Edible Xmas gifts that can be made well in advance.....

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
665 replies 102.6K views

Replies

• kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    SmlSave wrote: »
    Hi everyone :)

I've reboiled my jam and it still hasn't set but it is scrummy :) I'm sure people won't mind loose strawberry jam.

My lemonbalm gin knocks your socks off! :D the tayberry gin has been joined by raspberry vodka and rhubard vodka which are all nice pink colours and need to be strained this weekend.

I'm thinking I need to get hold of some small bottles to be able to given them as gifts and as such all my family and work collegues are letting me have any they have.

I've also got some raspberry vinegar on the go - can't wait to taste it!

How do you do your raspberry vodka? Do you just pop the raspberries in the bottles with the vodka or do you use some sweets?

And i found the easiest way to get the small bottles is get some mini bottles of wine :D Asda are doing 5 for £4 at the mo i think drink the wine use the bottles sorted!!:D
  • kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    can someone direct me to a really simple how to make jam, i'm getting married in December and to skint to spend £50 on every parent and grandparent then you have the brothers and the girlfriends blah blah blah

found some goregous bags http://www.islepac.co.uk/gift-packaging/jute-two-window-mini-bags.html which are really cheap but look posh so will give them those and them make them all button hearts haha

help help help! :) x

Thanks for that link that is great just what i have been looking for.

This is a good recipe http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/8068/easy-strawberry-jam.aspx just buy jam sugar as you don't need the pectin.

There are some good recipes on that site. But like some one else said there is a recipe on the back of jam sugar.

General rule equal quantities of sugar and fruit a squeeze of lemon juice and just enough water to cover the fruit. And with Strawberry jam, i always make my fruit the way i like it in my jam i.e lumpy :D

Hope that helps
  • thanks for the emails i bought 36 jars with lids, 50 stickers and 20 bags for £50 so that works out £3.30 per family not including the jam should look good though i cant afford to spend £20 per friend so they shall get some jams a oyster shell candle which i will make and a cute button heart thing :)

i'm buying there dresses and suits for my wedding the week before so they should be greatful haha x
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all I enjoyed reading the latest posts on here and seeing what everyone is up to.

Have any of you ever made uncooked chutney? I've got a recipe and wondered what it comes out like?
  • SmlSaveSmlSave Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you do your raspberry vodka? Do you just pop the raspberries in the bottles with the vodka or do you use some sweets?

Hi kms :) I fill up a sterlised jar with fruit, cover with sugar and then add the vodka. Its gets shaken almost everyday for 3 weeks and then strained and stored. The fruit gets made into a pie. hic :D

No idea bout uncooked chutney Angela, sorry.
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    SmlSave wrote: »
    Hi kms :) I fill up a sterlised jar with fruit, cover with sugar and then add the vodka. Its gets shaken almost everyday for 3 weeks and then strained and stored. The fruit gets made into a pie. hic :D

No idea bout uncooked chutney Angela, sorry.

I will be trying that i think thanks very much :T
  • tinksytinksy Forumite
    557 Posts
    well im well on my way with the jam making - this weekend i have made 6 jars of strawberry, 3 jars of strawberry and raspberry and 2 jars of strawberry and vodka!!!

i'm after a good lemon curd recipie to make and my mum has suggested i use marmade to make some festive marmalade as im a bit late!

x
    Crafting for 2009 items done
    One patchwork blanket, two neck supports, one tea cosy, one knitted bunny, one knitted egg!
  • how do you make vodka jam and how long does it last for? xx
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Why not make some seville marmalade? I made some of this from the tins of prepared seville oranges you get by the jams in the supermarkets for £1.99. I made about ten jars from that and a bag of sugar. Supposedly it's very nice but I don't know as I don't like marmalade!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • tinksytinksy Forumite
    557 Posts
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Why not make some seville marmalade? I made some of this from the tins of prepared seville oranges you get by the jams in the supermarkets for £1.99. I made about ten jars from that and a bag of sugar. Supposedly it's very nice but I don't know as I don't like marmalade!

thats the marmade stuff i think my mum has said i should try! im going to do that and then try adding in things like whisky or cranberries etc. glad to hear it makes loads. The best jam recipie I have tried is the one on the back of the jam sugar packet - works a treat!
    Crafting for 2009 items done
    One patchwork blanket, two neck supports, one tea cosy, one knitted bunny, one knitted egg!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News