»

Grrr - blue badge - Page 52

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

Grrr - blue badge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
518 replies 37K views
1464748495052»

Replies

• CUTESMILECUTESMILE Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    This is something that really gets on mine and my hubbys nerves.

Where ever we go, morrisons, asda and other places which have disabled parking spaces which are taken up by cars without blue badges in them or even worse the driver just sat there in the car when they surely could park somewhere else and let someone else use the space who actually needs it. A few weeks ago we saw a taxi driver sat in a space displaying a blue badge and again the following week we saw another one in morrisons with a badge sat there with his window wound down and a cup of coffee on his dash board and not a take away coffee but a proper cup which must've been from home.

Ooh another annoying this is that old people automatically think that they have the god given right to park in the spaces without badges cos they're old.

Some people obviously abuse the scheme as you see a lot of people using them and obviously borrowed them off other people.

I think that there should be checks in car parking places and if a car hasn't displayed a badge then they should be clamped and given some kind of penalty.

Some people just cant be bothered to walk ie to the pub for instance and just park in the disabled space and I'm sure if they in the future experience the full extent of how a disability affects a person or their carer then hopefully they'd be more respectful.
    2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge
  • Tally-Ho_2Tally-Ho_2 Forumite
    369 posts
    CUTESMILE wrote: »
    Where ever we go, morrisons, asda and other places which have disabled parking spaces which are taken up by cars without blue badges in them or even worse the driver just sat there in the car when they surely could park somewhere else and let someone else use the space who actually needs it. A few weeks ago we saw a taxi driver sat in a space displaying a blue badge and again the following week we saw another one in morrisons with a badge sat there with his window wound down and a cup of coffee on his dash board and not a take away coffee but a proper cup which must've been from home.

Have you considered the fact, that the taxi may have taken a disabled person (with a blue badge) shopping and is waiting for the disabled person to return to the car?. I often do this if I cannot drive myself, or find someone to drive me for some reason. The taxi driver parks in a disabled space, uses my blue badge and waits for me to return to the car. Perfectly legally - so what if the driver has a drink of coffee whilst waiting for me - I am not bothered about that in one bit, as long as the car is where I departed from it when I emerge from the shop either in the wheelchair or on my crutches.

Tally
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    I was thinking that too Tally-Ho, the driver of a car has nothing to do with it, it's the disabled person who counts. Although it must cost a fortune for you to pay a taxi driver to wait for you while you do your shopping, have you thought about doing it online and getting it delivered?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ames wrote: »
    I was thinking that too Tally-Ho, the driver of a car has nothing to do with it, it's the disabled person who counts. Although it must cost a fortune for you to pay a taxi driver to wait for you while you do your shopping, have you thought about doing it online and getting it delivered?

Hi,

Yes, I do normally shop at tesco on line, but if I only need a couple of things it works out okay using the taxi to Morrisons (which is closer, but they do not deliver anyway). I tend to always use the same 'one man company' taxi and providing I do not cross his busy times (such as school leaving time where he has a contract, or theatre leaving times etc) then he only charges me a couple of quid to wait upto about 15 to 20 minutes which isn't bad at all. I am pretty flexible with him as to when I go to Morrisons so it works both ways.

I suppose I could get him to drop me off and then ring for him when I have finished, but I could end up waiting around - so much easier just to pay him a bit extra
    to wait.

Tally
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    Wow, a considerate helpful taxi driver, I didn't know such a thing existed!
  • CUTESMILECUTESMILE Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    One taxi driver was sat there well over an hour and the other one we saw there was only a post office there and my husband had been in and come out and he was sat there just reading his paper.

We went to hospital today as my hubby had an appointment at hydrotherapy and guess what we couldn't get parked as 3/4's of the disabled bays were taken up by none disabled people. My hubby had to leave his therapy early as it had taken too much out of him and he had to struggle to the car and 2 of the bays were now empty but as we were getting into the car another person went to ticket machine to pay for a ticket and just was not bothered about taking a bay up which are very much needed for people who do have blue badges and very much need them.

I'd never dream of lining a taxi's pockets with money that was very much needed by us by using them to go shopping as it is hard enough to get around a shop with my hubby in his wheel chair as people just dawdle around and stop in the middle of the aisles to start talking. Even worse is that you wait ages in the queue as no disabled check outs.

If my hubby uses a shop chair then I have to lift him out and get him onto his crutches and then push the trolly whilst he hobbles next to me and walking a long way makes him in such immense pain and if hes in his own chair that can also be annoying as I have to put my trolley away, carry all the bags and sometimes try and push him if hes very tired then walk to where ever the car is parked and then pack it all away.

I can see both sides of the argument but it not only affects the disabled person but also the carer who is with them who has to struggle to juggle a lot of things at once and making sure they are safe whilst getting to and from the car.
    2020 wins - Espire passes for Gatwick airport lounge
  • Cutesmile,

Not everyone has a carer to go shopping with them.

I haven't, hence I pay for a txi to take me shopping, and pay his waiting time whilst I go around the shop in my chair to do my shopping (and it is sometimes well over an hour and like someone posted above the taxi driver uses my blue badge for my convenience). When I wheel out of the shop, I know exactly where my taxi is and go over to it.

Just because you would 'not dream of lining a taxi drivers pockets' does not mean we all do. Some of us do it out of covenience, others necessity or in my case a mixture of both.

DA.
  • AmesAmes Forumite
    18.5K posts
    I too don't have a carer. I'm in the middle of getting a PA through direct payments and I asked for enough time to have help going shopping and I was just told to do it online, which is what I do. But my internet costs aren't counted as part of my outgoings in the financial assessment!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support