New Post Advanced Search

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

edited 14 May 2019 at 10:52AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 1.2M views

Replies

• septemberbluesseptemberblues Forumite
    838 posts
    ✭✭✭
    I started at Weightwatchers last Wednesday (1st weigh in tomorrow eek), and I have been buying the ww ready meals at £1 a packet, as they seem to be an easy way to eat. But I know they are full of salt etc, so I have decided to cook up my own little meals and put them in the freezer,so that there is always a meal for me (that is low in points). I was going to go to Wilco's tomorrow and buy some of their silver foil boxes and put the food in them, then freeze.

I was talking to my mother, who said, don't buy the metal boxes, use the old ww food trays, because this would save money AND will be good for portions (I'm quite likely to eat loads otherwise!). So I have just taken some out of the recylcing bin, I'll give them a good scrub and cook some stuff up tomorrow.

But I still have to find a lid, was going to use silver foil and then put in freezer, anyone got a better idea :D ?
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • ginnyknitginnyknit Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got a whoopsie stew pack of veg last week and couldn't be bothered cooking the swede for hours so I microwved it for 5 mins then chopped it up and it cooked perfectly with the carrots.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • edited 5 May 2010 at 7:46AM
    EenymeenyEenymeeny Forumite
    2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 May 2010 at 7:46AM
    I started at Weightwatchers last Wednesday (1st weigh in tomorrow eek), and I have been buying the ww ready meals at £1 a packet, as they seem to be an easy way to eat. But I know they are full of salt etc, so I have decided to cook up my own little meals and put them in the freezer,so that there is always a meal for me (that is low in points). I was going to go to Wilco's tomorrow and buy some of their silver foil boxes and put the food in them, then freeze.

I was talking to my mother, who said, don't buy the metal boxes, use the old ww food trays, because this would save money AND will be good for portions (I'm quite likely to eat loads otherwise!). So I have just taken some out of the recylcing bin, I'll give them a good scrub and cook some stuff up tomorrow.

But I still have to find a lid, was going to use silver foil and then put in freezer, anyone got a better idea :D ?
    Pity you didn't keep the boxes from the old takeaway days:p You can buy a pack of them (about 10 I think) from the pound shops and use them over and over again. They are microwave-friendly too. I reckon one filled (part curry, spagbol, etc topped up with rice or pasta) makes a reasonable size meal for one?:)
    I add fresh veg seperately to make a more healthy option and more filling!
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    :A:beer:
    Please and Thank You are the magic words;)
  • lauren_1lauren_1 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    gem68 wrote: »
    Lauren-1,ooooh,please tell us about your beauty products!

Ok
    Lavender toner (3 drops of lavender oil, 10ml of water and a tiny amount of vodka or milk to emulsify *vodka not for dry skin
    Rosewater toner
    cuecumber toner
    mint toner
    Hot water and honey wash

Coconut oil and avacado whip (for hair and skin, beat 2 egg yolks, beat in 3 over riped mashed avacado's and blend in a good dollops of slightly melted coconut oil, i find a stick blender works a treat)

^ can add some salt for a exfoliator

*Papaya and oat mask, blend over ripe papaya and oats, add a little olive oil or honey to get the right consistancy * can use a banana or cuecumber flesh too, different fruits are catered to different skin

lavender oil, excellent for soothing and for sunburn, lavender oil and tea tree oil can be used neat on the skin but adding a few drops to oil makes it easier. put on before bed time

this is just a few
    2.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also have a look on the health and beauty board and look for the oil cleansing method, any base oils can be used but castor needs to be added to another oil as it can dry skin. Its all natural and the oil wont clog your pores as much as shop bought junk, doubles as moisturiser too.

Skin scrubs can be made from basic sugar/salt and oil, add a few drops of essential oil.
  • zoelb_2zoelb_2 Forumite
    54 posts
    thanks for this tip, as a tall person i find it hard getting jeans that fit, and they are usually expensive, going to buy some of this dye tommorrow, and revive my old jeans :T
    Good luck, you'll love it! It's like getting new clothes for free. Let us know how it goes... :D
    2.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    A block mascara will go further and doubles up as eye liner, savings more further still, the dirt cheapest black, blue or brown eye shadow (you know the ones that are so cheap they are useless, get a old wand, pick up a bit of vaseline or spit on it, mix with the eye shadow....viola emergency mascara) the same mix can be used for eye liner.

save boiled red cabbage water, rinse hair with it, the deeper the colour the better,gives a slight tint when light shines off it, works best for dark hair, or whizz up and entire cabbage and put the pulp on your hair for 10 mins *brunettes only again.

You can also use cabbage and beetroot to dye clothes with.
  • WinchelseaWinchelsea Forumite
    693 posts
    ✭✭
    lauren_1

About the red cabbage, beetroot etc, to dye clothes, you can use rhubarb leaves as a mordant to fix the dye.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but I was talking to a spinner/dyer at a craft show, and that's what she told me.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    2.1K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont have any rhubarb growing yet, but when i do what do you do with the leaves?
  • septemberbluesseptemberblues Forumite
    838 posts
    ✭✭✭
    lauren_1 wrote: »
    I dont have any rhubarb growing yet, but when i do what do you do with the leaves?

I think they are poisoness :eek:
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2: