April 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 23

New Post Advanced Search

April 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 March 2010 at 3:29PM in Old Style MoneySaving
897 replies 59.4K views

Replies

• MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    Well I was hoping for a NSD today but I made a batch of yummy chocolate muffins this morning and discovered after I had taken them out of the oven that I had forgotton to put the sugar in! I had to pop out and buy some stuff so I could make another batch - good job I discovered this before giving them to MIL tomorrow tea time! I hate throwing stuff away but they were truly inedible.

Have also made a pud for tomorrow callled Petits Pots au Citron - basically lemon juice and rind, sugar and lots of double cream. I will see how they taste and post the recipe if they're ok! (Should be as recipe came from MIL!)

I also had a thorough spring clean of my utility room (it's a conservatory type room but not big enough or grand enough to be called that!). I had been drying lots of washing in there over the winter (I am too mean to use the tumble drier except for towels) and there was loads of mould growing on the window frames - I washed this off with the famous Stardrops in hot water with a dash of bleach added. Then I cleaned the windows. It's all sparkly and smells great out there now and I can polish my halo!

Have a peaceful Easter everyone.

Love

Moniker
  • Hi Moniker, I just read about your choc muffins and wondered if you could salvage them and do a bread & butter choc type pud out of them? You could add sugar and soak overnight in egg and milk and then bake. It would save wasting them...
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • WinchelseaWinchelsea Forumite
    693 posts
    ✭✭
    NSD today - and gin has just reminded me (for one - anyone else?!) that tomorrow will be almost certainly be another. I'd forgotten about all shops closing on Easter Sunday, so will have to have another fridge and store cupboard day.

Did well today. Finished up the pizza I made from scratch yesterday, served with purple sprouting from the veg. box. Everything else from ingredients etc already here. Made a loaf in my breadmaker this afternoon - added some walnuts which I chopped fine with a sharp knife.

We have our veg. box from Riverford, and their "seasons" box is about right for us as long as we have a normal week. If out and about more than usual it can be a struggle using it up.

After our upcoming holiday I'm going to give their Small box a try.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • CleosmumCleosmum Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are you allowed to do that just on the basis of taste? They might be offended if I go in saying their gravy is foul! :rotfl:

Well Mr T let you return things even if its just down to taste, if the product fails you then you can return it for a refund.
  • Keiss_21Keiss_21 Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Hi Moniker, I just read about your choc muffins and wondered if you could salvage them and do a bread & butter choc type pud out of them? You could add sugar and soak overnight in egg and milk and then bake. It would save wasting them...
    I was going to suggest that too Desperate Housewife. I have done this with bread that stuck in a couple of my old loaf tins, and only came out in bits (I have nice Lakeland tins now :D). I froze what I didn't use first time...and will use some tomorrow to make B&B pudding (without any added fat) for tea...hopefully this will cheer DS2 up as he had to come home early today from his week-long rugby tournament before playing any matches. He has stomach cramps, a high temperature and his sugar levels are far too high (he is diabetic)...so is a really upset boy tonight. :(

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone....and yes...the shops are shut tomorrow! So lots of NSDs methinks!!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb

• jintybjintyb Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Are you allowed to do that just on the basis of taste? They might be offended if I go in saying their gravy is foul! :rotfl:

Personally, I would take them back, they can only say "no". But they wont! - Ive done it in A*da without any probs. I actually take stif back much more frequently as I hate when I buy something and its a let down. The last was a roll of foil which wouldnt unwind properly - cost £1 got £2.50 back for my "inconvenience"!:)

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I've not had time to check in sooner but I am happy to report 4 NSDs in a row! Wow, I'm feeling quite good about myself now. :) With the shops closed today I'm sure today'll be another one too, but we'll probably have to go somewhere tomorrow and there could be the odd spend here and there. I'm hoping not, anyway. So, so far my £200 for April is intact. And I'm happy!

Tea tonight is a very nice and light Black Bean Chicken and Noodles (sadly from a jar as I'm not good enough at making Chinese yet). The rest of the day will be spent doing my mealplan for the week. Hope you all have a good day.

KB xx

• ChangingmeChangingme Forumite
    317 posts
    Fisrt shop of the month for me yesterday and have sent total of £86.83,like Cheapskate I also fail badly at this.I have brought a couple of jars of coffee and large box of tea bags that were on offer an as of for 2 weeks am going to do some baking and I might be brave and do something with the 2 chicken carcas I will have after dinner today.:easter_os
    Save £4500 in 2014
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Happy Easter to everyone!
    Just been doing a little mealplan for the week and its actually looking OK for a while at least.

Today we're having the well known traditional Easter Sunday dinner of sweet potato curry, rice, naan bread, onion bhajis, samosas and chana masala! Yum!

PS and easter eggs for afters!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • mookiepookmookiepook Forumite
    236 posts
    Hi everyone - have just sorted out our finances and as we've just filled the freezer (and because I forgot to post on payday) can you put me down for £100 please cos I budget from payday to payday and that should be achievable from now till next payday. Thanks everyone. Intend to have a couple of NSD's this week - need to stay in and spring clean rather than shop. In fact, I'm off now to do a list of jobs so that I can tick them off when completed - how satisfying! Have a lovely day everyone xx
    Sober October = 0 alcohol free days
    Weight lost so far = 0lb
    No spend days so far = 0