April 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 25

New Post Advanced Search

April 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 March 2010 at 3:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
897 replies 59.4K views

Replies

• guccigooguccigoo Forumite
    483 posts
    :icotbaske:easter_bai was hoping to have a nsd today but realised we didnt have any stuffing or yorkshire puds (i know i should have made my own but i like the aunt bessies) any way found co-op open so £6 spent in there. tomorrow will be nsd as were over my cousins for dinner:j

happy easter everyone
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • wssla00wssla00 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Afternoon all- A NSD for me :) I did get my shopping delivered but have already counted that as when I ordered it :). Just made tropical jam using value tinned pineapple and some reduced snack mango. Absolutely delicious and I think only cost about 30p from store cupboard ingredients! Yum Yum!

Happy Easter all :)
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • can you put me down for £300. Budget was blown out of the water last month so trying harder this month but £250 doesnt seem feasible
    Grocery Challenge Feb 16 £346 /400
  • philsmumphilsmum Forumite
    149 posts
    Happy Easter everyone.:easter_ba
    Please would you put me down for £140.00 this month please.

Good luck all.
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • philsmumphilsmum Forumite
    149 posts
    Mother Shipton.
    I agree with you, I was doing really well until Christmas and its all gone to pot. Prices are going up all the time.
    Pat
    Debt free from April 2012:T:T:T:T:j:j:j:j
  • MorganarlaMorganarla Forumite
    708 posts
    Hi all :)

Would love to join in this challenge, can I be put down for £60 just for April please? First month in new house, so trying to use up stockpile to save pennies. That'll be for me, DH when he comes over (currently separated :( ), all toiletries and cleaning stuff, one ancient cat and one little puppy!
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Hi Moniker, I just read about your choc muffins and wondered if you could salvage them and do a bread & butter choc type pud out of them? You could add sugar and soak overnight in egg and milk and then bake. It would save wasting them...

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's too late! In any case with only me and DH here we would be eating the pudding for a week - 12 muffins is an awful lot of cake - and we only eat puds at the weekends!

Thanks again.

Moniker
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I promised I would post the lemon pud recipe so here it is:

Petits Pots au Citron (Little pots of lemon)

3/4pt (430mls) double cream
    grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
    4 oz (125gms) caster sugar

Put all the ingredients into a small pan and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Then allow to bubble briskly for exactly 5 minutes. Keep an eye on it - it is prone to boil over. Take the pan off the heat and leave to infuse for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture into a jug and then pour into 6 - 8 small containers (I half filled white wine glasses - small coffee cups are also good) - you don't need a lot of this as it is very rich. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before serving. Any leftovers(!) can be frozen to make a lemony ice cream.

I had an unexpected extra person to lunch, and as i had only filled three glasses I defrosted the frozen bit in the fridge and it was quite soft and creamy when I served it. It's nice served with a small layer of cream on top and a plain biscuit.

Enjoy!

Moniker
  • edited 4 April 2010 at 9:12PM
    hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    edited 4 April 2010 at 9:12PM
    Moniker - that sounds lovely.
    Ragz - we are having the globe artichokes for supper later. DH and I had the salad pots sauteed earlier and they were lovely, but a small portion for two people, never mind four. I was hoping it would stop me from veg shopping but it will not.
    wssla00- thank for the recipe, [STRIKE]looking forward to it [/STRIKE] had it for supper after the artichokes. I used value noodles, lazy chillies and turkey because that was what we had and it was superb and stupidly cheap. Thank you very much :A.
    winchelsea - Thanks for the Riverford suggestion - I need to stick with A&C for another 3 weeks for the £50 but will try Riverford next. I have also found a local scheme which seems to be local but not organic which suits me.

We got six new hens today, they should start laying in the next few weeks which means lots more eggs in my meal plans :T:j. I have struggled while we have been down to 2 hens and I mind paying £1.50 for 6 eggs to bake with. The hens themself cost £36 but I will not include them in my GC budget, I do include their feed and straw though along wiht the other pets. Given that I spend an extra £3 a week on eggs they should pay for themselves fairly quickly.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • dazzle21dazzle21 Forumite
    2K posts
    Evening everyone, I hope you have all had a lovely Easter! For dinner we had roast duck, which purchased from the freezer section in Mr T post Xmas at a bargain price so it helped make a very MSE dinner :D So far this month, we have spent £100 (i'm rounding up!). Still have meal planning needing to be done! But hopefully we can stay well within budget this month. I can see in the next few days we will need milk again! Going to read back through the thread now! :D
    August: £149/£150

Sept: £200