Yuk! Cheap Instant Coffee, Now What?

New Post Advanced Search

Yuk! Cheap Instant Coffee, Now What?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
12 replies 3.3K views
Justin_CreditJustin_Credit Forumite
157 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I made the mistake of buying a cheaper instant coffee than my usual brand last week. I don't feel I can drink it as it is but, in true moneysaving style, I feel loath to get rid of it.

Shall I

1 Cut my losses and throw it out?

2 Buy a jar of my usual brand and mix the two together hoping that this will be ok?

Or are there any other suggestions of what I can do to avoid wasting it?

Regards JC

Replies

• CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Offer it to guests you don't like very much?

Use it to make coffee cake, hopefully with the addition of lots of sugar milk flour eggs etc it might not taste too bad?

Good luck!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • mussgomussgo Forumite
    139 posts
    Or are there any other suggestions of what I can do to avoid wasting it?

i think it horses for courses, I am sure there are people (even amoungs your friends) who like this coffee. My own fave is safeway savers instant !!!!!!!

I have nescafe for visitors.

Tell your friends as you offer them a cup of the decent stuff that you have some of the other that needs a home!
    or try lbit of half and half and see if its palatable!

M
  • I'm afraid there's certain things I refuse to compromise on, and coffee is one of them :D

I always buy Nescafe for instant coffee ... and I always buy Heinz brand baked beans and tomato soup! None of the other brands come even close to satisfying me as much as these!

Sorry, that's not much help to you is it ... save it for guests ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• MATHMATH Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Have made the same mistake in the past. I bought a jar of my regular brand and added a couple of large spoonfulls of the undrinkable. It took a few months but I used it all up cos there was no way I could have thrown it away.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Thanks for all your replies.

I think I will have a go at gradually blending it with some of my regular stuff at least it will all get used up in the end.

It's a mistake I wont make again.

Cheers JC
  • loracan1loracan1 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    I drink the cheaper stuff first thing in the morning when I'm half asleep but switch to the good stuff later on when I can taste it.
  • student100student100 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    for a minute I thought this thread was by someone like me, but that would have just been
    "Yuk! Instant Coffee".

:)

Did you know that coffee comes from beans? :D
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
  • mogginsmoggins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    LOL, I'm the opposite, it has to be good coffee first thing in the morning and the I can stand drinking the cheaper stuff later on.

I've got quite fond of Tesco Classic coffee, it tastes like coffee should yet it's only about £2.50 for a 300g jar.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • beachbethbeachbeth Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    moggins wrote:
    LOL, I'm the opposite, it has to be good coffee first thing in the morning and the I can stand drinking the cheaper stuff later on.

I would have to do it this way too!

Another thing I do with coffee is to put 1 teaspoon in a cup with the smallest amount of warm water to dissolve it. I then add it to milk and vanilla angel delight to make coffee angel delight.

I used to love coffee angel delight and absolutely nobody makes it any more! This way I can still have it!
  • I could never compromise on coffee...I don't even allow instant into the house.

I like the coffee cake idea - but you would be living on it for a while.

Do you have any documents you need to age? :D