Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 84

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.1K views

Replies

• edited 6 January 2011 at 4:18PM
    XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 January 2011 at 4:18PM
    4 eggs, beaten
    2 heaped tsps instant coffee
    8oz soft margerine
    8oz SR flour
    8oz caster sugar
    2 tsps baking powder

For the filling & topping:

2oz margerine
    6oz icing sugar
    1tbsp coffee essence or 1 heaped tsp instant coffee disolved in 1 tblsp hot water
    1 tbsp milk

Pre heat oven to 180/350/Gas 4. Grease and base line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.

Place the eggs in a bowl and stir in the coffee until dissolved. Add the remaining ingredients and beat well until thoroughly blended.

Divide between the 2 tins and level out.

Bake for about 25 mins until well risen and the top of the cake is springy. Leave to cool for a minute or 2 then turn onto a rack to cool completely.

To make the butter cream, blend together marg, icing sugar and coffee/water or essence until smooth. Add the milk if necessary.

Sandwich the 2 cakes together with half the buttercream and spread the rest on the top. Decorate with walnut halves, chocolate curls, choc drops or whatever you have to hand.

I tend to make double this amount of buttercream to sandwich and cover the top of the cake and pipe rossettes on.
    PAYDBX 2020 £3338.68/£10,000 33.4% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 40%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 150 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • PerniciousPernicious Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Hiya,

I've only just seen this thread & would like to join in please?

Due to a bit of an overspend at the sales (for much needed items I should add) we weren't left with much in the joint account for food, so for the first time ever I made a meal plan for the rest of the month & so far so good - luckily we had a lot in the freezer already so I'm left with about £30 for fresh bits for the rest of the month for the two of us, I'm hoping my calculations are correct & it can be done!

Good luck everyone!
    :idea:Debt at July 2012: £12,862.57 :eek:
    :dance:Current Debt: £0 :j
    100% paid off!
    :think: Savings Goal for November 2016: £5000 :cool:
    :D Current Savings: £1176.24 _party_
    23.52% Saved!
  • XSpender - thanks for the recipe - much easier than the 1 I had!!

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • lou1981lou1981 Forumite
    100 posts
    Hello Ladies, OMG this thread is fast moving!!! I have had another NSD today so I am doing well normally I have spent loads popping to the corner shop for stuff we dont really need!!!I am well on my way to being at least on budget this month.
    I have stretched some mince out and we had lasagne last night and beef cobbler tonight and what is lovely is its all cooked and ready to go, Apart from the cobbles. I have also made a butternut squash soup for luches today, just waiting for it to cool and then I will blend.
    Thanks for the motivation and inspiration ladies.
    louise x
    Jan Grocery Challenge £48.21/£200
    NSD Jan5/10
    Clothing Challenge £6/£200
  • scotsaverscotsaver Forumite
    824 posts
    Tracey2609 wrote: »
    I've been reading through the threads, and found alot of comments about people splitting their shopping between different stores... Certainly in my area I have to drive to any of the main supermarkets and occasionally send my son to the local shop for the odd pint of milk. In the main I try to be "good" and only go food shopping once a week and on a full stomach! - I really overspend if I shop when I'm hungry! But my question is, is it worth splitting the shopping like this? Does the amount of money saved outweigh the extra cost in fuel? Thanks!

Tracey2609 - I'm lucky as I have a Morrisons, Tesco and Lidl's within walking distance and at a stretch an Asda within walking distance although I usually take the Car if I'm going there as it's in a Town Centre with other shops.
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    :wave: HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone

:)

Hippeechiq - so good to see you back - Happy New Year to you too.;)
    JayJay14 wrote: »
    I usually use this -

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/main-ingredient/lemon/lemon-curd.html

Cos it uses whole eggs it means you wouldn't have loads of whites to use up. I have my lemons in the freezer, all juiced and zested in little pots of four ready to use (go loads last year of Asda unwaxed ones at silly prices)

JayJay14 - this is the Recipe that I always use and in fact made a batch yesterday - love Delia Smith recipes as they are so easy to follow.

Mothership - made the Xmas pud scones today, had to Product test one :o and they are delicious - thanks for Recipe.;)

Dinner tonight is HM Cottage Pie, peas, sweetcorn and cabbage. No need for pudding as we will be eating the Xmas Pud scones.:D

Have a good evening everyone.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• ok another 14.97 today but I was so different in Mr S. I kept looking at things and then thinking no as that will add another £2 on your target, so this is definately working. I also got a few of next weeks bits as quite a few good haf price offers so got meat for pack lunch and crisps which I would have had to buy on sunday. Put the £1 that it said I had saved from a multi buy in my sealed pot.
    MAY NSD's

• jammy_dodgerjammy_dodger Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    updated sig

spent 12.68 today

bought some fresh haddock from the harbour for tea Mmmmm looks fine

i went to mr T but didnt get some of the items off my list the prices on fruit juice were shocking:eek: exploiting the healthy option shoppers at this time of year me thinks ...

i was buying the large tropicana before xmas 2 for £4 now its advertised on "offer" 2 for £6 refuse to pay it:mad:
    also had no value natural yoghurt to make my naan breads with again refused to buy there more expensive option so left without

bought gokat and stuck to my list :D
    has anyone tried lidl dry cat food well i mean have they given it to there cat not tried it themselves :rotfl:

though someone might of ha ha

i saw it was much cheaper than gokat just moved my cat on to dried stuff so much cheaper than sachets now have dog on dried and it suits him fine

always looking for a better alternative

rant over

keep up with the good work , its such an incenative to save rather than shoving items willy nilly into the trolley like i used to :)

jd xx
    MayNSD13//18
  • minnie2minnie2 Forumite
    513 posts
    well another NSD today!! thats 6days so far!!

not sure if i should dare ask this question or not but is it better to do one big shop and see how long it last or specifiically buy as you go?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    XSpender, I've added your Coffee cake recipe to the index :T

I think I'll be trying that one myself with walnuts on top <<insert drooling smiley here>> :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ooh! walnuts! good idea :D
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79