Council Tax/Relationship Break Up

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
1 reply 783 views
KarleyMarieKarleyMarie Forumite
268 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Cutting Tax
Hello I hope someone can help me here. (If this is the wrong place feel free to move it!)

My boyfriend has moved out today, with very little warning. We will be not be getting back together. I've sat down to try and work out my finances for the month as he's left without being up to date with his side of the bills so I'm trying to work out where I can scrimp and save.

If I call the council tax office in the morning (Monday), Any ideas will the 25% single person discount be taken off before my payment on the 4th. Or reimbursed after it comes out?

Thanks in advance
Slimming World: 1stone 11lbs lost in 11 weeks


  • CISCIS Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    It depends on the local authority, some will process applications over the phone and some wont.

    If its processed before the 16th July, and assuming the councuil bill as per the statutory minimum, then you will get a new demand notice sent out asking for payments from 1 August to 1 Jan 2011.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery but instead work as a specialist Council Tax paralegal assisting landlords and Council Tax payers with council tax disputes and valuation tribunals. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals