MSE News: Minister answers concerns on lone parent benefits

edited 27 December 2010 at 3:51AM in Benefits & Tax Credits
251 replies 14.1K views

Replies

• Indie_KidIndie_Kid Forumite
    23.1K Posts
    Its still too high at age 5, most mums get 12 months maternity so its unfair even at age 5.

A couple has the option of one staying at home to bring up the child/ren. There would be no option for a single parent if it dropped to 12 months. Is it really fair on the 12 month old for their parent to be at work all day and the child to be stuck in child care?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • sh1305 wrote: »
    A couple has the option of one staying at home to bring up the child/ren. There would be no option for a single parent if it dropped to 12 months. Is it really fair on the 12 month old for their parent to be at work all day and the child to be stuck in child care?

Not all couples have the option of having a SAHM parent, many dont want to accept state top ups and prefer to self support meaning both parents work. Many mums work so as not to lose their career or identity.

Yes a nursery should be used if its the only way a parent can work to support the child they choose to have - the 12 month old will not be in danger, will be well cared for and have others to play with - you make it sound like nursery is a punishment. Opting out of providing financially for your family should not be allowed where the person is physically capable of working.
    23.1K Posts
    Not all couples have the option of having a SAHM parent, many dont want to accept state top ups and prefer to self support meaning both parents work. Many mums work so as not to lose their career or identity.

That's their choice.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sh1305 wrote: »
    That's their choice.

If you want to be independent and pay your way there may be no choice for those on low incomes and/or high housing costs. Not everybody believes that being subsidised by the benefit system should be lifestyle choice.
    That's their choice.

Not always a choice, if they are over the threashold for help but have to pay for everything themselves then it means millions of couples have to have both adults working.

Yes some choose to work whilst not essentially financially but you make it sound like a bad thing - sad state of society when a parent working and not taking from the state is seen as wrong.
    That's their choice.

Yeah not to sponge off the state.
    Mum/carer to Dallas who has Aicardi Syndrome,everyday i look at you makes my life fulfilled.
    23.1K Posts
    wattdallas wrote: »
    Yeah not to sponge off the state.

Child care costs some people quite a bit each week; so they're financially worse off than one staying at home. Is that right?
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Child care costs some people quite a bit each week; so they're financially worse off than one staying at home. Is that right?

You're forgetting the extra TCs you get towards childcare costs.
    23.1K Posts
    You're forgetting the extra TCs you get towards childcare costs.

Which is being cut to a maximum of 70% soon.
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
  • nottslass_2nottslass_2 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭

Yes a nursery should be used if its the only way a parent can work to support the child they choose to have - the 12 month old will not be in danger, will be well cared for and have others to play with - you make it sound like nursery is a punishment. Opting out of providing financially for your family should not be allowed where the person is physically capable of working.

Personally I'd rather cut of my right arm than place a young Baby in a day nursery.

I returned to work when my DS was 8m and if I wasn't fortunate enough to have a fantastic childminder I simply wouldn't have gone back to work as there is no way I would be able to be an effective employee if I didn't know that my Baby was being cared for in the way I feel comfortable with.

In many areas there isn't much of a choice in regard to childcare options (or indeed any childcare) so this will be a stumbling block for many parents wanting to return to work and needs to be addressed urgently.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES