Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

Nationwide bank account/travelling

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Nationwide bank account/travelling

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
5 replies 1.8K views
Joho42Joho42 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Hi guys, I could really do with some advice.

I tried to open a Nationwide flexaccount (current account) the other day although I was declined. Reading some other posts, it seems as if Nationwide are fairly picky with who they give these accounts to. My credit file will have no black marks as far as I'm aware (I am in the process of getting it checked), so I'm not sure why I was rejected.

My first question is, despite me asking them not to, the lady doing my application put the application through with me wanting an overdraft with the account, whereas I was content not to have one. She did it anyway, but would the fact that the application went through with me wanting an overdraft on the account affect my chances of getting the account?

In other words, would I be more likely to be successful in my application if I applied and didnt want an overdraft on the account?

Secondly, the reason I am getting this account is because it seems to be the best for use abroad, and I am going travelling round the world later this year. Is the Nationwide account the best for this? I have also looked at the section on the best cards, and on one of the websites there is no charges on ATMs anywhere in the world, no fees etc, no loading fees; but instead they make money through their exchange rate whereever they are (which doesnt seem too high..).

What would people recommend me to go for? Another option is always upgrading my HSBC account to a HSBC plus account to use abroad, although that is a monthly charge?

Bit of a long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Replies

• cheqmate06cheqmate06 Forumite
    211 posts
    i received letter today to say their basic flex account was being upgraded to cash card+. It seems to say that between june and september10 these new cards will replace old flex account with added incentive that it will have visa facilities. The major downside seems to be that you will be charged for ATM withdrawl abroad with this card.
    Not sure if this is fo all card holders but as my credit rating isn't brill and was declined recently by Nationwide for visa debit i assume everyone will be getting this.
  • BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K posts
    cheqmate06 wrote: »
    The major downside seems to be that you will be charged for ATM withdrawl abroad with this card.
    According to Nationwide, this is incorrect:
    Please note: cash card+ cannot be used to withdraw cash from cash machines abroad
  • cheqmate06 wrote: »
    i received letter today to say their basic flex account was being upgraded to cash card+. It seems to say that between june and september10 these new cards will replace old flex account with added incentive that it will have visa facilities. The major downside seems to be that you will be charged for ATM withdrawl abroad with this card.
    Not sure if this is fo all card holders but as my credit rating isn't brill and was declined recently by Nationwide for visa debit i assume everyone will be getting this.

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/cash_card_account.htm

I think you are a little confused. The basic flexaccount is a completly different account to the flexaccount (which is the one joho is refering too). And is remaining the same for the forseable future.
    Proudly cashing in since 2006. . .
  • lfc84lfc84 Forumite
    334 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    ive got a flex account purley for the purpose of getting money out of atm abroad, and i got a letter today saying my nationwide cashcard was going to be changed to a cash card+ and it also states in the letter that the cash card+ cannot be used to get money out of an atm abroad.
  • BaldurBaldur Forumite
    6.6K posts
    lfc84 wrote: »
    ive got a flex account purley for the purpose of getting money out of atm abroad, and i got a letter today saying my nationwide cashcard was going to be changed to a cash card+ and it also states in the letter that the cash card+ cannot be used to get money out of an atm abroad.
    See the link in my post #3 above.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support