fashionable or fit in with the stereotype of being a housewife.

I've embraced homecooking, making things for my home even but I feel I have so much more to learn if we're going to get through this tough time. I know I can do it it's just reading and learning so much stuff when really I need to know it now!

We have been shopping today, basket full of fresh fruit, veg, meat, bread, milk cheese ham, yoghurts, eggs, toilet rolls, beans, pasta and spaghetti, washing powder, nappies, deoderant, no biscuits or crisps, alchohol or juices. Just what I would call basics. £75 it cost. I was mortified. We were supposed to be cutting back this week. I just don't know how we can sustain living normally, healthily even.

I worry that I'm going to be be mocked by writing how much we spent so hope I'm not. I'm here to learn and will be searching the forum for ways of improving my budgeting skills and frugal skills.

I just wanted to use this thread to help myself rid some of the worry. It hasn't really worked. Just made me worse to be honest but I've been told that on this forum there is so much to learn and take in. I have also been told I may become quite addicted. I hope so as I'm eager to learn. Knowledge is power and that is what I want. To take control of what happens not because some people in a suit decide on something that effects my household.

I bought some basil seeds yesterday. I'm off to plant them as a symbol that it begins now. Me, providing and taking control.

Sorry to have bored you all. Saturday nights aren't what they used to be huh? lol

:hello: Welcome to our friendly thread :)

Goodness!!! Nobody will mock you here I can promise you that :)

We are a friendly bunch on here and I have learned loads since I joined. I used to spend a lot more than £75 a week for 3 of us :eek: A LOT more! So don't worry - you will soon get tips and ideas here and start seeing a drop in your grocery shopping bill :)

Look forward to getting to know you :)
  • ceridwenceridwen
    11.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi frugalbrunette - and welcome.

Can I suggest you start by spending some clicking through the links on this starter post from another thread on MSE:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=39791194&postcount=1

and, for a start, you don't want to be making your own detergent. Laundry Gloop is way cheaper than that - check out the link starting with "Laundry Gloop..." for the recipe for it.
  • Hello everyone. It looks like I have stumbled upon the very place I need to be. I don't know what to say really other than to let out all of what is circling my head at the minute.

Hi there..no-one will mock you on here hun...welcome to the best thread you will ever find..ladies on here are marvellous and friendly too..lots of help and advise is here..i think between us all we have just about everything covered..:D..
    Well i made my own laudry liquid tonight..it smells amazing and i have got 7litres of it now..that should last ages..all it cost was a bar of soap,soda crystals and some essential oil..plus some time...i can't wait to use it TBH...
    Have you tried going down a brand at the supermarkets,and making bread..depends if you have fussy eaters:)..how many littlies do you have..sorry being nosey..
    The girls on here can point you in the right direction for everything...
    Your not the only one who worries about the cost of things..deep down all of us do...:)
    Well have to dash got laundry gloop to put in containers:)..
    take care
    love ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support