IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Save on MOT Bills
221 replies 152.8K views
This thread has been replaced by the full new guide
Which includes an updated comprehensive list of Council MOT centres
If you want to avoid unnecessary repair bills come next MOT time, stop taking your car to be tested by a garage. My car is 17 years old, with 178000 miles on the clock, but it hasn't failed an MOT in the seven years since I've been getting it tested by the county council! The point is that they don't repair vehicles for the public, only test them, so there's no financial incentive for them to fail the test unless it's genuinely warranted.
(PS. If you're already using the council's VTS and the car's still failing, buy a Honda! !;D)
INSERT BY MARTIN 6 May: MoneySaver Bambie Blou has kindly collated all the council MOT centres people suggested later on in this thread (huge thanks). !To make it easier I am reprinting it here at the top
Government MOT test centres open to the public:
- WYMAS (West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service)
- Essex County Council, Coval Lane, Chelmsford – 01245 435108
- Morpeth, Northumberland, www.northumberland.gov.uk/drftp/2808.asp.
- Factory Lane, Croydon, Surrey.
- Banbury, Oxfordshire – search under MOT on the Cherwell DC website.
- [possibly…] Ambulance Station near Magic Roundabout, Swindon
- County Transport, Ripley Road, Ambergate, Derbyshire, DE56 2ER – 01773 856667
- County Transport, Brimington Road North, Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S41 9BE – 01246 450705
- County Transport, Halstead Garage, Dove Holes, Buxton, Derbyshire, SK17 8BJ – 01298 813141
- Near Wetherby just outside Thorpe Arch trading estate between York and Leeds
- GMAS (Greater Manchester Ambulance Service), Walmsley Road, Bury Station.
- Bedfordshire County Council Vehicle Depot, London Road, Bedford – 01234 327369 (now privatised and run by Balfour Beatty Plant Services but the staff are unchanged)
- Thamesdown Bus Garage, Corporation Street, Swindon. ·Medway Council – 01634 306000
- Westside Motors at the junction of Lanark Road and Inglis Green Road, EH13, Scotland (not CC but apparently v. honest and fair)
- Edinburgh City Council, CEC Fleet Services, Gorgie, Russell Road – 0131 337 2307 (choose option 1 for their workshops) OR City Fleet Services, 38 Russell Road, Edinburgh – 0131 347 1950 …….which one is it guys?
- Wandsworth Council, South London – 0208 871 6761
- Colchester Borough Council, MOT Testing & Vehicle Servicing, Unit 8 Westside Centre, London Road, Stanway, Colchester, CO3 8PH – 01206 282624
- The bus depot in Plymouth
- Inverurie, Aberdeen – 01467 627538 (Alistair Smith)
- Mintlaw, Aberdeen – 01771 623197 (Robert Bruce) www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/web/residents.nsf/html/5AZKPF?OpenDocument
- Inverurie, Aberdeen – 01569 763274 (Dave Adie) www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/web/residents.nsf/html/5AZKPF?OpenDocument
- Nottinghamshire County Council, Rolleston Drive Workshops, Arnold, Nottingham, NG5 7JE – 0115 956 7420
- St. Helen's, Merseyside www.sthelens.gov.uk/council/services/councilservices.nsf/All/95FE28C11AC C80256CC900550FF7?opendocument&highlight=mot,testing
- North London, there is on in Enfield- Carterhatch lane
For further information scroll down the following thread and you will see the original post made about each area
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides