Gills Cruise company

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
31 replies 7K views
bowlesbargainbowlesbargain Forumite
210 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
✭✭
Please be careful when booking a cruise with Gills. I have dealt with them a number of times and had good service. But last weekend I saw a good deal with MSC. I agreed cabin and flights when to book but just prior to giving my credit card details was advised that they would take £50 per person admin fee. I have paid £10 in the past also not paid a booking fee at all.
I refused to pay the booking fee and went to Thomas cook they charged £12 more than Gills but got a better grade of cabin on a higher deck that Gills said would cost £50 extra.

I would like to set up a permanent Post for bargain Cruise deals could anyone advise how I go about this. Anyone could add a good deal and a company who will honer the deal.

Replies

• getmore4lessgetmore4less Forumite
    44.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to set up a permanent Post for bargain Cruise deals could anyone advise how I go about this. Anyone could add a good deal and a company who will honer the deal.

Try this one, just add what ever you think is worth looking at

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2713505
  • I used to book with Gills a few yaers ago but their prices & service have gone right off.
  • nomoretwistnomoretwist Forumite
    1 Post
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well that's a shocker - I'm really surprised. No offence but are you sure that this admin fee request is correct and you didn't just misunderstand the pricing? I have cruised a number of times now, and my parents are coming up to their 50th cruise at the end of the year. They tend to be loyal to one provider (typically for their generation) so mostly use Gills because they like the service, and though I shop around like the good money saving expert I'm constantly trying to be, I too find myself drawn back frequently to Gills, not just bcause they usually seem to have better deals, (they've been around since the 1950's I think, so probably get looked after well by the cruise lines I should imagine) but also because in my experience they mostly seem to give good and at times very caring customer service. I admit I have noticed a handling fee creeping in over the last couple of years, but usually around a tenner, but then I am getting used to that whoever I book with - other cruise agents, theatre, planes etc. This £50 thing sounds odd - if I were you I would get back on to Gills customer service and double check it. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
  • edited 22 October 2010 at 8:39AM
    bcl999bcl999
    3.6K Posts
    edited 22 October 2010 at 8:39AM
    I've just been charged a booking fee for thr first time (iglucruise £10).

I can't agree with nomoretwist that Gill's have better deals nowadays. Iglu beat them by miles and Gill's didn't even attempt to match (nor did they respond to my callback requests made via the facility on their site. I ended up calling them.)

So as I said before, I found them good in the past but they wouldn't be my first port of call these days.
  • In two years of asking for cruise qoutes I have never had anything from Gills that is vaguely competitive. Iglu, Cuise.co.uk, Thomas Cook and Cruise Kings always beat them. I tend to then select based on best price/OBC and deposit/final payments terms, e.g. cruise.co.uk are often cheapest but want large deposits and payment 14 weeks in advance so I tend only to use them for last minute bookings. For customer service noone beats Cruise Kings and even if they are £10-15 dearer than nearest rival I go with them as they are very good and responsive. More recently Thomas Cook have had some P&O deals that others have not been able to come close to.

I don't really care if there is a booking fee as long as the total cost has been explained at the time of booking and it isn't an addition to the price quoted.
  • We got a fantastic deal from Sky travel off the TV last year. 14 days round the med in July on the Ventura for £900 for a balcony cabin. Booked 6 weeks before sailing.
  • hansihansi Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a problem with Gill's years ago so I woudn't book with them anyway, and apart from that they are not competitive in their pricing, and they have that damn admin fee plus the credit card charge:mad: It all mounts up
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got a fantastic deal from Sky travel off the TV last year. 14 days round the med in July on the Ventura for £900 for a balcony cabin. Booked 6 weeks before sailing.

Which cruise company was that with please.
    We are thinking about a cruise next year, never done one before but Im getting the impression that is a blumming minefield trying to research and choose one. but yours sounds a bit of a bargain.
    Was it good.
    Im looking for a no fly one by the way.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • kevinyorkkevinyork Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Ive booked twice with Gills in the last year and both times they have beaten the best quote elsewhere. Ive not encountered a booking fee until last week when booking a P&O deal. I pointed out Cruise.co.uk and Thompsons had it at the same price without a booking fee and they dropped it. Also got another £50 off mentioning I saw them on their Iphone App.

Dont think any cruise agent will always offer the best deal on all cruises and comparing quotes will always be the best way to go.
  • Im a single Traveller and tend to find the single supplements on cruises are more often than not too high. I have booked with Gills 3 times now because they seem to get supplement down especially with MSC and Fred Olsen Cruises. Im always looking at their iPhone app since the single section came out.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals