Do you share food bargains or take the lot?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Food Shopping & Groceries
148 replies 21.8K views

Replies

• FatVonDFatVonD Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did once buy 8 boxes of washing powder that had been marked down to 18p each!

We no longer have a chest freezer so can't buy too much but if there was something I wanted, freezer space permitting, I'd buy them all. I'd would be a bit polite about it though, I'd never barge someone out of the way and I don't hog the full width of the reduced cabinet.

On a (slightly) related note, we often have sales of cosmetics in our building at work but they are thrown all mixed up into boxes so it's a real bun fight getting anything. One day one of my collegaues was crouched looking through a box when another woman KNEELED ON HER BACK to reach over to another box!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • ive just poped into somerfeild and there was nothing reduced on the shelfs in the fresh food section, i went to the deli counter to get some ham and saw a women and her husband with two big trollys piled to the top with reduced goods in them.lol
    at the mo, are somerfeild is getting rid of lines before it becomes a co op. she told her husband to get another trolly making it 3 of them so she can empty the reduced section which had washing powder and airwick plug ins. first time ive ever seen anyone do that before.
    :rotfl: given up on tesco do a lot os boots offers. but weekends are now in orange trackside b. lol
    now a race marshal at silverstone.:beer:
  • angeluk2angeluk2 Forumite
    143 Posts
    ive just poped into somerfeild and there was nothing reduced on the shelfs in the fresh food section, i went to the deli counter to get some ham and saw a women and her husband with two big trollys piled to the top with reduced goods in them.lol
    at the mo, are somerfeild is getting rid of lines before it becomes a co op. she told her husband to get another trolly making it 3 of them so she can empty the reduced section which had washing powder and airwick plug ins. first time ive ever seen anyone do that before.

That is exactly what happened in the sommerfield that closed in the next town to where i live. It actually got quite scarey at times with big muscley men loading alcohol into trolleys as fast as they could and women with 2 or 3 trolleys grabbing anything they could get there hands on! There were 2 women who really wound everyone else up,grabbing everything in sight, even the shop assistance trying to price stuff were looking at them in disgust muttering about being greedy. Im normally polite but i got so mad i walked in front of one to grab some crisps before they swipped them all, then let two other ladies in front of me so they could get some too. The greedy women were tutting at me and trying to push by but i stood my ground! all for crisps!:rotfl:
  • I really hate how (in other queues and shops as well not just reduced aisle) how people spread themselves out and purposefully get in your way of looking at stuff....especially in the reduced aisle. I am probably just as bad tho as I always have to lurk around and have a look LOL

I only really take what I need but my most embarrassing one was when there were loads and loads of stuff at tesco reduced fridge, stacked on floor etc and I took something....out of another woman's basket LOL she just laughed and I put it back but I still cringe!
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • it was by mistake I hasten to add!!! because stuff was stacked up on floor and there was a basket full of bread, I didn't realise it was a woman's basket! Mothership I cannot BELIEVE that woman did that, good for you.

It really is all so petty, I love a bargain as much as the next person but one look on the old style board here will show you there is plentiful food cheap enough out there already, and aren't we lucky to have it. I did my last shop online and although it did haunt me I wasn't making the best savings and missing reduced items, it was MUCH less stressful!
    Debt Free Wannabe by 1 January 2016 :o

Jan 2015 GC £520/£450
    Feb £139/£450
  • chardonnay_2chardonnay_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lol, legalblonde, i almost did that too. when our tesco was being expanded they were reducing loads of stuff. on the floor next to one of the reducing cabinets was an over flowing basket of wine and cupboard items. i indicated to my husband look at all those goodies:j, luckily i didn't dive in as it turned out to be one of the regular's basket who had beaten us to the bargains:rotfl:
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • When me and my mum go shopping, I have to remind her to keep an eye on her trolley in case of trolley pinchers.......madness! However on another note, if any one reading this are the "frantic trolley fillers", please bear in mind that many other people are in the same boat as you!
  • VailaVaila Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    When me and my mum go shopping, I have to remind her to keep an eye on her trolley in case of trolley pinchers.......madness! However on another note, if any one reading this are the "frantic trolley fillers", please bear in mind that many other people are in the same boat as you!
    goodness, people must be very desperate and well rude if they nick stuff from your trolley or basket, only similar experience of this was when i was at a library and a woman picked up and started reading a book of mine that was obvious not a library book ..anyway
  • boo1boo1 Forumite
    160 Posts
    I went to my local Waitrose yesterday for bread and always have a mooch around the reduced bits and last night they had yellowfin tuna steaks, normally £6.49 per pack (who in their right mind can afford to pay that??? :eek:) reduced to 99p. There were about 10 on the shelf so I bought 4. It did cross my mind to buy them all but as I'm the only one here who eats it I though that would be very greedy, also, and probably more truthfully, my freezer is full so could not guarantee they would all get in there..... :rotfl:
  • money21money21 Forumite
    405 Posts
    hi i went to tesco last night with my mum,i picked up some reduced grapes my mum was with me and she said can you get me some.There was a lady in the freezer so
    i asked polietly can she pass me some grapes.She was so rude and said to me that you already got some.So rude and she continued to take the rest of the grapes.Sometimes when there is a baragin i take it all and freeze,but i had asked poiletly and they were for someone else.I think she left her manners at home.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals