Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 53

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2010 at 12:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.2K views

Replies

• edited 8 November 2010 at 7:14PM
    mummygemsmummygems Forumite
    357 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 8 November 2010 at 7:14PM
    Does anyone have a Fritatta recipe that they use and are willing to share please. Just a basic one?

I really fancy this for dinner tomorrow but the only recipe I have I know DD1 doesnt like. (Can use my potatoes up then as well).

I have had to top up milk today but that was all and was happy to leave the shops behind me and get home! I did have a couple of parcels to collect as well but they are crimbo presents so nothing spent out of the GC. I am sure I will need more ham and bread before the main shop at the weekend.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (13), DD (11) & DS (9) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles
  • ChlorisChloris Forumite
    675 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Updated signature, £16.39 spent over the weekend on GC. Think I might actually be able to manage this:j. Made Coq au Vin in the slow cooker with whoopsied chicken on the weekend and it was great. Looking forward to using it again. I might brave looking for a butcher on Wednesday. Thanks for the info Spiggs, I was looking for the price per kilo in the C**P today when my 3year old son requested the toilet, I didn't make it back to finish the research. Managed to get some reduced sausages and meatballs though. I'm off to make quince jelly with some donated fruit. It smells wonderful, the juice tastes of rhubarb, off to add sugar.
  • Another NSD :T

Tea tomorrow HM lasagne
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Ended up getting DD macoroni yesterday for her cookery at school today. Don't know why I bothered really as she gave it to her friend to take home as none of us like it in this house. Anyway that plus bananas puts another £2.46 onto my spends. NSD today though.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    742 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    had to get milk, sos rolls for son, cheese and marg oh and bottle of pop yesterday just under £5 so i've rounded it up to £5 and put the coppers in my copper jar not doing too bad need to add a receipt from mrA but can't find it will try to add it on tomorrow although the spend on daughters pressie from seperate budget, will need cold tabs and tissues tomorrow gona stock up youngest has nasty cold hope it doesn't set her asthma off like the last one
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • spend day for me !! 16.03 aldi £4.75 Iceland. pleased with that needed all i got (apart from Hot chocolate and marshmallows:o before starting this challange i would have spent twice that and not got what i needed.

off to update siggy :)
    Determined to do better
  • wow this thread grows so quick its hard to keep up with:eek: just poped in to up date my spend did big monthly shop £10.46 in Mr A,£29.44 in Mr T and £47.27 in Mr S so atotal of £87.27 i am quite pleased with that, bck to work today (mr s's) hope i can avoid temptation think i'll leave the debit card at home.:D
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • de1amode1amo Forumite
    3.4K posts
    we had a nsd yesterday--only the second of the month and we are 125 of 175!! i hope my wife has built up a store of food now--i am trying to get somekind of costing on the amount of food we consume at work because this indirectly comes out of our pocket because we own the place!
    mfw'11 No68- 55k mortgage İO--little to nothing saved! i must do better.
  • edited 9 November 2010 at 9:23AM
    franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November 2010 at 9:23AM
    Morning everybody

Had an NSD yesterday apart from my veggie box - I've decided Monday night will always be a veg stew from now on!

I am going to stick with the box for a while mainly because I just love getting a box of fresh veg! it's my indulgence really!

I was going to try and hold out until next Monday for a delivery but I've gone for A*da on Thursday as that's when the fresh stuff starts to run out - I can't realistically last a fortnight between deliveries so I might go back to weekly. I'm still looking for a routine with my shopping that works for me!

Anyway Thursday's shop will get rid of about another £60 so I will need a cheap week after that if the budget's not going to run away with me!

I'm very into simple soup recipes atm with all this veg and here is one I made yesterday which I found on a forum - I really liked this one but I put slightly too much pepper in it:

Sweet potato and carrot soup.

1 onion
    3 carrots and 2 sweet potatoes (chopped)
    1 litre veg stock
    salt and pepper
    herbs (the writer used coriander, I used a pinch of mixed herbs)

Chop and saute the onion in butter, then add the rest of the veg and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock, season and simmer for 30/40 mins.

Blend the veg and add to the remainder of the soup.

Hope everybody is having a good week.
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • Hi,
    Did the weekly shop yesterday in Tesco came in at £34.19. Got some of flour in the 3 for 2 offer. I also did a monthly meat shop in the local butchers on Sat - £20.39. Should hopefully keep me going until the end of the month - fingers crossed.
    Made a lasagne for the first time last night - was delicious! Got 4 extra portions in the freezer for dinners. My freezer is now full to the brim!
    Grocery Challenge Nov £288.12/£250
    Weekly Spend Challenge: 7Nov £23.30/£30 14Nov EEK!/£70 21Nov £0/£30