New Post Advanced Search

January 2011 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 December 2010 at 11:09AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.6K replies 293.6K views

Replies

• tabathtabath Forumite
    471 posts
    Linda32 wrote: »
    Hi, welcome to the GC, its every man for himself so to speak :D So you included whatever you want for your challenge.

There isn't any such thing as an average its whats normal for you :)

Now you can do it one of two ways, Include Food/Cleaning/Wine :D Smellies, with maybe the idea being, buying own brand bubble bath rather than Radox for example.

Either, stay within your personal budget for the month at whatever that amount is. Or add up all your receipts for the month and if it comes to £250.00 try to spend £245.00 in February by looking at other offers etc.

Best of luck, and do join in :)

Just as an example, I include all smellies/wine/food/cleaning but I took off a bottle of Sink Unblocker last month as this was a one off and more DIY IYSWIM, and this week I bought a casserole dish which I didn't include, I also don't include the Saturday News Paper.

Thanks for your reply.

I will have to just save my receipts in jan and see what my spend is.
    Starting MB- looking for Raf offers.

Amazon Club Sellers member 0015 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the Ebay and other auctions, Car Boot and Jumble Sales Board
  • Hi everyone :hello:

Reporting in first spends of Jan GC! A total of £51.45 (£21.89 L1dl, £14.36 A*da, £4.67 B00ts and £10.53 at greengrocer) which should see us through the week, with possible exception of a few bits. Stocked up on cheese and salami at L1dl, so should be OK for a while now!

I'm with you Spiggle and hex2 on supermarkets and would love to buy more ethically next year - the big four are definitely not a friendly bunch!! We're lucky in as much as we have a Farmers Market weekly in town, plus easy access to organic veg boxes etc. Must looked harder at the FM as I work in town anyway, so can mooch round lunchtime. :o

Whatever you're all doing for New Year, may it be a safe and happy one! :beer: Roll on 2011...

Silver x
    1st LBM :idea: 21.12.09 Total Debt - £21049.95.
    Final LBM :idea: 16.8.13 Total Debt - £16583
    DFW Nerd #1282 - Proud to be Dealing with My Debts! :D
    :A SPC Member #1182 :A
  • Just updated signature with another £10. This was on some marg as used all ours on baking this morning, some dips, scotch eggs, french stick and pate for tonight, some whoopsied steaks & the gluten-free cereal from the health shop yesterday that I had forgotten to include.

Happy new year everyone & hope you enjoy your evening. ( We are going out although tbh I don't feel in the mood for it but will hopefully feel more up for it after a shower etc.)
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • de1amode1amo Forumite
    3.4K posts
    just an observation---people seem to pop to the shops a lot for a few items but i do wonder if the price of fuel or transport is a factor in budgeting!--in the uk i live in the town centre and 3 major shops are within walking distance. where i live now has lots of small markets close to home that keep us going for reasonable cost between out of town shops-i use the car once a month to shop and all other foodstuffs is collected without extra journies.
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • pipkin71pipkin71 Forumite
    21.8K posts
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    GoodMorning everyone,,

My newyears resolution WILL be to get back to posting on here more often (you have been warned :p)

Afternoon all :)

I will also be trying to post on the OS board more often, again :o

When things slip by the wayside, OS is one of the first to go, but I do miss many of the OS ideas.

Anyway, it looks like 2011 will be a year of change for us, so a good place to start is with the grocery challenge.

I thought I would aim for £70 per week for three of us, but since that equates to £10 per day, and January has 31 days, my grocery budget for January will be £310

Any leftover pennies will be going into the Christmas savings pot, so I won't be aiming to spend it all.

As it is, January will no doubt be a low spend month as, thanks to mummy and daddy, our cupboards are currently full to bursting :o I'm also aiming to cut down on waste, so I will be using up before filling up this time round :)

Good luck to all with your own personal challenges.

Pipkin xxx
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • XSpender wrote: »
    I have to admit to buying some very un organic hash browns for a fry up tomorrow as someone earlier mentioned they were having one and it got my taste buds going.:p:o
    MummyEm wrote: »
    Somehow managed to acquire all the ingredients for a fry up for tomorrow, I blame this on whoever started talking about hash browns this morning!

Sorry folks, it was me who mentioned hash browns! :o I'm blaming it on OH though coz they're just for him! A fry up is great for NYD when you're a bit hungover and much easier to prepare than a roast, I love it. :) Have got a small chicken though so might do roast dinner later on if we're really hungry.
    Pax Et Bonum
  • pavlovs_dogpavlovs_dog Forumite
    10.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XSpender wrote: »
    DH bought me HFW every day book for Christmas:T so I am planning to make the parsnip and cheese bread,

oooh that sounds lovely :drool: any chance of the recipe?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Good afternoon everyone!

Happy new year to everyone and thanks for the new thread Pink-Winged. It's been an absolutely hectic year for me and I've been waiting for the new thread to start again so I can join in. I'd like to set my grocery budget at £40 for January. I only have myself to feed so that should be do-able. It includes all food, toiletries and cleaning materials.

Thanx so much
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • edited 31 December 2010 at 5:40PM
    UnluckyTUnluckyT Forumite
    486 posts
    edited 31 December 2010 at 5:40PM
    hi all can i join in please. might have to bear with me till i get used to doing it.
    at the moment i was thinking/hoping of £40 for a singleton for january. been managing just with £35 but with vat going up?
    have loads in, freezer full of bread, fridge full of carton milk, bought some butter on a bogof in work so have stocked up on offers where i can. plus in work (i work in my local co-op) were were 'given' £10 each but we had to spend it in store but had to initially pay it ourselves to get it back when we handed the recipt in.so stocked up thier.#
    thanks
  • it just food and cleaning materials.