Pixmania problems - a warning

Replies

• Tv ordered from Pixmania on the 01/01/10 is finally arriving on the 20th. Poor service but at least it is arriving.
  • partner03 wrote: »
    Tv ordered from Pixmania on the 01/01/10 is finally arriving on the 20th. Poor service but at least it is arriving.

Lol, ......don't count your chickens!!!

1. It hasn't arrived yet, so they can still screw it up.

2. Even if they do deliver, you can't be sure they are going to deliver the right one

3. Even if they do deliver the right one, you can't be sure they are going to deliver all the bits [missing lens for a camera or remote for a tv, anyone]

4. Even if they do deliver all the bits for the right one, you can't be sure it's going to work....25 dead pixels anyone??

If you think I'm pessimistic....that's Pi55mania for you.
  • BFG wrote: »
    Lol, ......don't count your chickens!!!

1. It hasn't arrived yet, so they can still screw it up.

2. Even if they do deliver, you can't be sure they are going to deliver the right one

3. Even if they do deliver the right one, you can't be sure they are going to deliver all the bits [missing lens for a camera or remote for a tv, anyone]

4. Even if they do deliver all the bits for the right one, you can't be sure it's going to work....25 dead pixels anyone??

If you think I'm pessimistic....that's Pi55mania for you.

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth, got a bit carried way then.
  • Further to my original post, I did FINALLY get it sorted out with Pixmania. I used a variety of emails (a lot of them appearing on the Pixmania are Rubbish website) and the mediator one (shown in the post from Pixmania themselves) finally did the trick as I got a telephone call from a really pleasant man in Paris who sorted out compensation for my bad service and dirty carpets etc. He said they would be dealing with their Erith delivery centre as a result of my complaint, I hope that wasnt just to shut me up as the chap who delivered my cooker was nothing short of a thug. Anyway they did try to offer me £50 vouchers to be used on their site but I stuck to my guns as this was of no use to me and finally they listened...... my advice is dont give up. I would just concur with everyone on here they are truly dreadful to deal with though.......it seems like they just hope you will go away eventually if they grind you down enough.
  • xanthexanthe Forumite
    329 Posts
    Going to request a chargeback from my credit card today.

Tues 23 Feb - Placed order for a laptop

Thurs 25 Feb - Received call from Pixmania asking me to send proof of address and ID. Sent off proof to [email protected] (Stupid, I know)

Fri 26 Feb - Received reminder asking for proof again

Mon 1 Mar - Sent off proof AGAIN

Tues 2 Mar - Emailed customer services via the contact form on pixmania website

Thurs 4 Mar - Customer services emailed saying they've sent a message to the validation team and will contact me when they get a reply

Wed 10 Mar - Not heard anything from them since so I phoned customer services. Gave me number for validation team. They claimed they never received any proof from me. Said she will look into it and call me back.

Now I know they had no intention of validating or dispatching my order. Thing is... they have already taken the money from my credit card in February!! So I'm gonna call my credit company today.
  • Just wondering if anyone has made any attempts to put their views across to the CEO of Pixmania, Steve_Rosenblum, (located in Paris), via Twitter or Facebook? According to his Tweets, all is very rosey in PixWorld!

I think I may resort to that type of measure myself because my issues with them date back to 2007. If I were not 'tied in' with them because of some terrible voucher redemption system that they operate, I would be happy to never hear their name mentioned again.

I am presently still waiting for the promised 24-hour response to my query:- from 18 March 2010.

Truly THE worst customer service experience in my 39 years.
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    @xanthe

I had a similar expereince to you with Pixmania a few years ago. They took money from my credit card but never despatched the item!

When I contacted them, they said they cannot despatch until I prove my identity! I said fair enough, but why did you take my money before asking for identity? They could not give an answer.

Then I asked why, having taken my money did they not inform me that I have to provde my identity? Again they had no answer. I did get the product I ordered but the instructions were in French!

Whenever I do on-line price comparisons now, I simply ignore Pixmania even if they are the cheapest!
  • masai_2masai_2 Forumite
    27 Posts
    I bought a Toshiba 37" TV in March last year for £425 from pixmania, so its just over the 1 year manufacturer warranty. And as luck would have it, it wont turn on now!

So I called pixmania customer services on Monday 10th May and explained the situation. At first they said I will need to send it to them and they will send it to the manufacturer and then get back to me with a price for the repair. I wasn't happy with the prospect of paying a costly repair when the TV is just outside the 1 year warranty, so I started spouted some Sales of goods act stuff at them (Didn't know they were based in France at that point) and then I was told they will speak to head office and get back to me.

The next day, on Tuesday, I received an email with a couple of PDF's. One was a returns label and another an incident report. But I still unsure if it was a free repair and whether I had to ship it back to them at my own expense.

So I called again to query those 2 points and was told they will speak to head office again and get back to me.

The next day, Wednesday, I received another email with a pre-paid UPS label for the parcel but still know confirmation as to whether or not the repair was free or not. So I rang again and again I was told they will speak to head office and get back to me.

So yesterday, I had not received an email so I called again and was told YES YOUR REPAIR WILL BE FREE AND IF IT CANNOT BE REPAIRED YOU WILL RECEIVE A REFUND. She went' on to say make sure you include all accessories and packaging incase it cannot be repaired. Result! I thought, they are picking it up for free and fixing it for free or I'm getting a refund, can't say fairer than that.

So today (Friday 14th May 2010) the UPS man came to pick up the TV. About an hour later I received this email...

"Dear Mr. XXX,

we are unable to quote a price for the reparation of your product before we have the product in our warehouse. It will be sent to the manufacturer and then we will be able to establish the price. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Team Pixmania
    Pixmania.com
    : Number 1 in Europe. Low prices guaranteed. Always in stock.
    Pixmania is a Fotovista company."

What the hell?? So I called them again and explained that I was told I was getting a free repair or refund and that the TV was just picked up by the courier and is on route to you and then I received this email, whats going on?He told me there is no information about it being a free repair, after 1 year has passed it is chargeable. He is going to speak to head office and get back to me on Monday. I said to him that if it was not going to be a free repair, why would I send it all the way to France when I could get it repaired myself here in the UK.

So legally where do I stand? I take it that the sales of goods act is not relevant as pixmania are a French company? What about any EU laws that may be applicable? I just want to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible as reading all the comments about pixmania it seems Iv'e got a battle on my hands!

I paid for the TV using paypal, £80 was already in my paypal account and the rest was lifted from my MasterCard credit card if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
  • superscapersuperscaper Forumite
    13.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    masai wrote: »
    I bought a Toshiba 37" TV in March last year for £425 from pixmania, so its just over the 1 year manufacturer warranty. And as luck would have it, it wont turn on now!

So I called pixmania customer services on Monday 10th May and explained the situation. At first they said I will need to send it to them and they will send it to the manufacturer and then get back to me with a price for the repair. I wasn't happy with the prospect of paying a costly repair when the TV is just outside the 1 year warranty, so I started spouted some Sales of goods act stuff at them (Didn't know they were based in France at that point) and then I was told they will speak to head office and get back to me.

The next day, on Tuesday, I received an email with a couple of PDF's. One was a returns label and another an incident report. But I still unsure if it was a free repair and whether I had to ship it back to them at my own expense.

So I called again to query those 2 points and was told they will speak to head office again and get back to me.

The next day, Wednesday, I received another email with a pre-paid UPS label for the parcel but still know confirmation as to whether or not the repair was free or not. So I rang again and again I was told they will speak to head office and get back to me.

So yesterday, I had not received an email so I called again and was told YES YOUR REPAIR WILL BE FREE AND IF IT CANNOT BE REPAIRED YOU WILL RECEIVE A REFUND. She went' on to say make sure you include all accessories and packaging incase it cannot be repaired. Result! I thought, they are picking it up for free and fixing it for free or I'm getting a refund, can't say fairer than that.

So today (Friday 14th May 2010) the UPS man came to pick up the TV. About an hour later I received this email...

"Dear Mr. XXX,

we are unable to quote a price for the reparation of your product before we have the product in our warehouse. It will be sent to the manufacturer and then we will be able to establish the price. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Best regards,

Team Pixmania
    Pixmania.com : Number 1 in Europe. Low prices guaranteed. Always in stock.
    Pixmania is a Fotovista company."

What the hell?? So I called them again and explained that I was told I was getting a free repair or refund and that the TV was just picked up by the courier and is on route to you and then I received this email, whats going on?He told me there is no information about it being a free repair, after 1 year has passed it is chargeable. He is going to speak to head office and get back to me on Monday. I said to him that if it was not going to be a free repair, why would I send it all the way to France when I could get it repaired myself here in the UK.

So legally where do I stand? I take it that the sales of goods act is not relevant as pixmania are a French company? What about any EU laws that may be applicable? I just want to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible as reading all the comments about pixmania it seems Iv'e got a battle on my hands!

I paid for the TV using paypal, £80 was already in my paypal account and the rest was lifted from my MasterCard credit card if that makes any difference?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

There isn't an EU law as such, there's a directive which is implemented in each country. In UK it's implemented as the Sale of Goods Act. You'd basically need to find out France's equivalent and implementation of the directive.

From UK side of things I think you may have luck with the Credit Consumer Act (section 75) if it was more than £100 used on the credit card. Then you can pursue your credit card under the same conditions as the Sale of Goods Act as if they were the retailer since they're equally liable. Whether in practice it's a huge fight and struggle to pursue is another matter.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • DrScotsmanDrScotsman Forumite
    996 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    From UK side of things I think you may have luck with the Credit Consumer Act (section 75) if it was more than £100 used on the credit card. Then you can pursue your credit card under the same conditions as the Sale of Goods Act as if they were the retailer since they're equally liable. Whether in practice it's a huge fight and struggle to pursue is another matter.

Is that definitely true?

S75: "If the debtor ... has ... any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor."

You said it yourself, Pixmania aren't liable under the British SOGA, only a French equivalent. By the wording of section 75, if you don't have a claim against Pixmania under UK SOGA then you won't have one against the credit card company.

Don't get me wrong, I really want you to be correct, and I know it doesn't make a wad of sense that a British credit card company could be held to French law in a British court, but that's how the section reads to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides