52 replies 4K views

Replies

• Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rita Lloyd said:
    itis means inflammation

ITIS does mean inflammation, but the condition is called TINNITUS - with the suffix -ITUS rather than -ITIS.

The suffix -ITUS means 'to make' and trhe prefix TINN- means 'ring'. So TINNITUS literally means: 'to make ring'.
  • seanbrown86seanbrown86 Forumite
    125 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    So these white noise machines how much would one roughly set me back. Or better yet can I get one on the NHS (being a poor cash strapped student).

Cheers
    Sean
  • bluesybluesy Forumite
    3 Posts
    Been a sufferer for about 2 years now, & it ain't good!

Had an MRI scan last Wednesday, this was at the behest of the consultant who did suggest it would probably only be a 5%chance that something would be found that is repairable.

Hope they find something to fix but, I won't be holding my breath.

You have my sympathy, because it is a nightmare.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So these white noise machines how much would one roughly set me back. Or better yet can I get one on the NHS (being a poor cash strapped student).
    You could try de-tuning a radio, putting the volume low, and see if that works. It used to send my son to sleep without keeping me awake. If it doesn't work, that doesn't mean a white noise machine wouldn't work, but if it does work you've saved yourself either money or a long wait!

Definitely ask your GP for a referral to ENT / Audiology. You should find them much more supportive.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Salad_2Salad_2 Forumite
    62 Posts
    The radio noise is more or less white noise so it should be the same thing. You can also use the free audio program http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ to make some on your computer.
  • gremlingremlin Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    hi saw this advertised in this months Zest mag.

"Many sufferers of tinnitus have also found relief using a pillow speaker connected to a radio tuned off station."

just pop under your pillow - might be worth a try at £2.99.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040805173639340&moduleno=28857

j.x ;D
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
  • seanbrown86seanbrown86 Forumite
    125 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    What about those discreet (sp?) little ones you can put in your ear (like hearing aids), it'll be useful for when I'm in lectures.

Cheers
    Sean
    43.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Many sufferers of tinnitus have also found relief using a pillow speaker
    Those suffering from late night incompatible radio preferences syndrome might also find relief with a pillow speaker ... as might those of us with a sleep facility on our bedside radios who wake up when the radio switches off ... Looks like a real bargain!
  • KGKG Forumite
    333 Posts
    Somehing which hasn't been suggested here is 'ear candles'.

Okay - so I sound mad now. But ages ago, when I had problems with ears and was getting headches I used some of these and they not only helped my headaches and sore ears, but also reduced my tinnitus.

Basically the ear candle is a long, hollow tube of wax (not ear wax :P). You lie on your side and stick one end of the candle in your ear so it sticks up like a chimney. You light the other end and burn it down slowly until you reach an inch or so above your ear.

I bought a pack of these from Neals' Yard (alternative remedies shop) and got my boyfriend to supervise (don't try this on your own...). Alternatively you can pay a practitioner to do this to you, which might be a good idea the first time round.

The idea is that the candle acts like a 'chimney' and draws all the 'bad stuff' out. As my head / ear problem was probably related to problems with my sinuses the gentle sucking whcih would have been caused by the chimney effect for about 10 minutes was probably the thing that benefitted me.

But I'm no expert...

KG
    43.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't sound mad at all, KG, I have heard of ear candling as an alternative therapy and it was interesting to see a description, complete with a plausible explanation of why it might work!

Did you get long term relief or was it just temporary for you?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals