Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

October 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 27 September 2010 at 10:32PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 105.7K views

Replies

• Please put me in at 260.00 for month I'm going to try to stick to budget xmas looming need to save some money

I feel a menu plan coming on
    Debt 25,000 /0.00 Paid off before I found this site .Lightbulb moment ,being refused consolidation loan .Took 4 yrs :T
    Mortgage 66,000/56,000
    Emergency Fund 2.00
    March Grocery Challenge 250/420. April 375.00 :)
    3 Adults , 1 teenager 1 dog ,toiletries cleaning stuff.:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Hello there! Undaunted by what can only be described as my EPIC FAIL, can I please be put down for £90 again in October? I will do it this time, I will! (I blummin' hope so, grrr!)

Thanks to MrsM, rosieben and Pink for the thread, and thanks to everyone who posts with such helpful advice and tips :).
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Evening all :) well.... after looking in the fridge, I made my own concotion..... A mushroom sauce for my steak and it was lovely!

Here's what I did:

Quick steak sauce:
    Slice up thinly four slices of panchetta (or streaky bacon) and fry it in some olive oil
    then add some sliced mushrooms and fry for a couple of minutes
    Add a quarter of a leek, thinly sliced and again let it fry for a minute
    Pour in a quarter pint of milk and let the whole lot boil
    Whilst it's boiling, add a half of a beef stock cube and salt and pepper to taste
    then reduce it until it looks creamy then pour over the steaks!

Very nice it was too :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79

• Can we join again please?
    Please put us down for £380 for October.

We've been keeping track of grocery spending in September and it's way over £400. :eek:
    Back to menu planning, cooking double meals and staying away from the shops!

TheBees
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • I started my new month last friday as it was pay day since then ive spent £61 on mrA online order,£3 in local shop on fruit etc and£7 today fruit bacon and veg so a £71 spend for me so far ... good luck for this month everyone x
    may groc challenge £167/£280...
  • Please put me down for £320 again for October. It was a guess last month as it was the first time I had joined the GC, but this month we have half term to contend with and I will also start to get bits and pieces for December (you know what I mean!)
    majjak wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I don't think I was too much over target though, just didn't keep a record for the last 2 weeks :o How does everyone else do it?

Must come on and post so that I can get a well deserved kick up the bum if I forget to keep tabs on spends. :o

I keep an envelope in my handbag and put the receipts straight into it at the till. I use the envelope to add up the totals and then update my signature when I remember!

Good luck everyone and thanks for the support on here
    Hooby
    MFiT-T2 #49 December 09 £15373, January 12 £0 target £0 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 11 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T2 #50 August 11 £111,691.25, December 12 £96,699.20 target £99,999 by 12/12/12
    TARGET MET 3 months early - YIPPEE
    MFiT-T3 #49June 14 £76338.33 target £49999 by 12/12/15
  • I would like to try the GC again, with £180 starting 1st Oct. Have full cupboards and freezer so should not be too hard. I also want to get into making soup again which is cheap and filling, and good for the diet! Good luck everyone
  • sistercassistercas Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by majjak viewpost.gif
    Hi everyone

I don't think I was too much over target though, just didn't keep a record for the last 2 weeks :o How does everyone else do it?

I have a magnetic clip on the fridge and as soon as i put my shopping away i slip the receipt into the clip and then record it onto my spreadsheet later (DH has been instructed to do the same ;))

had a NSD yesterday 1st one of 15 hopefully, was hoping for one today too but the milk we have is smelling slightly suspect :eek:
  • Please can I join in this month with £350. I'm very much back on the OS wagon after a few months off so need & I WILL stick to my budget this month!!!

MMM
    The 2012 mantra - "A place for everything, and everything in it's place"
  • monksmonks Forumite
    163 posts
    First two days of gc have managed NSDs:j ,have to pay for school lunches today £10 ,so blown my good intentions. Cold wet day so going to make Hm soup for tonight and use up any old veg lurking. Lucky in that OH loves hm veggie soups and would eat it nearly every day. Booked online shop last night then cancelled it yet again ,already have enough in for next few days except wine :( .This challenge really makes me question what i actually need instead of what i think i need !!!
    Annual GC £3000- £2600

EF#176 - £1000/£1000
    Weight loss 0/7
    Clutter free challenge 1500/2019