August 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 July 2010 at 1:14AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 72.9K views

Replies

• HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Welcome to all the newbies :wave:

So many of you are doing well this month - well done :T

I'm not one of them, but well done to everyone, who, like me, isn't having the best of month's, but is still trying :T

Just £1.10 spent today on some milk, so my total so far is £148.39 out of £275
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    I was thinking tomorrow about making rumbledythumps for dinner to use up all the bits in my fridge. Here it is for anyone who has things to use up :)

Potatoes cubed, par boiled
    Cabbage/Kale/Spring greens finely chopped
    Onion finely sliced
    Grated cheese
    Bacon finely chopped fried

Fry the bacon until it's almost cooked, add the onion and soften, add the cubed potato and fry to crisp up, finally add the greens to wilt then mix in the grated cheese :)

Enjoy xxx
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Hi everyone,

not been about for ages or even had chance to read any of the posts.
    Unfortunately due to overwhelming work load and commitments I am not going to be able to continue for the rest of this month plus should be away the first week of Sept. I hope to be back on board with you again from around the 12th Sept and will hopefully get back into the challenge.

Wishing everyone the best of luck and happy savings. See you all soon.

BJ x
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • wssla00 wrote: »
    I was thinking tomorrow about making rumbledythumps for dinner to use up all the bits in my fridge. Here it is for anyone who has things to use up :)

Potatoes cubed, par boiled
    Cabbage/Kale/Spring greens finely chopped
    Onion finely sliced
    Grated cheese
    Bacon finely chopped fried

Fry the bacon until it's almost cooked, add the onion and soften, add the cubed potato and fry to crisp up, finally add the greens to wilt then mix in the grated cheese :)

Enjoy xxx

Mmmmm - that sounds nummy wssla00 :) does it matter what quantities you use of each?....I'm not a lot of good at guessing. Some people are a chuck-it-in-and-see type cook, but I'm not one of them - I'm hopeless without a recipe, especially when it comes to quantities of ingredients :o

Could you give me a rough idea of what amounts you use please? :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    744 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    been trying to use up stuff from cupboard not doing too bad although i'm not so happy about the amount of stuff that out of date it doesn't bother me so much except anything with milk in but kids think different if it just veg beans or spag in tins dates going back to sept 09 they should be ok ? any help on this would be good don't normaly get so behind on checking stores my migraines have been stopping me for days at a time must try to check more often or just wait til cupboard empty and start again ready for winter anyhow small spend bread milk £2.50 plus bacon for my son £3.60=£6.10 will add to my total tomorrow as we will need more milk and bread again My daughter kindly gave us bread and milk when i looked after my granddaughters eldest one (9 )started calling me carrot granny all because she counted 15 tins of carrots still in date and a few more just out of date which i said will be in my tum soon she was not impressed (didn't tell her about the carrots in the freezer or the other cupboard what can i say i love carrots and with a bit of gravy and mash make a quick cheap meal when its just me hopefully by sorting cupboard i might just make it this month I've also made 2 hampers for my daughters friend she moved house today made a food box and a non food box with a 5yr old and a 2yr old she won't feel like shopping for a day or to it will just get her started and she was a star on my daughters Wedding Day in june she did her hair and make up she looked beautiful so it was my way of saying thank you
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • edited 13 August 2010 at 10:57PM
    MadamMim2013MadamMim2013 Forumite
    845 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 13 August 2010 at 10:57PM
    :jYippie, have managed 4 NSD's so far this week & hoping tomorrow will be one as well....

Made a carrot/veggie soup with the extras in the fridge, it didn't taste like I hoped it would but our dog loved it!:rotfl:

Keep up the good work all :T
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Mmmmm - that sounds nummy wssla00 :) does it matter what quantities you use of each?....I'm not a lot of good at guessing. Some people are a chuck-it-in-and-see type cook, but I'm not one of them - I'm hopeless without a recipe, especially when it comes to quantities of ingredients :o

Could you give me a rough idea of what amounts you use please? :)

Hello :)

I usually use 2 pots, a quarter of a cabbage 2 pieces of streaky half an onion and a good handful of grated cheese for two portions :)

I am definitely a chuck it in and see type of cook! :rotfl:
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • muffin_man_7muffin_man_7 Forumite
    744 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    gdyr1945 as you are already making a picnic why not make a flask of coffee at least it will taste like coffee or what we used to do not every one likes coffee so wed take 2 or 3 2litre flaskes( more than 6 of us at that time) filled with boiling water and the individual coffee sachets and tea bags it was much cheaper i saved more than the cost of the stainless steel flaskes in 1 summer if you only need say 1or2 drinks sometimes you can get the smaller ones in £land inside of one i got was plastic but much better than the old glass ones you might hurt your toes if you drop it but it won't smash and we still got to have our drinks. Mrsgibb1503 thanks for the reminder another reason i get tins carrots is i use them to make a quick soup i really don't like ready made soups yuk
    2nd purse challenge no040£0 Sealed pot challenge ???? £2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Morninggggg Everyone,

What a miserable day. Our trip to the park has been cancelled because of the rain :mad::(
    Today is deffo a SPEND DAY, not that I am happy about it!
    Also, I cheated last night.. and we ordered Dominos, I keep telling myself it was only because any pizza was 10 pounds! Deep down I know there was no need, as we had a big meal but oh well, at least hubby went to bed happy lolol. Down to 3 NSD :(:eek:.
    Made a lovely macarroni cheese last night, I added some streaky bacon i had in the fridge.. YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYY. It was such a massive dish, I have frozen 2 portions YIPPEEEEE :D
    Also froze the whole batch of pancakes my hubby made yesterday.
    And I have a portion of prawn curry, pork goulash and chicken cassarole in the freezer as well :j
    That should bring my food shopping down next wednesday.
    I am actually excited about going shopping next week just to see how much I am going to save.
    Thats it for me. We are going to the aqua park today and tomorrow!! Its the kids favourite activity anyway and costs less than a tenner for the 4 of us.
    I hope you all have a lovely Saturdayyyy xx
    LB
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hello All,

And welcome to the newbies. :wave: You are all doing so well, keep up the excellent work.

This is just a quick update. I'm not sure that I posted a couple of small spends on Wednesday but they are included in the updated signature. Hoping for another NSD today.

Happy birthday russetred :bdaycake:

So, almost at the big 50 - only a few more days left in my forties. Can't decide how I feel about it.

I'm expecting a lot of spends this week - out for meal with family on the day itself and then party with friends next Saturday. DD is taking OH shopping on Friday.

Also hugely busy week too as my best mate is moving on Tuesday - finally she will live in the same town as the rest of us :T - and I will be with her all day to do whatever she needs. Got other stuff on too but seem to be a bit brain dead this morning. :o

OK, keep up the fantastic work all, you are truly inspiring.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T