MSE News: Npower to pay £70m in refunds after billing blunder

edited 1 October 2010 at 1:48AM in Energy
174 replies 21.4K views

Replies

• edited 3 October 2010 at 6:30PM
    DirectDebacleDirectDebacle Forumite
    2K Posts
    edited 3 October 2010 at 6:30PM
    I agree not as clear as it could be. Thing is npower have not admitted they have done anything wrong. In fact the opposite. They are claiming customers are on average £60.00 better off as a result of their changes but because they didn't communicate those changes to customers adequately are now making a goodwill payment. They are certainly not, according to them, refunding funds gained from overcharging. we know different of course.

Be interesting to see if anyone challenges this.

The quandary for npower is that they are re-calculating bills and basing the payments on gas consumption and anniversary date of joining ie as if they did overcharge.

If it is as they say just a goodwill payment for lack of proper communication why isn't it just a flat payment to everyone?
  • edited 4 October 2010 at 1:16PM
    kappachino10kappachino10 Forumite
    39 Posts
    edited 4 October 2010 at 1:16PM
    hi - just got off the phone to npower who claim they have no details about me, my house or of any account ive held with them!! (I remember them because of the extortionate bill I was left with when I left them!) This, despite me reading out my meter serial number too!! Any advice??

Many thanks,

Karen
    You only get one life - but if you live it properly - it's enough! :rotfl:
  • hi - just got off the phone to npower who claim they have no details about me, my house or of any account ive held with them!! (I remember them because of the extortionate bill I was left with when I left them!) This, despite me reading out my meter serial number too!! Any advice??

Many thanks,

Karen

If you don't have any of the old bills what you will need is the MPRN (Meter point reference no.) which is different to the serial no on the meter. Transco should be able to tell you what your MPRN is.

Contact them on 0870 608 1524 (Transco can only provide details of MPRNs that do not belong to Independent Gas Transporters).
  • I agree not as clear as it could be. Thing is npower have not admitted they have done anything wrong. In fact the opposite. They are claiming customers are on average £60.00 better off as a result of their changes but because they didn't communicate those changes to customers adequately are now making a goodwill payment. They are certainly not, according to them, refunding funds gained from overcharging. we know different of course.QUOTE]

Having gone through npowers press statement I believe my comments above are not quite correct. npower say this
    Recognising that confusion has continued, especially around the primary block, we have worked closely with Consumer Focus to find an answer to these concerns. We have decided to review every individual customer’s account for 2007 and we have agreed how we will determine if any customer has paid for more than 4,572 primary block units in a year. If they have, we will make a payment to match the excess. We will add VAT and ignore any benefits from other changes we made in 2007.

Full press release here: http://www.npowermediacentre.com/Press-Releases/npower-makes-special-payments-to-gas-customers-eb3.aspx

So without admitting any wrongdoing it appears that they are refunding money they overcharged as opposed to it being a goodwill payment.

In examples such as northernstar5 it would in my opinion be quite wrong for a goodwill payment for poor service to be deducted from an overcharging refund.
  • I was an n power customer in a rented flat. Had similar problems to some of you. I was with them march 2009 to march 2010, from march to november I was in £80 + credit for gas, the meter was read in novemeber and in the space of 3 months I had ran up a bill of £200+ in gas, when phoning customer services they had said they reduced my monthly payments as I was in credit ( just as it was coming ito winter???) how stupid, I was not notified of this reduction and was then faced with the huge bill.

Similarly I only had heating on when in the flat ( generally 1 hour per night) a small 1 bed flat so wasn't going to take much to heat. i was totally appalled with this bill and after lengthy discussions with Npower I had to pay the bill. I was not best pleased!!

I will NEVER use Npower again. Friends and families have had major problems with them also, it rediculous!!

Unfortunately I will not qualify for a refund as it was only last year I had my issue.

Hope you all have some success, good luck!
  • We had a dual fuel account with nPower from March 07 until Nov 09.
    I just logged in to my account online (still active although we are now with another supplier) and read the FAQs. It suggested that ex-customers should submit an online enquiry form to speed up the process. I had to dig out my old gas account number to include on the form. I received an immediate acknowledgement by e-mail. Then, literally within 10 minutes, I received a call from a very friendly UK call centre lady who confirmed that we qualified for a £54 refund ! Apparently, we'll get a letter next week with a barcode which can be exchanged for cash at any Post Office. That's what I call service !
  • i called up the freephone 0800 npower as i am sure i was a gas customer back in 2005-2008 of bills 800+ per quarter.

but they are denying they ever supplied gas to the premises? how can i double check as i have no paper work to prove it? and i have thrown away all my giro slips when i paid the bills off...
  • darenm wrote: »
    We had a dual fuel account with nPower from March 07 until Nov 09.
    I just logged in to my account online (still active although we are now with another supplier) and read the FAQs. It suggested that ex-customers should submit an online enquiry form to speed up the process. I had to dig out my old gas account number to include on the form. I received an immediate acknowledgement by e-mail. Then, literally within 10 minutes, I received a call from a very friendly UK call centre lady who confirmed that we qualified for a £54 refund ! Apparently, we'll get a letter next week with a barcode which can be exchanged for cash at any Post Office. That's what I call service !

can you provide link for online query ? what reference did you give? as I only have my MPRN .
  • Online link is;

(w)ww.npower.com/at_home/applications/BERT2.Web.UI/RegisterMyInterest/default.aspx (sorry not allowed to post links)
    (h)ttps://customerservices.npower.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/299 (previous page with a few details on)

you need quite a few details:
    period of supply
    gas account number (if known)
    supply address etc
  • meggsymeggsy Forumite
    741 Posts
    Has anyone received their refund yet ?

I received a goodwill payment in 2008 and they have now sent
    a refund of almost the same amount ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead