'Free unlimited calls? My !!!!!' Blog discussion

Replies

• dors01dors01 Forumite
    56 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    The thing I love to do to cold callers is if they are selling a physical item such as an upgraded phone or what ever it may be, I like to think of seriously ridiculous questions to ask about it for example I had a phone call at work offering me an upgraded phone and the guy was from India or somewhere and I asked him all about the phone things such as what the dimensions were what countries could it call, did it have a number 3 on it, how many buttons were there in total on the hand set, I think you get the picture.
    Then the best way to finish is to say your not happy with something totally ridiculous such as you only want a handset with x number of buttons or you really want the deal if they can deliver in 12 minutes.
    The people who make the calls are reading from stupid scripts
  • di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    dors01 wrote: »
    The thing I love to do to cold callers is if they are selling a physical item such as an upgraded phone or what ever it may be, I like to think of seriously ridiculous questions to ask about it for example I had a phone call at work offering me an upgraded phone and the guy was from India or somewhere and I asked him all about the phone things such as what the dimensions were what countries could it call, did it have a number 3 on it, how many buttons were there in total on the hand set, I think you get the picture.
    Then the best way to finish is to say your not happy with something totally ridiculous such as you only want a handset with x number of buttons or you really want the deal if they can deliver in 12 minutes.
    The people who make the calls are reading from stupid scripts

lmao love it lol :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:, good one!:T:D
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • As someone who has subscribed to the TPS service (which as you say seems to work well apart from the auto diallers) I am annoyed that when using comparasion websites recently for car insurance (specifically the one that involves little furry animals) I slipped up and instead of my usual practice of putting in a nonsense phone number into the "*required field box" I inadvertently put in my home number although I did tick the appropriate boxes showing that I only wanted to be contacted by email and not by post or phone.

Imagine then my surprise that within seconds of the quote results appearing on screen my house phone started to ring with the "withheld number" display on answering it was a female from the AA Insurance chasing business
    I've had this too, from another comparison site for the "bewildered". I use unique e-mail addresses every time I need to give one, so I can see who's been passing it on.

Not only do they pass on e-mail addresses, they also passed on my office phone number to unconnected businesses - I've had sales calls from a mobile phone company (❛) and a scam-worthy PC support service who were claiming my PC was riddled with virii and spyware.

You need to be very careful with the comparison sites because some ignore your requirements completely. I nearly took out a policy which seemed good value, but on closer inspection was third party F&T only and not Comprehensive as requested.

Buyer beware!
  • Paul_HerringPaul_Herring Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    KTM_Gordo wrote: »
    I've had this too, from another comparison site for the "bewildered". I use unique e-mail addresses every time I need to give one, so I can see who's been passing it on.

I too use unique email addresses, and can't say that I've had this problem with that particular firm; however do bear in mind that they must pass your details on to the companies you're comparing with (or that's been my experience with car insurance,) and it's not improbable that one of those are the ones selling your details.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • bestymanbestyman Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I use exclusively VOIP at home, and have about 6 "home phone" numbers, of varying importance in my dial plan, different call groups, routes, hours of operation, etc. etc.

I specifically have one number that is a "throwaway" number used for web forms, competitions, online orders, etc. It never rings any phone in the house, but gets dumped straight to voicemail after a quick notification that if they want to contact me on this number they must leave a message as the number will never be answered by a human. It provides much amusement to watch the 20-odd attempted marketing type calls come to it each and every day from 5am to 11pm! Strangely, the only messages ever left on it tend to be order delivery updates... no one else bothers :D

Who do you use for incoming Voip numbers please and are they free?
    On the internet you can be anything you want.It`s strange so many people choose to be rude and stupid.
  • burky1959 wrote: »
    My dad was cold called by a rep from virgin, he wears 2 hearing aids and agreed to their better deal. But didnt tell any of us what he had done, it wasnt until about 2 months later when he said he had recieved a bill from them for £120.00 a month, when I contacted them, they said he was now tied into an agreement with them. Part of this package was £36.00 a month for Broadband (he doesnt even have a computer) after several weeks and making several complaints, we cancelled, but he had to pay them over £300.00, believe it or not £60.00 was to deactivate his phone line for the Broadband he didnt have. A absolute rip off, I now believe they prey on the older generation. I made my complaint official in writing but to this day have not recieved a reply. and my dad, he wants no fuss, but has now lost all his confidence answering his own phone.

This is the sort of abuse that needs to be stopped.

This could easily be any pensioner or vulnerable person and is clearly a case of mis selling.

Virgin in this case not only sold something that was unsuitable but imposed a high charge to release the line. Quite outrageous - Tricky Dicky Branson ought to be ashamed.

BT are as bad and worse though accept it's harder to pin abuse to an individual like Tricky Dicky.

Again I'll gladly back a campaign to outlaw ALL premium rate calls and cold calling phone salesmen.
  • edited 13 September 2010 at 7:56PM
    rickbonarrickbonar
    448 Posts
    edited 13 September 2010 at 7:56PM
    I still get idiotic sales calls from BT offering their rip off services at only 3 times what I'm paying now. (I'm with talktalk)

Beats me why anyone still is with BT.

As an example their advert on TV recently with the guy from the show "my family" with the ad stating that the best way to contact was by phone rather than computer ...

I was considering whether to complain to advertising standards agency because clearly phone isn't the most personal to interact but something like the free skype service (free video and voice) for example would be far better. Not to mention the myriad of other companies that do phone calls far cheaper than BT.

Does anyone know whether BT are still the most expensive phone company in the world?

Misleading and untrue my basis for complaint to ASA.
  • I use my PAYG rarely, £10 lasts about 5-6months. I was told by a cold caller from 3 who was very insistent that I probably didn't understand how PAYG mobile worked you had to use a minimum of £5
  • dlordedlorde Forumite
    56 Posts
    I registered with TPS years ago, and had a couple of successes with complaints to them, and for a while cold-calls practically stopped. But sales tactics have changed - I now get sales calls disguised as marketing research (not covered by TPS), and UK companies using foreign affiliates to cold-call the UK on their behalf (also apparently not covered).

I've tried all kinds of ways to put them off, from leaving them waiting 30 mins while I get the missus (which unfortunately blocks other calls), to Mr.Angry, or just repeating everything back to them as a question, or Mr.Religious (have you been saved? let God into your life, etc), or the 5 second memory man (what are you selling again?).

But this stuff soon gets boring, so now I either tell them I'm not interested and put the phone down, or ask for full details (company name, number, address, etc.), so I can call them back later about the offer. If they won't give those details, they're clearly untrustworthy.
  • flibblesan wrote: »
    Sadly, signing up to the TPS does not guarantee to prevent these type of calls. The point of the TPS is to register your number on a national "Do Not Call" list which telemarketing companies are supposed to take notice of, but there are the few that don't bother.

I have been with the TPS for some years now, but was called the other evening by a kitchen company - I went along with the call to get their details, but when I eventually stated I was with TPS she indicated that I should be re-registering every now and then and that is why her call slipped through.

Does anyone know any different, as I was under the impression you didn't need to keep re-registering.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion