Weezl's phase 1- recipe testing and frugalisation- come one, come all!

edited 4 April 2010 at 8:33AM in How much have you saved?
4.7K replies 305.9K views

Replies

• edited 2 April 2010 at 9:58AM
    grandma247grandma247 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 April 2010 at 9:58AM
    NP I think that the totally from scratch way of making sourdough is a much longer process taking around ten days or more I think. I don't think it is that easy either as things can go wrong and for shirl it might be a waste that would put her off. I know that if I was just starting out like them without the knowledge I have gained over the years, then making sourdough from scratch would be terrifying.
  • nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    grandma247 wrote: »
    http://www.vegsoc.org.au/forum_messages.asp?Thread_ID=5165&Topic_ID=6
    There are some very good explanations on this thread about yeast and sourdough.
    :T:T:T:T

Now ... thats a link, I like :D
    :iloveyou:

grandma247 wrote: »
    NP I think that the totally from scratch way of making sourdough is a much longer process taking around ten days or more I think. I don't think it is that easy either as things can go wrong and for shirl it might be a waste that would put her off. I know that if I was just starting out like them without the knowledge I have gained over the years, then making sourdough would be terrifying.

Aye... I have to agree with you there Grandma....
    Not only that, stress, would be the only thing achieved if it didn't work out... and I dont think thats an option.
    The length of time is not so good either...
    But even with the Amish bread, which used dried yeast, the starter took 10 days:eek:
    Maybe a plan further down the line ??
    But I dont think its for this one
  • AllegraAllegra Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    nopot2pin wrote: »
    I am a size 8 .... in shoes :rotfl::rotfl:
    I will say no more ;)

I'm a size 9 in shoes :p And in clothes, size 16 and proud :cool: The parameters do change somewhat when you are 6ft tall ! My DD is 13 and a size 10 !!! , and skinny as a rake with it.
  • weezl74weezl74 Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    Allegra wrote: »
    Hey you :) Fancy telling the good people of Weezl's Ministry of Food how you feel about being a guinea pig for the meal planner ?
    I was really hoping !!!!!! would answer this but he's gone ominously quiet! Mind you, from !!!!!! a 3 out of ten means 'I'd eat it again weekly', so I think you are amazingly tolerant of guinea piggery :D

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • nopot2pinnopot2pin Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Allegra wrote: »
    I'm a size 9 in shoes :p And in clothes, size 16 and proud :cool: The parameters do change somewhat when you are 6ft tall ! My DD is 13 and a size 10 !!! , and skinny as a rake with it.

I am 5ft 9 :cool:
    I love it :D
    I love wearing high heels :D
    I cant really walk very well in them though :o:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • aless02aless02 Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    that's a really weird coincidence, because I'm just rising my 1st sourdough loaf ever this morning! It is a HUGE amount of faff, to be honest, and consider how much yeast is a measely part of the budget, I'd be inclined to say that Shirley would likely not bother :o. Also, I think you spend more in flour than you save in yeast.

(unfortunately I timed this experiment poorly as we just ran out of normal bread, so I need to make a batch as well, since this sourdough is only making 1 loaf! :eek:)

You have to throw away 1/2 the starter because that's what keeps the starter feeding. It's not wasteful - it's chemistry! Also, I think keeping around the old bits too long creates hooch, and if Shirley wanted beer bread she would've asked for it! :D
    top 2013 wins: iPad, £50 dental care, £50 sportswear, £50 Nectar GC, £300 B&Q GC; jewellery, Bumbo, 12xPringles, 2xDiesel EDT, £25 Morrisons, £50 Loch Fyne

would like to win a holiday, please!!
    :xmassmile Mummy to Finn - 12/09; Micah - 08/12! :j
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could be a way of making frugal alcohol as there is no room in the budget for it :)

I'm nervous enough of 'normal bread making' and I have reduced bread in the freezer as a back up.
  • Allegra wrote: »

I'm a size 8 to 9 in shoe as well, and I'm not sure how tall I am! When I was at school, the school nurse measured me and always said (in secondary school) I was 5ft 11 3/4", and I always said I was 6ft because I thought they were just being kind by taking off the 1/4". Most of my contemporaries fitted under my armpit. But when I was 40'odd, the coach in the gym measured me and said I was 5ft 10 1/2", so take your pick really. Whatever it is, I often feel EXTREMELY tall, however that is getting less as the next generation come through as they are taller. I can even get trousers long enough fairly easily now (33 1/2" inside leg)

(and I wish I was a size 14, that would be slim for my height - getting there)

Edit - I wear high heels too as I might as well, there's no point trying to be average height!
  • FrankieMFrankieM Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm feel positively tiny (height wise) at 5ft 6! Size 8 shoes...and a size (cough) in clothes...lets leave the meeting up till quite a bit later in the year ;)
  • shanks77 wrote: »
    SIZE 10!!!!!!!!!!! I knew i could find a reason to hate you:rotfl:I have never been a 10 in my life I dont think my left leg is a size 10. Disgusting you must be one of these really disciplined people who can stop at one piece of chocolate damm you woman you must have a failing you must:)

Its true...shes skinny but if its any consolation I'm a 24 and 5ft nowt so hopefully that may make people feel a bit better? :o Can confirm alas that she is very disciplined...am hoping that by being friends I can get some willpower by osmosis....:D hasnt worked yet though!!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Fans demand refunds from Leeds Festival

...after Rage Against The Machine pulls out

MSE News

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Check out last week's energy-themed Q&A with MSE's experts

MSE Forum

Free museums & galleries

Where to get your culture fix across the UK

MSE Deals