Holiday mis-sold,where do I stand?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
12 replies 3.5K views
ronnocsronnocs Forumite
14 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
Tried to book a late deal on line with Thomas Cook approx 10 days ago departing 28th June for two weeks to Gran Canaria. Had problems paying for it (would you believe?) so had to call a number that popped up on screen.

When I did, the agent offered to book the holiday for me and I agreed, if he could match the price. As he managed to do this, I went ahead and booked.

Received confirmation through the post and on checking the details in the letter, there's a note on it to say that the accommodation I'd booked was operated by "Escapades" and is suitable for 17 - 35 year olds. I was a bit concerned as I'm 10 years too late for this and my partner is 5! I was never asked the ages of people travelling or informed of the restriction.

Rang helpdesk who stated they needed to refer the matter to their investigations team who would get in touch. I'd be grateful for any advice from MSE members for when they call me back.

Replies

• IncapuppyIncapuppy Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Are you sure it is a 'restriction' - the wording 'suitable for' does not definitely imply that.

Which accomodation is it? Have you checked any reviews and what did it say on the TC website about this accommodation?
  • edited 31 May 2010 at 5:47PM
    ferf1223ferf1223 Forumite
    8.9K Posts
    edited 31 May 2010 at 5:47PM
    It's your responsibility to be sure you're happy with the accomodation I'm afraid...how did you pick it? Did you do any research on it before booking?

I agree that this isn't a restriction, but in any event it's not down to TC to check that you're happy with the accomodation you have chosen - and in this case, had you paid for it online, you would never have even spoken to anyone from TC...so it doesn't really sound like a mis-selling thing to me - at least not based on what you have said...it sounds like you called to book a holiday you were having trouble with booking online and the agent booked it for you...it doesn't sound like you asked for advice about the options available and which might be best suited to you. It may be that they will offer to switch you somewhere else at no cost, but I would say that would be a goodwill gesture, not anything that they would be obligated to do.
    Does remembering a time that a certain degree of personal responsibility was more or less standard means that I am officially old?
  • edited 31 May 2010 at 6:55PM
    ronnocsronnocs Forumite
    14 Posts
    edited 31 May 2010 at 6:55PM
    Thanks for comments.

I booked this holiday as I know the accommodation well having stayed there 6 -7 times in the past (including similar dates to those I've booked this time). I'm happy with the accommodation I picked therefore, but it seems TC may not even let us board the flight as we're too old!

The first I heard of the age problem was on receipt of my confirmation. I've since checked 3 other companies who all sell the apartments I'd booked and none of them mention TC's Escapades rules. The confirmation actually states "Recommended maximum age of travel is 35".
  • edited 31 May 2010 at 7:06PM
    wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 May 2010 at 7:06PM
    ronnocs wrote: »
    The confirmation actually states "Recommended maximum age of travel is 35".
    That clearly is not a restriction.

Get TC to confirm that.
    ...it seems TC may not even let us board the flight as we're too old!
    How did you work that out? Have they stated that anywhere?
  • stephb34stephb34 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If its used by sunset as well as escapedes you should be alright as its not only for 17-35s but is reccommended for that age group. I don't think you would actually have been able to book this holiday if you didnt fall into this age bracket. If you have purchased a hol you cant go on then im sure TCook will just swap your hotel for you.
  • ronnocsronnocs Forumite
    14 Posts
    You guys all know your stuff!

The holiday is with Sunset and I was told earleir today when I called that we probably wouldn't be able to board the flight for this holiday.

Thanks again for advice/information.
  • stonemanstoneman Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

The holiday is with Sunset and I was told earleir today when I called that we probably wouldn't be able to board the flight for this holiday.

This has got to be a wind-up. As you have said you have stayed at this property before so there is no "restriction" on who can stay there. It is only a recommendation for a certain age group.(I hate to have to keep stating the case of the bleeding obvious) One year we booked a holiday through 18-30 and I was 35, at no point was I ever asked my age
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Who told you that? Find that vey hard to believe and others have said it is a recomendation and not a restriction.

I really dont see that you were missold

Why not post the name of the accomodation for others to check
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you still want to go, or looking for way to cancel/change.

Boarding:- the flight will be used by various operators, and direct bookings- so can't see why you would be refused boarding.

Accomodation , again likely to be happy with anyone, just "may" find if operator puts on activities, they might query your inclusion ( pub crawl with games? )
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • stephb34stephb34 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    stoneman wrote: »
    This has got to be a wind-up. As you have said you have stayed at this property before so there is no "restriction" on who can stay there. It is only a recommendation for a certain age group.(I hate to have to keep stating the case of the bleeding obvious) One year we booked a holiday through 18-30 and I was 35, at no point was I ever asked my age

Thats because 18-30 is the name of the company, the actual ages of travellers with this company is 17-35 and years ago there were no restrictions anyone could go on one of these. I think the reason they enforced the age restrictions is because a lot of oaps were buying these holidays cause they were cheap then complaining about the rowdiness etc, etc of the youngsters and the basicness of the accommodation.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides