'The 5% Sainsbury's Saving Account (that pays 4%)' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• nzseries1nzseries1 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    It's just like high street sales where everything is "up to 50% off".

Why not say everything is "up to 100% off"? "up to 200% off"?

It's still technically true, even if nothing is actually discounted at all!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
    2.2K Posts
    And the piece on The Simpsons where Lisa is taking a tour round a box factory.

Tour Guide: Each box contains a certain percentage of recycled material!
    Lisa: And what percentage is that?
    Tour Guide: Zero. What? Zero is a percent.
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • I still don't see where the 5% comes from. Or was it just a typo?
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sceptic001 wrote: »
    I still don't see where the 5% comes from. Or was it just a typo?
    Yes, I believe so.

[Or a deliberate "mistake" to get publicity?]
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I now genuinely believe it was just a typo and am now feeling slightly mean for blogging it.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Toe-JamToe-Jam Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I now genuinely believe it was just a typo and am now feeling slightly mean for blogging it.

Slow news day ?;)
    2.2K Posts
    MSE_Martin wrote: »

I wouldn't feel bad... it's free publicity for them, even if just for a few of us! :D
  • Sceptic001Sceptic001 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    nzseries1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't feel bad... it's free publicity for them, even if just for a few of us! :D
    I agree with nzseries1 - (nearly) all publicity is good publicity, and 3% fixed for one year looks good to me. Only Santander is paying more, and only to existing long-suffering customers.
  • Sounds like an offer about a year ago.
    We applied, filled in all of the forms in and sent them off, and it was getting very close to the end of the offer, and guess what....
    Sainsbury's could "find" my wife but could not "find" me.
    So we missed out on the offer and put our money somewhere else (at a better rate it just so happended).
  • Martin I think you've also fallen victim to the dreaded typo:

"why not say paying between three and nine percent"

Nine?
    AKA: PC

Rest in Peace Fred the Maddest Muppet in Heaven :heart:
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS