Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2011 Grocery Challenge - Page 26

New Post Advanced Search

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.5K views

Replies

• Hi all, I would like to join in again, well basically I NEED to cut down my food bill as my money has been cut by £30 a week! :eek:
    I want to cry as I have no idea how I am going to manage. *cries* I want to cut it down to £30 a week, but thats a £20 drop on what I usually like to spend.
  • edited 1 January 2011 at 1:25PM
    redkids1972redkids1972 Forumite
    417 posts
    edited 1 January 2011 at 1:25PM
    cont me in Im setting a budget of £60 per week for 2 adults, 3 kids(14,11,10) and 3 cats. This month will be £240 We have a lot of meals provided by inlaws so think this amount is achievable. Money saved will not be wasted on other things but saved for a holiday.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100 :beer:
  • pixiedust09pixiedust09 Forumite
    270 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hi Can I join in too please? I really need to get the grocery bill down. In the past we probably spent between £220 - £250 a month and theres only two of us.:eek: I haven't included the pet food in that either, :eek::eek: we have two dogs and a cat. Can I aim for £200 for January and hopefully get that down during the year. Starting from scratch here so any advice would be much appreciated.

Happy New year to all. :beer:
    MFW 142- Oct 1999 £55,0000, Jul 2013 £27,593.17 Oct 2013 £26,531, Dec 2014 £22,600, Dec 2015 £20,190, Jan 2016 £19,944.19 Mar 2017 £16,944.76 Decluttered 207/2018
    Smile it confuses people :)
  • OH has gone to Mr S to get some stuff for lunch 2m as there are now 7 people coming for lunch! He's also buying some late Christmas pressies for some of the visitors!

He's using his own money to get it all, so I'm not counting it in the GC. Bit naughty I know, but he normally spends his own money on cigs so I'm enjoying this new-found generosity! :p
    Mortgage£148,725 Student loan£13,050 HSBC loan£12,221
    AprGC:£/£320
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    Ive also got a 4 pint rice pud in the oven which Im crossing my fingers on as I had to use half shortgrain rice and half long grain rice(both brown rice)

How do you make your rice pudding, angelatgraceland?

I use the pudding rice, which costs more than shortgrain, so will be interested to hear how it turns out.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    Hi all, I would like to join in again, well basically I NEED to cut down my food bill as my money has been cut by £30 a week! :eek:
    I want to cry as I have no idea how I am going to manage. *cries* I want to cut it down to £30 a week, but thats a £20 drop on what I usually like to spend.

:wave:

Hi DKAM :)

The OS board is a good place to be, to try to cut down.

Good luck with it :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Morning all :) just updating spends. I have done a monthly shop for all the random dry stuff needed and my meat order which is quietly sitting in the freezer.

So.... £68.00 spend in Waitrose and £54.73 on meat. Last month I ordered some flour from shipton mill which came and look amazing so will make a nice loaf today for dinner. Although I'm not sure what to have for dinner.... perhaps a roast chicken.

The large freezer I ordered for Christmas from my very kind mother is coming on Thursday so will need to empty my old one in the kitchen, move my spare one into the kitchen so I have space for the new one in the pantry. I have decided to dedicate one of the drawers to batch cooking. At least then there are some "ready meals" in case I don't feel well enough to cook. Am I right in thinking that it needs to be totally full to work efficiently? Should i just put bottles of water in it to freeze and keep up the efficiency? Just until it gets totally full LOL!

Have a good new years day everyone!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Pipkin- My rule on rice pud is 1 cup of long grain rice to 3 cups of milk and a low heat with a tablespoon of sugar and some vanilla. You can also make it with short grain pudding rice AND risotto rice for a nice oozy baked one.

Dontknowmyname- Don't worry you will get there. Take a big inventory and start from there. Also take a look at the wonderful recipes on the front page :) they are yum and very good value!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Happy newyear everyone -lets hope its a good one....

Wssla -you can stick empty cardboard boxes and the like ito your freezer to take up space until you can fill it...

Don'tknowanymore.. what a lousy start to the year... who are you feeding and do you have any special dietry requirements? I bet the lovely folks on here can come up with ideas to make it a little easier on you

Well I have started this year off being organised :A:rotfl: -I was preparing the veggies for tonight so did them for tomorrow lunch too -and then the stalks etc have been made into some soup ... enough for 2 or 3 lunches for me "for nothing"
    Tonight I'm doing a veggie cheese bake -basically lightly steaming cauli/broccoli and then I will break it up with a fork and add onions/leeks/spring onions (zapped in micro) and peas and sweetcorn and cooked pasta and my home made cheese sauce and then bake in the oven mmmmmmmm all for (1heA+1.5syns if you SW)

We still have about 2ft of snow here although its trying to rain ...its gonna be a death trap if it does as its soooooo cold it will just freeze up again ... so glad I have a really good supply of food in :T
    Have a lovely day everyone....
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 posts
    just popping in to wish everyone Happy New Year, lets hope we all have a moneysaving 2011:D

Nsd for me today and yesterday :j One of my new year resolutions is to cook one new meal a month with the help of Jamie Oliver and to meal plan more so im going to be sitting down tonight and working it out.
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!