June 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 29 May 2010 at 1:23AM in Old Style MoneySaving
908 replies 77.5K views

Replies

• hello everyone,

newbie here!
    just in the process of drawing up a budget for the first time...it's really exciting actually lol i see it as a fun challenge.

currently, the budget for myself and my boyf is £400 p/month. We're prob spending on average about £75 p/w so not a kick in the bum off it.

I'm trying to pay off my debts and save some cash so I'm really interested to see how you guys do it. For this month (june-i get paid on the 24th, next week) I am setting our budget for £350 (41/2 weeks to allow for) as I know it is advised to take things slowly.

So we buy for breakfast, lunch and dinners for 6 days of the week, Sundays we go to our respective mothers lol

Apart from maybe El Paso Tacos/fajitas/the odd quiche...we generally make things from scratch. We buy a lot of fresh veg and seem to be spending about £25 quid on meat (incl. cooked meat for lunches etc.). Fruit and veg is around £10. We buy 2 frozen pizzas and garlic bread for saturday nite :) £10 on drinks (milk, bottled water, pure orange etc.) are these reasonable?

and the rest goes on cupboard stuff - beans, sauces, breads, soups, pasta, rice, noodles, cereals etc.

one thing i know we should eliminate is bottled water (2 six packs) but i'm convinced our tap water is unpleasant. my mum bought us one of those britta filter tank thingys but i wasn't fussed on that and the changing of water and cartridges etc. (too lazy).

we buy tesco value toilet roll and cleaning spray/toilet cleaner/rinse aid etc. but we buy branded washing powder, fabric conditioner, shampoos & conditioners, toothpastes & toothbrushes/dishwasher tablets etc.

we do meal plans but only really for dinners. our meal plan for this week was:
    vegetable jalfrezi curry with rice (from scratch)
    el paso tacos
    amatriciana pasta (from scratch)
    chicken, pancetta & spinach with potatoes
    beef stir fry with noodles
    frozen pizza & garlic bread for sat nite

i did do online shopping with tescos but ditched this after a year and a half...no reason. i'm going to go back to this so that i can keep a closer eye on my spending.

any other suggestions or tips?

thanks,

miffy
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone - did my weekly shop this morning at MrS and have updated my sig. I bought extras as I was expecting DD2 and SIL for lunch on Sunday, but they have gone down with the lurgy and won't be coming after all. She phoned to tell her Dad just after I left for the supermarket but he didn't think to call me and let me know! Never mind, the leg of lamb in the freezer will keep for another day, though I may have to go and buy a smaller joint for Sunday as MIL is still coming.

I have about £26 left till 30th, but I am not really worried as we are away from 24th-28th so it should be manageable.

Had some bad news this afternoon - DD1 who is studying abroad has not been feeling too special these last couple of days with leg pains which a local dr diagnosed as varicose veins - a bit strange as she is only 26 and not exactly immobile. This morning the pain was much worse and she also had pain in her arm and chest and was feeling vey drowsy. She took herself off to the local A&E where they put her on a drip and are keeping her in overnight for tests. It's horrible when they are so far away (she's in Austria) and I am worried about her. We are supposed to be flying out to meet her next weekend and bring home some of her stuff, so at least I haven't got long to wait before giving her a hug! Kids eh! they are just as much of a worry now as when they were babies!

Sorry for the long post. Keep up the good work everyone.

Moniker
  • HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Most of my spend over the last couple of days has been for ingredients for DD1's fundraising day at work. I agreed to make and donate 120 "posh" cupcakes which I did yesterday and the ingredients cost me £26 - however there was method in my madness as I sent a load of cake boxes to pack them in and each one I wrote "Jane's cakes" and my mobile number -the fundraiser was today and already I have 3 confirmed orders and 3 enquiries for special occasion cakes:j

:T Well done you - I like your style recovering spendaholic :)

Welcome miffythesmartbunny :)

I would definitely go back to online shopping - it's saved me a fortune. I do also physically go shopping too, but I always work out roughly what it's going to cost and only take that amount out with me, that makes impulse buying impossible :D I have my debit card with me just in case I've miscalculated or there is an offer too good to miss. but I'm very strict on that, and those are the only times it gets used.

Another big saver as advocated on here, is to drop a brand on one or two items, try a cheaper alternative and see what you think. Sometimes you'll have success, sometimes you wont, but it will save you money if you can/do find a few items to do this with :)

As a family of four, I always seemed to be buying loo rolls, washing up liquid and liquid hand soap and three of the simplest but effective tips I've learned from here are:-

Squash your loo rolls before putting them on the holder - prevents children (and adults - my household can all be classed as adults) pulling reams and reams of paper off each time they go to the loo.

When you get a new bottle of washing up liquid, decant it into and old rinsed out liquid soap dispenser bottle - two pumps is plenty for a sink full of washing up and stops the using 'half-a-bottle' malarky that my OH used to think was needed to wash up properly!

Use bubble bath to refill your other liquid soap dispensers when they run out. Any big bottle of Boot$ or supermarket own brand of bubble bath is about 80p-£1 (contains the same ingredients as liquid soap apparently) and lasts forever at a fraction of the price of a new liquid soap

Right - I had a delivery from A$da today of £56.36 making my total so far this month £215.49, which is far from great when we still have 2 weeks of the month left, but it is better than I used to be AND I sat down today and planned my menus for the next month :D so that should help - I'm talking evening meals only here, not breakfast and lunch.

I did this last month (am now eating week 4 of my current 4 week planner) and I'm sure it has helped - not only money wise, it's been great getting up every day and not having to wonder what to have for tea 'cos it's already planned :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • HippeechiqHippeechiq Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Moniker wrote: »

Had some bad news this afternoon - DD1 who is studying abroad has not been feeling too special these last couple of days with leg pains which a local dr diagnosed as varicose veins - a bit strange as she is only 26 and not exactly immobile. This morning the pain was much worse and she also had pain in her arm and chest and was feeling vey drowsy. She took herself off to the local A&E where they put her on a drip and are keeping her in overnight for tests. It's horrible when they are so far away (she's in Austria) and I am worried about her. We are supposed to be flying out to meet her next weekend and bring home some of her stuff, so at least I haven't got long to wait before giving her a hug! Kids eh! they are just as much of a worry now as when they were babies!
    Moniker

Oh Moniker - what a worry when she's so far away. I hope you have some more positive news in the morning hun :grouphug:
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230 Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Sue14Sue14 Forumite
    987 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Another £3 spent today, making the total spend for this month so far £92.92.

Sue.
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• recovering_spendaholicrecovering_spendaholic Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moniker - hope your DD is okay - does she speak German and can she understand what they are telling her about her condition/treatment? It must be really worrying for you- I think that it gets more worrying with kids the older they get!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • £47.00 spent today:eek::eek: some of this was on ingrediants for fathers day presents:D and also a few bits to take with me to my nan tomorrow that I know she has run out of, also need some snacks to take with us for the car journey tomorrow as I know the kids will get hungry. So not to bad the rest was essentials still doing better i think compared to this time last month.

Moniker hope DD is ok I know its a worry hun so sending get well vibes your DD's way.

miffythesmartbunny check your local market you might be able to get fruit and veg cheaper there or farm shop my local farm shop also sells a wide range of other things like bottled water and they do 12 bottles for a £1.00 its worth shopping around or fill up the bottles with shops own brand water would probably be cheaper! Dish washer tablets cut them in half you make them last twice as long I only buy them when they are on offer!

We do buy persil but only because my daughter's skin flares up if I use anything else again I stock up when it is on offer.

You might be able to save money on the soup you are buying I am pressuming this is tinned/carton soup?? Cheaper to make your ownand tastes nicer;)

Shampoo and conditioner we use Asda's own.
    I would definatly go back to online shopping it is cheaper because you are less tempted by offers or that big bar of galaxy that just keeps staring at you!!:D

Of to update signature:wave:
    :jmember of the thrifty gifty 2011 :j
  • rentawitchrentawitch Forumite
    123 Posts
    I ate the last of my meat last night - I shall have to buy today.

I also have to get a birthday present but that's not groceries.
    I went to a rock concert in Poland and that was expensive. I got the flight and the ticket for free and pre-paid the hotel ages ago but I got a taxi, some food and bought tshirts while I was there spent nearly £120
    Not good :(
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and £2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge £167.40/£175

NSD challenge July 9/10
  • Good morning everyone,

Moniker: I really hope your daughter gets well soon.

Really looking forward to the weekend. Have had quite a :mad: week at work so Saturday can't come quickly enough.

Having fish supper for tea tonight as a treat.

Hope everyone has a good day.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • greentgreent Forumite
    10K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    recovering spendaholic/ Jane - well done on the cake front! What a good idea! :-)
    currently, the budget for myself and my boyf is £400 p/month. We're prob spending on average about £75 p/w so not a kick in the bum off it.

So we buy for breakfast, lunch and dinners for 6 days of the week, Sundays we go to our respective mothers lol

Apart from maybe El Paso Tacos/fajitas/the odd quiche...we generally make things from scratch. We buy a lot of fresh veg and seem to be spending about £25 quid on meat (incl. cooked meat for lunches etc.). Fruit and veg is around £10. We buy 2 frozen pizzas and garlic bread for saturday nite :) £10 on drinks (milk, bottled water, pure orange etc.) are these reasonable?

I used to buy el paso tacos/ fajitas. We have fajitas almost every Sat night now and this is what we do:

Chop and fry appropriate amount of chicken - I now use one large breast - we used to use two (I've tried making it with leftover roast chicken and neither of us liked it) in olive oil. Add crushed garlic cloves (we use about 3) or a good squeeze of garlic puree.
    Add chopped peppers and onions (quite a lot!) and a finely chopped fresh chilli (or two - depending on required heat) (Or you could use dried chilli flakes)
    Important bit - add a good splosh of cheap white wine (we buy Sains basics at £2.25ish a bottle just for fajitas, as neither of us drink white wine) It's in a screw top bottle and lasts us weeks! :D
    Stir fry until mixture is slightly blackened - wine will help with this

Pop into wraps (we have 2 each - used to have 3 each) A!di sell a pack of 8 for about 89p. (My faves are Mission Discovery ones - but I only buy those if on offer) top with desired salsa (make your own - chopped tomatoes will suffice) and soured cream/ guacamole and anything else (eg chopped raw mushrooms)

Eat and enjoy!!

Tacos - I now only buy taco shells and not a packet mix/ jar of taco sauce. EIther fill with home made chilli or (this is what we usually have....) brown mince off and add a good squeeze of tomato puree and a really good dollop of a hot sweet chilli sauce. Use this to fill taco shells and top with cheese/ salad/ salsa etc. Leftover mince mixture is good for burritos :D
    Moniker wrote: »

Had some bad news this afternoon - DD1 who is studying abroad has not been feeling too special these last couple of days with leg pains which a local dr diagnosed as varicose veins - a bit strange as she is only 26 and not exactly immobile. This morning the pain was much worse and she also had pain in her arm and chest and was feeling vey drowsy. She took herself off to the local A&E where they put her on a drip and are keeping her in overnight for tests.

Ooh - ((hugs)) Moniker - hope she feels better soon.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2021 £426.84/ £500 Decluttering 2021: 1100/1250
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Cyber Monday deals

Here’s what the Deals Team have spotted

MSE Deal

How to find cheap PCR tests

The rule change comes into force tomorrow

MSE Guide