Should I refund for this?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
17 replies 662 views
SybariteSybarite Forumite
401 Posts
Bit of an odd one this.

Buyer bought an item via from me at the end of last week (under £5 btw).

I usually check the address with the buyer via email before dispatching & notify them of a dispatch time at the same time.

In this instance there was a slight delay before posting, 3 working days from the date of payment. The buyer was emailed, informed of the delay & I apologized as I try to treat people with a great deal of respect when I take their money.

They have now contacted me & demanded their money back (1 & 1/2 days after posting) as I've breached their 'statutory rights' by not dispatching when I initially stated, irrespective of the fact the item is in the postal system & will probably arrive tomorrow (I suspect they want the item and the refund btw)

They're going to try and insist, I can tell by their emails & I can't quite believe they're being so huffy about it all.

What do I do? I don't really want a negs I have positive feedback of several hundred. They have + feedback but I now notice have several changes of identity.

Suggestions appreciated?
I do hope you're telling the truth?

Replies

• satutory right i dont think would apply in this case i mean seriously its a day or too late and im sure companies have 30 days regardless of what they say to get the goods too u
    either way its a private sale so i dont think statutory rights dont come into it?
    tell um to go jump if they give bad feedback just reply saying unreasonable buyer, due to emergency posted a day or two late, buyer well informed in time
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • vulturavultura Forumite
    475 Posts
    Statutory rights, hahahahah.....

Its up to you what you do, if you are so keen to keep 100% feedback then refund them and let them keep the item, then block them in your bidders list.

I seriously doubt that any potential buyer will be swayed by 1 negative comment out of several hundred.
  • I can't quite get my head round it, low value item, well packed (I don't skimp) couple of emails & confirmation, proof of postage, what more could you want?

Bit dumbfounded really.
  • ^some people are stupid, theres just no other explanation! theres no explaining human behaviour
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • Forgot to ask, does Ebay have a stated postage time limit, say within 7 days of payment being received something of that nature?
    475 Posts
    Sybarite wrote:
    I can't quite get my head round it, low value item, well packed (I don't skimp) couple of emails & confirmation, proof of postage, what more could you want?

Bit dumbfounded really.

I wouldn't.

Some people are never happy. Have sold items myself and then had buyers complain that I ripped them off, which is something I would not do, as I hate people doing that to me.

Maybe they just had a bad day at work or whatever......
    475 Posts
    Sybarite wrote:
    Forgot to ask, does Ebay have a stated postage time limit, say within 7 days of payment being received something of that nature?

Not that I am aware of. Some sellers do state in listings when/how they will send items.

I personally always state that I only post items normally a couple of times per week and this may cause a slight delay after payment is received. As a buyer I would normally expect to receive an item within 10 days of auction end, unless the listing stated otherwise.
  • Ummm, think I might wait until tomorrow to reply, I feel my usual level of politeness might be compromised.

I typically state in auctions that I aim to dispatch within 1-2 days, email confirmation in this case said dispatch within 2 days - I was 1 day late (shock) which makes me wish I hadn't bothered informing them. It's what you get for trying to be a nice guy I suppose.
    475 Posts
    It might be that they will receive the item, be happy with and forget all about their complaint. Personally I would wait and day or two to see if they get in touch first.
  • SybariteSybarite Forumite
    401 Posts
    Thanks, might be best, although given the nature of the emails, I somehow doubt it - you might 'politely request in view of slight delay etc' 'I demand & statutory rights' at the outset doesn't send the message of a relaxed demeanor.

& all for a fiver (sigh)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Autumn Budget 2021:

Cuts to alcohol & air passenger duties

MSE News

Free Wills Month

For those aged 55+

MSE Guides