Edible Xmas gifts that can be made well in advance.....

Replies

• anna_p86anna_p86 Forumite
    83 Posts
    elainem10 wrote: »
    How long do chutneys/jams last for? I found a recipe for a cherry tomato and sweet chilli jam that I would like to try but don't want to end up poisoning anyone.
    Well to give you an idea, we're still eating a plum chutney made a year and a half ago (my boyfriend's mother makes a lot!).

I made this chutney last year (first chutney I've ever made!) and it's very easy: bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2646/classic-apple-chutney

I don't think they're hard really, just take a bit of time.
  • Can I join please!
    I am hoping to have an organised and money saving Christmas this year!

The chutney recipe looks gorgeous, will be giving that a try.

I did make a strawberry jam this week, I nearly threw them out as they were going a little soft, I'm so glad I didn't, the Jam is gorgeous!
  • tinksytinksy Forumite
    557 Posts
    hi can i join in with this one please! i'm making alot of hampers this year and decided to make the goodies inside! I'm making some cream tea hampers for people some mix of goodies and all sorts! so far I have rhubarb and ginger jam, three types of chutney and about to make cherry jam this week and hopefully strawberry jam and a little mango chutney!
    Crafting for 2009 items done
    One patchwork blanket, two neck supports, one tea cosy, one knitted bunny, one knitted egg!
  • stokegalstokegal Forumite
    925 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Can I join too please.... not content with making nappy cakes, sock monkeys, cross stitching gift tags or hand making christmas card I've now decided to make home made hampers complete with jams / chutney :)

Do you need to have special pans or thermometers? I'm a complete foodie novice - I literally burn water, lol
    LBM - Oct 2020 - £37500
    Currently - £8409
    77% cleared!
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    babyshoes wrote: »
    Jams are surprisingly easy and you could go to a 'pick your own' farm to get the fruit.
    Candied orange/lemon peel - make now, store in airtight container and dip into chocolate closer to the time.
    'Canned' Fruit / veg.
    Fruit / elderflower cordial
    What about making cookie dough and freezing it formed into shape on wax paper? Just need to bake them the day before.
    Mince pies would probably freeze un-cooked, again to bake the day before so they are fresh.
    Dry 'mixes' would probably last well enough.

Hmmmm, what else..... fudge, toffee, honeycomb, chocolatey things etc might go funny especially if it stays hot, best to do those just beforehand.

You've got some good ideas about freezing cookie dough or uncooked mince pies for Christmas, I've never considered doing that.

I wouldn't mind making doing this with gingerbread so at the last moment it can be cooked, and decorated with icing and a hole put in each biscuit, so they can be edible ornaments.
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just remembered about this recipe (also from MSE) - cheat's Ferrero Rocher

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=28399439&postcount=355
  • Winged_oneWinged_one Forumite
    610 Posts
    I have been gathering supplies for a few chocolates - which I'll make much closer to Christmas. But I finally have proper moulds this year (not just rolling truffles - but they're good too!!). And I found a bottle of Honey Rum from the Canaries, that I don't think we are ever going to drink - that I will put with fresh cherries this week to preserve them (and then put the cherries into the middle of chocs in Dec - or perhaps late Nov for those).

I have jars of green tomato chutney from 4 years ago which are still great (serious glut that year). This year, I am planning on onion marmalade, chilli jam, and apple chutney. I also usually put a few alcoholic beverages aside in season - raspberries in vodka, limoncello, sloe gin - and I am planning on chilli vodka this year, and perhaps another batch of vanilla vodka.

And I have just made redcurrant jelly, I have blackcurrants for jam, I expect to have gooseberries for jam when I go to plot later today. And I will probably get apples for jelly later in the year too, and blackberries for jam or jelly too (still using last year's blackberry and apple jam, which is a tasty combination!!).
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • RummerRummer Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ooooh this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for! My OH is into home brewing now and is making booze for xmas but I wanted to use the fruits of our garden to create gift (already made edible bouquets for people) and this could be ideal. What could I do with rhubarb as I have loads of that!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winged One - I've never heard of onion marmalade - what do you eat it with?
  • kms26kms26 Forumite
    846 Posts
    :xmastree:171 days until Christmas! Just to let you all know!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides