Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 44

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 October 2010 at 12:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.2K views

Replies

• hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Veg box and a trip to aldi/lidl today has taken me up to £36.87. Milk and banana saving funds the fuel compared to buying in the village co-op. 5lb baking pots at 0.59p are a bonus - some nice varieties, not just tasteless estima.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spigs - thanks, pumpkin soup is now in the index :T

I sent you a pm ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • ChlorisChloris Forumite
    675 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    When into town today so spend of £6.60 on milk, bread and a very nice nut roast as a special meal when my mum visits in a few weeks. Not strictly GC but I found being in the shops drove me nuts and it took me quite a while to settle myself when I got back. Is it just me or do other people find looking for gifts so soul-destroying? There is what people need and then there is all this useless 'tinsel' that we are compelled to buy. I must be feeling very Bah Humbug as I feel like writing cards saying 'This year I have donated your gift to charity.' Anyway I came home huffed and puffed and then did some theraputic soup making!

Thanks Spigs, I think I need to find a good butcher but I hate going into town:rotfl:.
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    NSD today :j thats number 3 :j
    had chicken for tea (whoopsied at sainsbugs) sprouts and a jacket potato twas delish
    DD has made some millies cookies so thats for pud :D
  • waddy80waddy80 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Well i didn't get any whoopsies so another NSD for me!

One thing struck me whilst getting tea ready. I have really got to watch portion sizes! We've had chilli tonight, which was one of my batch cooked meals from the freezer. I took out a container of sauce which should have been 2 portions, but when I served up there was really enough for 3. I had also overcooked rice so there is enough for a quick ready meal for lunch tomorrow.
    Money, money, money, must be funny....in a rich mans world.

• cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    skilly wrote: »
    been useing things up from my freezers i seem to take one thing out and put 2 or 3 things back in :eek:.is just me that has this problem ? .
    I can assure you - hand on heart - that it's not just you that has the problem blush.gif

I swear that when I win the lottery I'm going to buy a house with a walk-in freezer the size of my (not small) kitchen rolleyes2.gif
    Cheryl
  • mummygemsmummygems Forumite
    357 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    waddy80 wrote: »
    Well i didn't get any whoopsies so another NSD for me!

One thing struck me whilst getting tea ready. I have really got to watch portion sizes! We've had chilli tonight, which was one of my batch cooked meals from the freezer. I took out a container of sauce which should have been 2 portions, but when I served up there was really enough for 3. I had also overcooked rice so there is enough for a quick ready meal for lunch tomorrow.

I find this a problem too. I usually find I do too much pasta or not enough pasta lol. I have tried the usual 70g per person but then find I am starving later in the evening so raid the cupboards!

I dont usually realise I have dont too much until I am dishing it up. Now I take some off the plates and have for lunch the next day or dinner later in the week.
    2 adults and 3 children DD (13), DD (11) & DS (9) :smileyhea and 2 mental beagles
  • Imagine my suprise, when i pop out to recover the purple sprouting broccoli and check on it, to find 2 cauliflowers lol. I know i planted some in June/July time but completely forgot and planted them in as broccoli.

So, we had half a giant cauli with our chicken, bacon and mushroom pie and the rest has been frozen! Seeds were 100 for 49p and even with compost etc must be a maximum of 5p :) each.

Still eeking out that final drop of milk and mum n sis have gone to mr t and have asked for milk if they have any (2for#2 i hope) - not done badly as i went shopping on Sun and they had run out so have watered that milk i had down to within an inch of it's life and it has lasted another week with no real effects :)

Chicken curry for dinner tomorrow with perfect rice made in my rice cooker :)
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • edited 5 November 2010 at 7:31PM
    cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 November 2010 at 7:31PM
    Chloris wrote: »
    Bah Humbug as I feel like writing cards saying 'This year I have donated your gift to charity.'

A few years back I did pretty much that by 'buying' gifts from [email protected] Each family member got a card with a picture of what I'd bought, and the school desks, school dinners, chickens, midwife training, teacher training, blankets, plants and radios all went where they were needed.

The same year my parents bought 'me' a goat the same way - took me weeks to convince them this was what I wanted for Christmas as I really didn't need anything for myself.
    Cheryl
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Me again,

I just sorted out my inbox (doesn't it fill up quickly!) and was about to delete the email that I got the pumpkin soup recipe from earlier and there was another one on the email. Now I can't tell you what it's like (I don't eat nuts - "yet another thing the picky c*w won't eat!" I can hear across the UK :rotfl:) but I think the soup recipe mentions the following at the bottom of the recipe. So for anyone who wants to try them here is the recipe courtesy of Dobies of Devon (just so I don't breech copyright! ;)):

Walnut Sables: perfect to serve with soup instead of bread. Take equal quantities of plain white flour, butter and grated Cheddar cheese (aprox 125gms of each). Season the flour with salt and pepper. Rub the butter into the seasoned flour, then add the grated cheese and mix to a smooth paste with the yolk of an egg if the mixture will not bind. Roll out on a floured surface, cut into triangles and place well-spaced on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment. Brush with beaten egg and grate walnuts liberally over the surface. Bake for around 20 minutes at gas mark 4, (Omit walnuts if allergy to nuts might be a problem).

Actually, now I've read it and seen I can leave out the nuts :doh:I may well give that a try as it looks quite scrummy! Could be really nice to take with me to work to have at lunchtime with my hm soup. :drool:

Ok peeps, I've been at the computer all day getting the cheapest home insurance I can find so my eyes are going squiggly. I think I'll go boggle them some more with the telly. :p

Have a great Friday evening, enjoy any fireworks and bonfires you may be having but do stay safe.

Speak with you all tomorrow.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T