gas price rise

in N. Ireland
15 replies 986 views
i am suprised that this thread has not been started b4 this, what do people think? is gas heating cheaper than oil heating, phoenix is to rise by over 14% this week thats over 50% in the last 12 months WOW... on da news today..
Filiss

Replies

• im completley sicked by pheonix gas i think they lured us in like little lambs to the slaughter i don,t think they should get away with this at all apparently were paying 33% more than the rest of uk how sick is that i say more competition is needed in n.ireland
  • I work in a heavy manufacturing plant and we are one of the biggest gas users in the UK. Our gas cost has increased by 40% from a year ago - and that is with our bargaining / buying power.

You can vent your agression all you like at Pheonix but they are only passing on the cost increases that they are suffering due to the commodity markets. They are just the middle man, I'd guarantee you that the cost they buy their gas has increased by 40-50% over the last year, you know that no company can operate at a loss.

If you want to blame anything it is world events over the past 12 months that have caused the huge price increases, not Pheonix.
  • The real truth is that Gas is a byproduct of oil production. If they could not sell it to us, it would be wasted. Natural Gas prices are not directly linked to the price of the barrel of oil. As usual the greedy fat cats are jumping on the band wagon, oil is expensive so they know we won't switch to that source but they don't want to keep gas cheap, when you can make more money out of everyone.

Pheonix quoted that the "wholesale" price of gas had risen; therefore prices had to rise. Taking my point from above, ask yourself why then have prices risen so much!!:confused:
  • Ok Chap spoke to 2day says that he used to use oil heating , changed to gas 3/years ago he now regreats it he say oil would be cheaper to heat his home than his Gas .... what do other people think???? just for the record he said about £45 per month for a 3bed semi 2ppl living sounds dear for heating to me what do other ppl pay for heating?????
    Filiss
  • So the wholesale Gas prices has now tumbled; Too much supply; Are the Gas companies going to pass on the price falls. You guessed it, NO! At least when oil drops in price, home heating oil drops to reflect the changes!!! I would call Phoenix and complain!!
  • bookloverbooklover Forumite
    883 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    1thorus wrote:
    im completley sicked by pheonix gas i think they lured us in like little lambs to the slaughter i don,t think they should get away with this at all apparently were paying 33% more than the rest of uk how sick is that i say more competition is needed in n.ireland

I so agree with you. We are currently paying £139 per month to Phoenix Gas and now this new increase will soon be here! :angry:

I am really angry about this and dont know how we will be pay this not to mention the Rates. :mad:

Wonder if there is anything we can do about this!! :confused:

Fiona
  • Calm down people.

The price of wholesale gas fell to 5p a therm (or something like that) on Monday - however this price was only available to companies who were able to take supply that day. In practice very few companies would have been able to take advantage of this extremley low price as they would have all fixed their prices for a set time period, ie a month, a quarter or a year. In fact the reason it was so low in price is because there were no customers available to take the gas on that day, as everyone was otherwise contracted.

All that news story has done is stirred the hornet's nest with the public - see the gist of this thread for proof of this.

As I have already stated on this thread I work in a company with a huge gas bill. Because the price of gas has risen so much over the past 2 years we have fixed our gas price, so that we can budget effectively. What this means is that when gas is available at super low prices (like this week) we are unable to take advantage of the low prices as we have already contracted to take the gas at a higher price.
    Pheonix will have been in exactly the same position - it will have been frustrating for them not to be able to take advantage of these low prices, but they will have been unable to due to the reasons explained above.
  • OK,here goes, a Statement, and a question;
    Statement - I pay Phoenix £151/mth. for heating and hot water (£1812/year).
    Question - Would I be better off switching to oil?
    Can anyone come up with comparison figures?
    Many thanks.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • marcaismarcais Forumite
    952 Posts
    900 litres will generally last me a minimum of 3 months during peak usage in the winter. At current oil prices that's about £100 a month, but would have been as high as £120 a month or so recently.
  • Ok, so the wholesale gas prices has fallen by a huge amount but the gas people tell me that it will be 9 months before we see any reduction (next winter). Nice for them.:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides