• zee_2zee_2 Forumite
    566 Posts
    only an idiot would ask or someone desperate to gain notice
    whever it is needs help.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    20.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an ex sparky myself ( when it was red black and bare and rubber ) i am well aware not to do what should not be done .Its a moulded power unit that cannot be chopped off .

its really the legality of selling a product that does not have a UK plug on it with no adaptor and no description of non UK plug with the sales information . I know consumer law changed regarding the fitting of plugs on electrical goods but cannot find anything definite .

I am actually returning the unit as they sent the wrong product but wanted to point out that they may get in to trouble if the plug was unlawful in the UK .

jje
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    I am actually returning the unit as they sent the wrong product but wanted to point out that they may get in to trouble if the plug was unlawful in the UK .
    jje

I don't think a 2 pin plug is actually illegal. I was recently looking at some German made equipment. The UK supplier said that it would be supplied with a BS Standard 2 to 3 pin adaptor - don't see anything wrong with that.

Am HORRIFIED at some of the suggestions made above in this thread !!!!!
  • Shavers come with two-pin plugs
  • edited 22 September 2010 at 11:19PM
    Owain_MoneysaverOwain_Moneysaver Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 22 September 2010 at 11:19PM
    The legislation is the The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 (Consumer Protection Act 1987)
    12.—(1) Subject to the following provisions of this regulation, no person shall supply, offer for supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any appliance unless that appliance is correctly fitted with a standard plug which–

(a) complies with the requirements of regulation 8 above [that plugs of that type conform to BS 1363;] and

(b) is fitted with a fuse link which conforms to BS 1362 and is rated in accordance with the appliance manufacturer’s instructions, provided that in the absence of such instructions the fuse link may be rated in accordance with Table 2 of BS 1363.

(2) Paragraph (1) above shall not prohibit any person from supplying, offering to supply, agreeing to supply, exposing for supply or possessing for supply any appliance which does not comply with the requirements of that paragraph but which–

(a) is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1; and

(b) is fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool.

There are exceptions for shavers, toothbrushes etc intended for use with Shaver Supply Units.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • zax47zax47 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    As an ex sparky myself ( when it was red black and bare and rubber ) i am well aware not to do what should not be done .Its a moulded power unit that cannot be chopped off .

its really the legality of selling a product that does not have a UK plug on it with no adaptor and no description of non UK plug with the sales information . I know consumer law changed regarding the fitting of plugs on electrical goods but cannot find anything definite .

jje

Did you buy it from Pixmania? Being based/shipping from France, they are renowned for this and have been warned they must supply 2 pin to BS1363 adaptors if they supply to the UK. Bought a couple of routers from them for the office network and had the same problem. Got adaptors from CPC in the end as Pixmania CS were bloody useless.
  • moonrakerzmoonrakerz Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The legislation is the The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994 (Consumer Protection Act 1987)

Which says:
    " is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1"

Which means that a 2 pin plug is permissible.
  • zax47zax47 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    Which says:
    " is correctly fitted with a non–UK plug which complies with the safety provisions of IEC 884–1"

Which means that a 2 pin plug is permissible.

But you missed the important bit - the "and"

"<what you quoted> ... and,

(b) is fitted with a conversion plug which complies with the requirements of paragraph (3) below and which encloses the fitted non–UK plug and can only be removed by the use of a tool. "

The and is thus important. You can supply items fitted with a 2 pin plug provided you also supply an adaptor to make it into a BS1363 3-pin plug.
  • edited 23 September 2010 at 12:48PM
    GloomendoomGloomendoom Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 September 2010 at 12:48PM
    PeteMc wrote: »
    You can use at on your UK plug sockets (at your own risk!) by opening the earth part of the socket (use something wooden) and then putting the two pins into the live/neutral part. I did this for the odd charger I brought back from France before buying a UK one. Some though won't hold fast into a wall socket as the weight is too much without an Earth 'anchor'. My router was one of these and I bought the UK version for a couple of quid off ebay.

Not sure of the legality in selling items in the UK with foreign plugs on them but if you bought from abroad then they will not be obliged to provide an adapter, though some do.

PS You can tell if the product needs to have an Earth connection on a French plug as it will have a hole above and in the middle of the two pins. Never seen these on chargers/adaptors though just general heavier duty electrical items

I had the misfortune to temporarily share a workshop with a French guy who did exactly this. He b*ggered up every socket in the place with his stupid continental antics. shaking.gif

Must take the biscuit for the daftest suggestion of the day. Don't do it!
  • Some 2 pin plugs do have an earth, it can look like a metal tab on the outside of the moulding.

As long as the equipment is double insulated i.e. does not require an earth then cut the plug off and fit a normal 3 pin BS1363 plug.

It is not illegal to use a 2 pin plug in the UK, it may have legal implications if the plug was used incorrectly i.e. force it in a BS style socket, and consequential damage occurred.

Some hotels are fitted with dual socket arrangements, and air bases fitted with American sockets in the UK. Equally plenty of ex-pats fit BS sockets in France and Spain. The key is to use the correct combination of plug and socket

In the event of damage due to misuse the likely hood would be the manufacturer would get involved. If someone has forced a 2 pin plug into a BS socket with a urea front (most are urea in the UK) it is usually quite obvious and incriminating for the culprit ! I have seen them before... and yes most houses in the UK do not have RCD protection on their socket rings, a worrying thought.

Really why risk your house, your family, and maybe someone else's adjoining house for a couple of quid ?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

NS&I to change Premium Bond prize rate

It will rise to 1.40% from June

MSE News

Compers of the MSE Forum:

Show us the prizes you've won recently

Join the MSE Forum discussion