Do you share food bargains or take the lot?

Replies

• meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    money21 wrote: »
    hi i went to tesco last night with my mum,i picked up some reduced grapes my mum was with me and she said can you get me some.There was a lady in the freezer so
    i asked polietly can she pass me some grapes.She was so rude and said to me that you already got some.So rude and she continued to take the rest of the grapes.Sometimes when there is a baragin i take it all and freeze,but i had asked poiletly and they were for someone else.I think she left her manners at home.

Sadly a lot of people seem to be leaving manners at home (or maybe not, perhaps they just dont have any good ones).

I witnessed an appauling lack of manners at my local Asda whoopsies today, but I almost ashamed to say it gave me the best laugh I have had in ages.

Our Asda now put the whoopsies in a rather narrow chiller cabinet
    but six shelves deep. To view the bottom shelf you need to almost
    stand on your head. A rather large lady positioned herself in front of this
    using her large trolley to block one side and actually put her left arm out to prevent anyone looking on the other side getting a bargain..
    Two ladies trying to get a look were held back my her arm. As she hoovered her way through the shelves taking everything ,when she came to the bottom one, there she was with her bum in the air and one of the ladies held back by he arm just nudged her Bumps see Daisy like and she went head first into the chiller.

I am normally a very caring person and would rush to offer assistance to anyone, but I just could not stop laughing. It was a very gentle bump and she suffered noting more than indignity, but the sight of that large bum struggling to upright amid squeeks and squeals just had me in bits. I didnt get any whoopsies today but gained a memory which will keep me giggling for weeks.
    Slimming World at target
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    meg72 wrote: »
    using her large trolley to block one side and actually put her left arm out to prevent anyone looking on the other side getting a bargain..
    Two ladies trying to get a look were held back my her arm. As she hoovered her way through the shelves taking everything ,when she came to the bottom one, there she was with her bum in the air and one of the ladies held back by he arm just nudged her Bumps see Daisy like and she went head first into the chiller.

Oh I'd have LOVED to have seen that! Some people are so greedy- I always wonder how people get through life being so "me me me and no one else!" its really quite saddening that people cannot seem to share- its more then food, its about remembering there are others around you other then you and your family, it just takes a small gesture, saying "here I have two, would you like one" to really make someones day and quite often its enough to have that person go on and do the same.
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I popped in Sainsbury's the other night for a few bits, just to keep us going till my main shop at the weekend. I needed a few mushrooms which, unfortunately, are right next to the reduced fruit and veg section. My timing was bad as it was just as the reductions were happening. I could not believe the greed of some people - one chap just had a basket and it was piled high with bags of potatoes. He couldn't lift it and had to push it towards the tills! Others were blocking everyone else with their trollies and almost grabbing the packs out of each others hands. I had no chance of getting at the mushrooms and gave up in disgust. I like a bargain as much as the next person but can not imagine myself behaving like these people.

And to answer the original question - if I had been there alone and seen the reductions I would have taken just a few of the items and left the rest for someone else. Pity lots of other people don't share the same attitude these days.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • I get what I know we will eat.

The other week we where in Asda and noticed a woman with a trolley full of meat with yellow stickers, we went to the reduced shelf and managed to get a few bits and went to the till.
    The said woman was a few lanes down from us and my OH heard her saying to the cashier " Oh, I don't want these now sorry, I've just remembered that I have no room in my freezer " and she was giving the poor lad at the till all this meat back!

I was really mad as I thought she shouldn't have been so bloody greedy and someone else could have benefited from her greed! :mad:
    Mum to 3 gorgeous kids

Hoping to have a better year this year.

RIP Dad 8/9/10 and Grandma 2/11/10 My special Angels:A:A
  • MothershipMothership Forumite
    823 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    A few years back I was in Tesco's quite late in the evening, I had a wee look at the reduced shelf, nothing left, I was just about to walk away when an assistant came over with a pricing gun. "If you see anything you want with todays date on bring it to me and I will reduce it", off I went and had a good look around. I found one of those organic veg boxes I think it was about £8-10 and a few other bits and bobs. I took it up to the assistant and he started reducing everything (I had about 6 items) he printed off the stamps 10p, 10p, 10p, 10p, 10p, he was just about to do the veg box when another shopper slapped her hand on the box "This is MINE" she said. He printed off the label 10p stuck it on the box and put it in MY trolly, "Hey what do you think your doing she shouted , THATS MINE!" The assistant told her "NO its hers , she found it and brought it to me". I told her there was another one still on the shelf, she bolted towards it . Too late a woman with two kids put it in her trolly, as I passed her I told her to take it to the assistant he'd reduce it for her. He did , 10p . The wee lassie was delighted, and so was I 60p for a load of fruit and veg that did me the whole week. The other woman stormed off in a huff.

Another time (xmas eve) I got a free range Turkey for 10p it was originally £38, I didn't notice it had gone through at 10p until the cashier asked for payment, I asked her to repeat the amount I owed £1.34. "Merry Xmas, I hope you have a nice dinner" she said, and gave me a huge smile.
    I was buying it because I had 4 extra people coming for xmas dinner and the turkey I had wasn't big enough to feed all of us, what a feast we had.

These were the best bargains I ever had reduced.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • dawnybabesdawnybabes Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I normally leave for other people - but my DS is coeliac and just after Xmas M & S reduced their gluten free sausage meat to 50p - I bought the lot, probably have 2 packs left but they have done us well .... they have just started restocking it now for Xmas so will be stocking up again.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • GrandmasuGrandmasu Forumite
    252 Posts
    I too like a bargain but hate the way some eople are SO greedy. If there are only two or three people there when the reductions are done I will always ask if any one else wants one when there are several of the same thing.

I could not bring myself to take more than two, in our local Morrissons there is a really nice man who does reductions, late on a Sunday and he hands things over the "greedy grasping" ones to people who have been blocked by them.

I always make a point of thanking him he is a real gentleman.
  • TakanaTakana Forumite
    57 Posts
    I only take what I will use and can afford. I only really shop in tescos and people are like vultures in there. Most times I can't get near the reduced section and have to fight my way in. One time there was this older couple who each had empty trollies. They used them to block off the reduced section so only they could get items. The man was like 'on look out' while the women took it all!!

Another time it was just me and another women and she kept handing me all this food to see if I wanted it first!!

You can never tell lol
  • dawnybabes wrote: »
    I normally leave for other people - but my DS is coeliac and just after Xmas M & S reduced their gluten free sausage meat to 50p - I bought the lot, probably have 2 packs left but they have done us well .... they have just started restocking it now for Xmas so will be stocking up again.

i'm pretty much the same, if its something gluten free i'll generally buy the lot as my husbands food is so expensive normally....my local waitrose had Genius bread down to 35p a loaf the other week, i had all 6 loaves.
  • my mums murder for a bargin and will take the lot as there are four grandchildren under 5 to feed.
    recently though the manager at our local store began to notice and take offence.
    he said, all the customers know and the staff that you only come in here for knock
    down stuff.
    which is completly untrue she does nearly all her shopping at that store
    particulary at christmas when we spend an awful lot.
    it became an ordeal when ever she entered
    the store.
    she is 69 her friend is 70, they like whoops shopping whats wrong with that.

It is a bit embarassing, but they get some good bargins.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides