MSE News: Sky Sports price war hope for summer

in TV MoneySaving
8 replies 2K views
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Sports fans don't just have the World Cup to look forward to, they will be toasting cheaper TV deals for top events ..."

Replies

• what joy, i have waited years for this type of news. Sky's customer service has been appalling typical of a monopoly. They will have to buck up there ideas now there is real competition. Bravo !!!!!
  • laurel01laurel01 Forumite
    25 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is confusing! Does this mean the price cuts will be passed on to current Sky subscribers? I have the Sky Sports Pack without ESPN and pay £18 per month so will my bill be reduced by at least 23% in the summer i.e. by £4.14 down to £13.86?
  • PokerladPokerlad Forumite
    407 Posts
    laurel01 wrote: »
    This is confusing! Does this mean the price cuts will be passed on to current Sky subscribers? I have the Sky Sports Pack without ESPN and pay £18 per month so will my bill be reduced by at least 23% in the summer i.e. by £4.14 down to £13.86?

No the ruling only applies to wholesale prices i.e. the price they charge Virgin or BT. Also it only appears to cover Sky Sports 1 & 2 so its unlikely they will drop the price for the whole package including 3 & 4 or there own price to customers.
  • burtocburtoc Forumite
    46 Posts
    I have just phoned up sky to cancel sky sports as there isn't much to watch during the summer and was offered the sky sports package for £3 per month for 3 months, so there are bargains to be had!
    "this money saving lark is a full time job"
  • ti1980ti1980 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I phoned up Sky for my mum asking about cancelling Sky Sports and they were going to put through the cancellation, no offer or anything. Sky Sports at £3 per month for 3 months would be great. I also asked about a Sky + box and they said it would be £60 for installation but the box would be free.
    What should I do now? Any suggestions?
  • With the greatest of respect this is a non story. We have known for some time about the appeal (and therefore the status quo ante) and nothing has drastically changed since.
    RIP independent MSE.
    Died 1st June 2012
  • I just phoned sky this morning stating that i was not going to watch Sports during the summer due to footy being on ITV & BBC, they offered it at a reduced rate for 3 months. You have to explain your reason why you wish to cancel/reduce, but heh i said my wife wanted some reduction in monthly outgoings etc etc.

They obliged straight away. so try it.

I also asked them ref this price war, and if they loose this im sure there prices will have to amend, so lets all cross our fingers and hope Sky's years of domination are finally coming to an end!!!
  • Just called to cancel sky sports due to football being finished. After complaining about no offer I have been offered no HD charge for 6 months - got to keep sports but still a good deal saving £60. Would be putting sports back on for the new football season anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides