»

Blue Badge 'police' - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Blue Badge 'police'

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Disability Money Matters
512 replies 38.8K views

Replies

• junojuno
    6.6K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    daska wrote: »
    Maybe all disabled people should be legally obliged to wear the official 'disabled' icon stitched onto our jackets.
    Don't be silly.

Disabled people should not be allowed out!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• lynicedlyniced
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    I have had abuse at using my badge too, to the point that I couldn't bring myself to renew when the date was running out.

I don't bother going out of the house much these days.

I'm really sorry to hear that.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • edited 3 August 2010 at 4:36PM
    lynicedlyniced
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    edited 3 August 2010 at 4:36PM
    juno wrote: »
    Don't be silly.

Disabled people should not be allowed out!

Yes, we should be locked up for our own good!!!!
  • DKLSDKLS
    13.5K posts
    Forumite
    I have had a few encounters when I have had my mum in the car, usually its at the supermarket that attracts the most attention.

I loud "wind yer neck in" or "mind your own business" usually does the trick, I never justify myself at all, I dont care if my old lady looks disabled or not, any one who thinks they are free to comment bring it on.

I am more than happy to vent my spleen in their direction.
  • jennihenjennihen
    6.5K posts
    Forumite
    lyniced wrote: »
    Yes, we should be locked up for our own good!!!!

The only abuse I've ever received has been from other BB holders who like to indulge in 'my disability is worse than yours' in supermarket carparks.
    One life.
  • i have had this problem loads of times, sadly usually from elderly people which shocks me and makes me annoyed as i spent years and years caring for the elderly before i got ill and found them all lovely people and i missed them greatly when i left. i honestly never thought i would ever find myself being verbally abused by them. everyone will get old someday and i hope i dont turn into an old bat!

my nana would have never of been so rude to someone
  • lynicedlyniced
    1.9K posts
    Forumite
    i have had this problem loads of times, sadly usually from elderly people which shocks me and makes me annoyed as i spent years and years caring for the elderly before i got ill and found them all lovely people and i missed them greatly when i left. i honestly never thought i would ever find myself being verbally abused by them. everyone will get old someday and i hope i dont turn into an old bat!

my nana would have never of been so rude to someone

Yes, true, we will all be old one day, D.V.
  • I don't think age comes into it. So many people on buses don't give up their seats to elderly (and disabled) people these days that seeing a young person not offering his seat it would be far more likely to assume thoughtlessness rather than disability.

Anyway, it's a free world and anybody can make a comment to a friend - it's hardly abuse.

Guess how many elderly people have ever given up their seat for me when I board a bus? Give up? It's zero. Young people do it all the time but never the elderly. They always have a good moan if I'm already in a disabled seat when they get on, a couple of elderly people have even asked if they can have the seat. Guess what I said? Yes of course! All you have to do is ask.

I'll tell you what's the worst - when they jog for the bus then limp about and moan the disabled seat is taken. Whatever.

And it is definite ageism that older people think they have more of a right than younger people - disabled or not.
    Only 3% of those registered blind in the UK have zero vision.
  • DCFC79DCFC79
    37.9K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 25000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    simpywimpy wrote: »
    This happened to my son who is 24. He hadnt even got out of the car before a woman with an elderly passenger started ranting at him that she needed the space. My son does have a disability but she judged him from the head only. She even had the cheek to take his registration number and threatened to report him.

She tried to get him to explain to her what was wrong with him to which he replied it was nothing to do with her in the end he gave her a mouthful and she left. He shouldnt have to resort to that though but people are so judgemental.

well i think your son did right, he was right in that its nothing to do with her,
  • LilacPixieLilacPixie
    8.1K posts
    Forumite
    I have had a few encounters. Worse one is when they come over and rant and rave when i have my young kids in the car. It has always been members of the older generation that has had something to say. I really don't understand why unless its ageism. I pull into a space, blue badge on dashboard and rather than wait to see if i hop out the car and sprint away without a care in the world they come over to the drivers window with lots of lip. I actually saw one guy hav a go at the driver parked next to me until the drive opened his door displaying no legs. It was obvious that driver had a chair in the back seat I could see it clearly from the next bay but the old geezer just had to get his mouth in gear.

That being said in ASDA a few weeks back I stepped out of the car and before i could get my stick my leg spasmed, an old guy came over removed it from the back seat for me and helped me sit down in the car again the offered to go get me a cup of tea or a cold drink. I actually thought that was very nice
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms