Claiming from Lloyds

Hi All,

As I start wading my way through tons of paperwork to sort my entire situation out I am discovering a lot of charges from Lloyds. I still only have partial info at the moment until I have gone through everything.

On my partners credit card, it seems he was mis sold the PPI as he was self employed when he took it out, so that's approximately 48 x £11.52, which should be fairly simply to claim back (I hope).

What I would like to know is for quite a while now we haven't been paying off the card, but the bank has been taking payments from our current account. They have been charging every month for late payment and interest as it's way over the limit, but they never took the minimum payment amount (even though it was available), what chance do we have of claiming back/stopping the late payment charges and interest?

Many thanks in advance for any info :)

Replies

• di3004di3004 Forumite
    42.6K Posts
    Burnybum wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Hi there

As I start wading my way through tons of paperwork to sort my entire situation out I am discovering a lot of charges from Lloyds. I still only have partial info at the moment until I have gone through everything.
    Paperwork does help, but as long as you have the account number you can still continue to make a reclaim.

On my partners credit card, it seems he was mis sold the PPI as he was self employed when he took it out, so that's approximately 48 x £11.52, which should be fairly simply to claim back (I hope).
    Does the policy state that it does not protect for self employment?
    Some will still cover, but not all, so worth checking the policy booklet details if you have these, if not you can ask them to supply them to you, free.
    It all adds up, interest as well.

What I would like to know is for quite a while now we haven't been paying off the card, but the bank has been taking payments from our current account. They have been charging every month for late payment and interest as it's way over the limit, but they never took the minimum payment amount (even though it was available), what chance do we have of claiming back/stopping the late payment charges and interest?
    I understand you can make a reclaim on the charges as well, but maybe someone who knows on the charges side of it will confirm this to you.

Going back to the reclaiming of the PPI, there is another thread for this here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

And the guidelines of reclaiming here;
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

To make a reclaim, just complete the FOS questionnaire and send this to lloyds complaints, and make sure you keep a copy as well in case you need to refer to this later on.
    They have 8 weeks in full to respond, sometimes they ask for more time and will enclose a timescale, that is fine.
    And if you can manage it, post by recorded delivery for your proof of posting.
    Please be aware these FOS questionnaires are in replacement of the first template letter, and issued by the financial ombudsman service (FOS) in order for you to make a reclaim complaint to whoever was responsible for selling the product.

You will find the FOS questionnaire on the 2nd link I posted above, further down the page as stage one.

Good luck.

Many thanks in advance for any info :)

With pleasure.:)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Big thank you for your advice :T

I have to say this forum has really helped me take a big leap into sorting things out, not just with bank charges. All help and advice is sooooo very much appreciated. As I don't see many people claiming back from Lloyds I migh start 'my story' to let people know how I get on. :D Thank you again xx
  • Just after my mum died, my dad went into his bank, the Norwich and Peterbourgh and took her death certificate in to sort out her account. They both had separate accounts in the same bank and the same branch. As my mum had suffered with alzhimers for years my dad had full control of her account anyway. They were fully aware of the situation ie. my dad had just lost his wife of 60 years.

My mums funeral was on the 9th August and a couple of weeks later he sent the funeral directors a large cheque. Unfortunately he sent a cheque from my mothers old account which did not have the funds to cover the cheque. His account of course did have enough in it, which they would have been fully aware of.

My mum and dad have banked with the Norwich and Peterbourgh for about 20 years and have gone overdrawn once by mistake which they did manage to get back. This time however when my dad spoke to the bank they are not interested.

Is there anything I can do other than send them a stinking letter telling them just how low I think they are, which they will probably just ignore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LizzyG:eek:
  • Hi,

What an awful bunch of money grabbing [email protected]*ts!!! :mad:

I would love to be able to advise you better, but a very strong letter would be a start. The best advice I can offer is that you start a new thread so your question doesn't get lost in this post, that way someone with expertise and knowledge will be able to answer you. Please do this as they are VERY helpful people on here.

Good luck xx
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    LizzyG wrote: »
    Just after my mum died, my dad went into his bank, the Norwich and Peterbourgh and took her death certificate in to sort out her account. They both had separate accounts in the same bank and the same branch. As my mum had suffered with alzhimers for years my dad had full control of her account anyway. They were fully aware of the situation ie. my dad had just lost his wife of 60 years.

My mums funeral was on the 9th August and a couple of weeks later he sent the funeral directors a large cheque. Unfortunately he sent a cheque from my mothers old account which did not have the funds to cover the cheque. His account of course did have enough in it, which they would have been fully aware of.

My mum and dad have banked with the Norwich and Peterbourgh for about 20 years and have gone overdrawn once by mistake which they did manage to get back. This time however when my dad spoke to the bank they are not interested.

Is there anything I can do other than send them a stinking letter telling them just how low I think they are, which they will probably just ignore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LizzyG:eek:

I'm sorry to hear of your mum's death.

However, it was wrong of your dad to attempt to issue a cheque from her account! :eek:
    How did he try that? Forge her signature? If he signed it as himself, the cheque should have bounced anyway. Either way what he did was wrong.

Whilst your dad may have had a power of attorney over your mum's affairs whilst she was alive, that ends on death.

Sometimes it's possible to get the bank to release funds from the deceased's account to settle their own funeral costs ... but that is only by arrangement.

Otherwise, the contents of your mothers accounts would form part of her estate to be distributed as per her will (which the exectutors are responsible for) or in the case of her dying intestate, as per the rules of probate. Letters of administration will be required before access to the funds/estate are possible.

Your dad needs to arrange settlement of the funeral director's bill and put the necessary arrangements in place to deal with his spouse's estate legally.

The N&P appear to have done nothing wrong in this matter, so I'm not sure what the beef is with them
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Your're talking about a man aged about 80 suffering from grief and shock and I think t he bank should be ashamed of itself and show some compassion. It's ok when you're young and tough (and probably quite well off) to criticise those who have just lost a life-long partner, but grief affects the memory and t he brain and you'll be lucky if you never get put in that situation. I would write to the named Chairperson of the bank if you can find out who it is and ask for their compassionate assistance. The CAB would probably deal with it for your father if he is well enough to go in, perhaps with your or a friend's help. Good luck!
  • Hi all,

Im having some trouble with Lloyds TSB atm, ive been banking with llyods tsb for over 2 years. I use to live in my overdraft, but I never went crazy and spent it all at once, until one day lloyds decided to take the interest out of my account on a different day, they usually take it out beginning of every month but for some reason they took it out the middle of the month, which made me go over drawn. Now I wasn’t aware I was overdrawn didn’t recieved no letter letting me know etc. Until I received a letter saying im overdrawn £250!! Now baring in mind I went overdrawn only a few quid, they charged me 10 days worth of bank charge of £25.00and 25.00 on top for every letter they send out. as my wages went in and bills going out and living on the overdraft I couldn’t afford to pay for the bank charge. I received another letter saying they are going to take the £250 the following month. Which they did, so I was short £250 to last me the whole month, which made me go over drawn again. So I was stuck, they piled on the £250 for the next 4 months plus interest for going over drawn!!!

Now with a help from my uncle, went into my bank and spoke with someone about it, now she agreed it was all blown out of proportion and I prove that it was them that made me over drawn, now she promise me she was going to reverse 1 month worth of bank charges and refund me the money they took out for no reason what so ever. I had to fight for the rest of the bank charges, which llyods had refunded me after 2 to 3 months fighting for it. Didn’t received no money what so ever they just removed it.
    I told lloyds I wanna close my account, but I still had 300 overdarft to pay off, so I agreed to pay it of monthly of 36.00.
    Now I felt so much better it was all sorted, but I was no were near the end, I received constant phone calls from lloyds saying I havent made no payment of 36.00 pound on the first month which I did!!, the lady on the phone said she couldn’t find that information!! After 15mins on the phone with her she found the 36.00 pound debited to lloyds account, she apologise for any inconvinient. Now she said I shouldn’t get anymore phone calls as this is arrange debit into lloyds account. I ask her to send me the copy of the agreement of monhtly payment of 36.00 and to put writing everything she said. But didn’t recieved no letter what so ever. The following month I received the same phone call regarding about not recieveing 36.00, now I didn’t kick up a fuss as I though I another computer error. But it happened every month!! So I got worried thinking where does my money go if you cant see it coming in to lloyds account. I asked them to send me the copy of the agreement but no one ever did send it to me. I received constant phone calls!! got so fed up with I stop paying it.
    When they next called me up again saying they havent recieved any payment I said I know, I wanna speak to the collection department about my account, no one wanted to speak with me, I ask the lady to get someone to call me back about my account no one ever did. I just didnt know what to do,I know I shouldn’t of stop paying it, but when u received constant phone calls, and telling you that you havent made any payment. but good thing was though I didn’t received a phone call from them for 1 month.so I thought everything is sorted as I havent heard from them. Now as months went by, I started recieveing letters after letters bank charges piling up again I was shock to see they have done it again!! When no one has bothered speaking to me or call me back. I have stuck to my part of the deal but they havent.
    I didn’t know what to do!! Then they closed my account and past it on to the debt recovery called Moorecroft, now they are threatning me with courts etc. WHAT DO I DO!! Some one please help me, this is the only debt I have.
    :(
  • Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

Im having some trouble with Lloyds TSB atm, ive been banking with llyods tsb for over 2 years. I use to live in my overdraft, but I never went crazy and spent it all at once, until one day lloyds decided to take the interest out of my account on a different day, they usually take it out beginning of every month but for some reason they took it out the middle of the month, which made me go over drawn. Now I wasn’t aware I was overdrawn didn’t recieved no letter letting me know etc. Until I received a letter saying im overdrawn £250!! Now baring in mind I went overdrawn only a few quid, they charged me 10 days worth of bank charge of £25.00and 25.00 on top for every letter they send out. as my wages went in and bills going out and living on the overdraft I couldn’t afford to pay for the bank charge. I received another letter saying they are going to take the £250 the following month. Which they did, so I was short £250 to last me the whole month, which made me go over drawn again. So I was stuck, they piled on the £250 for the next 4 months plus interest for going over drawn!!!

Now with a help from my uncle, went into my bank and spoke with someone about it, now she agreed it was all blown out of proportion and I prove that it was them that made me over drawn, now she promise me she was going to reverse 1 month worth of bank charges and refund me the money they took out for no reason what so ever. I had to fight for the rest of the bank charges, which llyods had refunded me after 2 to 3 months fighting for it. Didn’t received no money what so ever they just removed it.
    I told lloyds I wanna close my account, but I still had 300 overdarft to pay off, so I agreed to pay it of monthly of 36.00.
    Now I felt so much better it was all sorted, but I was no were near the end, I received constant phone calls from lloyds saying I havent made no payment of 36.00 pound on the first month which I did!!, the lady on the phone said she couldn’t find that information!! After 15mins on the phone with her she found the 36.00 pound debited to lloyds account, she apologise for any inconvinient. Now she said I shouldn’t get anymore phone calls as this is arrange debit into lloyds account. I ask her to send me the copy of the agreement of monhtly payment of 36.00 and to put writing everything she said. But didn’t recieved no letter what so ever. The following month I received the same phone call regarding about not recieveing 36.00, now I didn’t kick up a fuss as I though I another computer error. But it happened every month!! So I got worried thinking where does my money go if you cant see it coming in to lloyds account. I asked them to send me the copy of the agreement but no one ever did send it to me. I received constant phone calls!! got so fed up with I stop paying it.
    When they next called me up again saying they havent recieved any payment I said I know, I wanna speak to the collection department about my account, no one wanted to speak with me, I ask the lady to get someone to call me back about my account no one ever did. I just didnt know what to do,I know I shouldn’t of stop paying it, but when u received constant phone calls, and telling you that you havent made any payment. but good thing was though I didn’t received a phone call from them for 1 month.so I thought everything is sorted as I havent heard from them. Now as months went by, I started recieveing letters after letters bank charges piling up again I was shock to see they have done it again!! When no one has bothered speaking to me or call me back. I have stuck to my part of the deal but they havent.
    I didn’t know what to do!! Then they closed my account and past it on to the debt recovery called Moorecroft, now they are threatning me with courts etc. WHAT DO I DO!! Some one please help me, this is the only debt I have.
    :(
    Hi Bubblegum86, and welcome to MSE :hello:

First off, find out from the bank why the date of collection of the interest changed.

Notwithstanding that, the bank can call in an overdraft at any time (on demand) and that appears to be what they did, after giving you notice of their intent.

Any refund of bank charges will usually go first to pay off any existing debt, although in this case it's not clear if a refund as such was made, just the account returned to the position it would have been in had the apparent error not occurrred.

When the £36 payment got lost for a second month, you should have complained again. Debts don't just disappear or resolve themselves usually - it sounds like the payment was going to the wrong account (or even a suspense account). The bank will only know that if you tell them you paid. Ignoring them would probably have been taken as an indication that you didn't pay ... and you were too embaressed to admit it.

Stopping payment altogether later was another mistake (as you accept). Debts don't just disappear and generally grow if you don't pay up.

When someone failed to return your call, just a thought, but perhaps you could have tried calling them??? :cool:

How did you stick to your part of the deal? :huh: You stopped payments for months!

What to do now? Arrange to pay back what you owe. They may not be very amenable to any payment plans; you've agreed to these before and failed to keep to them, but worth asking anyway.
    Otherwise, get your suit cleaned and pressed, as you may need it shortly ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides