April 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 53

New Post Advanced Search

April 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 March 2010 at 3:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
897 replies 59.4K views

Replies

• Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Been to T*esco and parted with £22.04 which wasn’t a big spend as had done a meal plan and incorporated a fair bit out of the freezer. I think that doing these menu plans will be the main thing in keeping the spending down for myself at least. :)

I shall need to go to the butchers on Saturday but will just need some bacon ( supermarkets far to thin for us) and some minced beef (often looks like its well past its date in supermarket)
    Also want some Malt as going to attempt malt loaf later in the week and I think our local chemist sells it. Will let you know what its like when do it. Hopefully just need top ups of bread, fruit & veg after this:rotfl:

Simmering on the cooker is chicken and sweet corn soup using the chicken carcass from last week and a few bits of veg. Smells lovely.
    Tomorrow is h/m chicken curry so have just been cutting and portioning the chicken up brought today and have put some in the freezer again for later.

Have noticed that there is a thread on cooking something new every week and will have another look over the weekend as it appeals to me. Do any of you on here do that challenge?

Hope everyones challenge this month is going well for them.

Forgot - In T*sco they are selling 5 oranges for 50p if anyone interested.

Hello to the two new members wishing to join - have only just joined myself and doing ok so far - Good luck to you both.

Off to update signature which is looking good:T
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • trying to have a cheap month this month as no cash in bank account. spent only £46 in Tesco on Tuesday but dont actually have much food. Im away this weekend with my dad so rest of family will have to fend for themselves. There are chips etc in the freezer and husband can be quite inventive with his meals some times. Total so far this month £200!
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    ... Also want some Malt as going to attempt malt loaf later in the week and I think our local chemist sells it. Will let you know what its like when do it. ...

Hi Billie-jo,

So glad it's going well for you. I just thought I'd let you know that I had terrible trouble getting hold of malt as the chemists around here didn't sell it. I got mine in the end from the local health food shop, so if you have difficulty it's another option for you.

Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • BigMummaFBigMummaF Forumite
    4.3K posts
    wssla00 wrote: »
    ....a baked risotto for dinner (if you haven't tried baking a risotto do- its so much easier and you wont want to go back to standing over a pot stirring constantly) with chicken and mushrooms :) ....
    You don't think you can just put something like that & run, do you? Recipe please :D

CALLING ALL NEWBIES!

1. There are no start-or end days on here. You can run from when-ever you wish; pay-day to pay-day is very popular, as is calendar monthly, four-weekly, annual even. It has to work for you, so it really is your decision to make.
    2. It is also entirely your decision what you want to include in your grocery budget. I started about 18mths ago, recording everything I spent in whichever shop I'd used. Now, I've narrowed it down to just the things I need to keep the family going, like washing powder & toothpaste but not presents or tubs for the garden. Some folk include booze & others discount toiletries--again, it has to be a system that you can work with.
    3. Don't try to compare your household against another--you'll end up in such a muddle :o People have access to different shops at different times of the day & that can make a huge impact on the budget. I can only get to MrA about 3 times a year, there's no 4ldi, [email protected], cash & carry or many other wondrous Aladdin's Caves that many speak of, & I've learned to accept that I can only do the best that I can.
    4. It sounds like a PITA, but the best thing is to get yourself a notebook & pen that works :p & get into the habit of writing down every single penny that leaves your protective custody! It will amaze, astound & enlighten you to a world previously unknown...believe me when I say--it ain't pretty :eek:
    5. We've all been there, done that, bought the t-shirt AND returned it for a full refund, so don't ever think you've failed--you haven't!You're just practising & the rehearsal didn't go to plan :D

Good Luck!

Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Thanks for the tip about the Health Food shop for the malt Spiggle. Will look in there if no luck at the chemist.
    Take it you have made the Malt loaf - is it like the real thing? Probably do it on Sunday when the oven is on roasting the lamb.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • Keiss_21Keiss_21 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Thank you sooo much for your wonderful words of wisdom BigMummaF, you are a great source of inspiration and guidance, and I look forward to following your example while in Glasgow!

(my son aged 17 ... has a humongous appetite)

I have one of those burntfingers...and a keen rugby player at that...4800 calories a day (as recommended by the team dietician!!) :eek: !!!

So our monthly bills are higher than I'd like! I am trying to bring them down...and seem to managing so far this month, mainly due to meal planning 2 weeks in advance. We have even had DS1 home from Uni at times over the past month (when not at his GF's!), so I am pretty pleased so far...mind you, there is plenty of time for things to go haywire!!

Will post my spends tomorrow once I know them...see you then.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb

• edited 15 April 2010 at 6:12PM
    SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 April 2010 at 6:12PM
    Billie-jo wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip about the Health Food shop for the malt Spiggle. Will look in there if no luck at the chemist.
    Take it you have made the Malt loaf - is it like the real thing? Probably do it on Sunday when the oven is on roasting the lamb.

Yes I have made it, mine is the one in the list on first page under malt bread. I have another post somewhere on here with my views after making the recipe. I would not be a sissy and get scared of how dark the malt and black treacle make the liquid mix look and so replace all golden syrup with black treacle. I also used more fruit than the recipe called for and would do the same again possibly increasing further. I wouldn't chop all the fruit up, just a small proportion, and I would soak the fruit first probably in black tea to add some more moisture to it. Then I think it will be like soreen.

The one I did was not as moist as soreen (hence the proposed adaptations above) and more bread like in texture but it tasted spectacular especially with lovely Welsh butter on it.

Oh, by the way be very careful with the timing as it can catch easlily on the outside as fan assisted ovens weren't around in the fifties!

Let me know how it goes.

Had to pick up the cheese and my pain au raisin from Mr T today so another £5.99 spent. Sig is updated.

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    You don't think you can just put something like that & run, do you? Recipe please :D

[/LEFT]
    [/CENTER]

Ok :D

This is what I make for comfort food.

In a casserole dish, melt some butter and fry a chopped onion add some chopped garlic and really lightly fry until the onion is clear (a la normal risotto)
    add 75g of risotto per person as normal and coat in the oil and the butter onion mix
    Add about a pint of chicken stock- perhaps a pint and a bit or a pint and a bit of wine
    Add any mushrooms you have and cover the dish with the lid
    pop in the oven at about 180 degrees and bake for approx fifteen-twenty mins
    take out the oven and add cooked leftover chicken cover once again
    put back in the oven for about ten minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed.
    Finish with some parmesan!

:D or you can add whatever other ingredients you want- I also like fresh spinach and garlic- the spinach added about a couple of minutes before its ready

Enjoy :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • my teenager is constantly in the cupboards looking for food /moaning we have no food ect he is very sporty but also doing gcse and college exams i would love to hear any ideas anyone has on healthy filling snacks that are quick and cheap as he tries to only eat sweet or really salty stuff.:(main prob is wont hardly touch fruit only likes apples and keeps snapping his brace on em!!!so fussy its beyond a joke would love to hear any tips:)
    nothing thats meant for you passes you by ..;)
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    What about flapjacks? They are pretty easy to make, and the oats should fill him up a little...?
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79