New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Shopping Tip

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
22 replies 8K views
SeyeSeye Forumite
21 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Hi folks,

Probably alot of you do this but I thought I would post anyway incase it helps at least one person.

When shopping I could not believe how little I was getting for my money, I was £50 for apsolutely nothing. What I started doing was using my phone calculator when doing a shopping and was amazed at how I am consitently sticking to my shopping budget and how much food I am getting for my money. No more surpirises at the checkout now :j

Replies

• Deep_In_DebtDeep_In_Debt Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good advice.

Have to admit, I take a calculator shopping with me - sad I know, but it does help.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • When I see people in supermarkets with calculators I always feel sorry for them.:o
  • :D It would make no difference to me if I took a calculator in to the shop, I would still find some thing extra to buy that wasn't on my list lol lol

only way I can stick to a budget, is to do a menu plan and check my cupboards then sit and do a shopping list on line, cant find free delivery so I have it delivered on a wednesday when its cheapest.:j

I admit I'm a flamin liability in a supermarket !!!!!:eek:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    life sometimes gets in the way of good intentions:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    LBM :idea: march2010 at £22,000_pale_

DMP Paddle no: 17 :T

:j [STRIKE]£8o [/STRIKE] £270 from E-Bay so far this month :j
  • bluebagbluebag Forumite
    2.5K posts
    I do find it much cheaper to leave the kids and OH at home.
    bb
  • Deep_In_DebtDeep_In_Debt Forumite
    8.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    And don't shop when you are hungry either!
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • SeyeSeye Forumite
    21 posts
    Wow wrote: »
    When I see people in supermarkets with calculators I always feel sorry for them.:o

Why?

I have a choice to get more for my money or to land at the check out with an almost certain unpleasant surprise. It may not work for you but it works for me so don't feel sorry.
  • PetlambPetlamb Forumite
    921 posts
    Like others, I've been known to use my phone calculator when I need to stick to a budget - one less thing to think of and means you can focus on the task at hand of getting the best value for your money!
    On the up :D
    Our wedding day! 13/06/15
  • DGJsaverDGJsaver Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Large Aero bars are £0.50 at the moment in Tesco , calculator or not , they are a cert for the basket..
  • beemuzedbeemuzed Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    We always used to shop with a calculator when the kids were small (a very long time ago!) as we literally couldn't afford to have a nasty surprise at the checkout. Not sure we had creditcards to use then - I am talking nearly forty years ago - and I used to pay cash.
    I recent years I've always tried to use a list. I have an A4 sheet on my computer which has all our basics listed, plus a small space in which to write anything not listed. The idea is to go through the week's planned meals and check cleaning cupboards etc before going shopping and highlight everything I'll need for the coming week. Then I have no excuse to purchase extras! Doing this helped to cut our bills just as using the calculator used to.
    Sadly, since retiring I'm tempted to shop more often - and I find I'm buying more again.
    So - well done you Seye for using the calculator! I'm going back to my list. I guess we all need something to check the impulse to spend more than we need.
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • I used to just go in with my trolley and pick any ole thing off the shelves and so on. Most was stuff we didnt need or even want.

NOW i go in with a shopping list of what we NEED every week, it is cheaper and also cuts down the shopping time. Im in and out in 15mins normally.
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.